Re: Console and PC time

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2007
      Pete,

      The clock on my console should not drift much once you have it set
      correctly. My console can stay within a minute or two over a several
      month period.

      The reason it is important to keep the clocks in sync (for the WS-23XX
      consoles anyway), is because the console will attempt to receive the
      WWVB radio signal from 12am to 7am. When it is attempting to aquire the
      radio signal, the console will refuse to communication for a few
      minutes.

      When the clocks are set closely, WUHU will detect that the time sync is
      in progress and will not generate console communication errors in the
      log.

      Other than that, the clock on the console is not used.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@...>
      wrote:

      > Why is it so important to have the console time and the PC time within
      > 30 seconds of each other? I am using a time synchronizing program to
      > keep my PC synced to the world time servers but my console doesn't
      > seem to be receiving the WWVB clock signal. It always lags behind in
      time.

      > Pete

    • plasmaboy3
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2007
        Quite often I will get an error message in the log that says the two
        clocks are not within 30seconds of each other and today it stopped
        communicating with the console and uploading data.

        What does the 30 seconds of the clocks being so close have to do with
        anything of communicating between the PC and the console?

        Pete

        > Pete,
        >
        > The clock on my console should not drift much once you have it set
        > correctly. My console can stay within a minute or two over a several
        > month period.
        >
        > The reason it is important to keep the clocks in sync (for the WS-23XX
        > consoles anyway), is because the console will attempt to receive the
        > WWVB radio signal from 12am to 7am. When it is attempting to aquire
        the
        > radio signal, the console will refuse to communication for a few
        > minutes.
        >
        > When the clocks are set closely, WUHU will detect that the time sync
        is
        > in progress and will not generate console communication errors in the
        > log.
        >
        > Other than that, the clock on the console is not used.
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Why is it so important to have the console time and the PC time
        within
        > > 30 seconds of each other? I am using a time synchronizing program to
        > > keep my PC synced to the world time servers but my console doesn't
        > > seem to be receiving the WWVB clock signal. It always lags behind in
        > time.
        > >
        > > Pete

      • plasmaboy3
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
          This is the error message I get in the WUHU log

          Fri Apr 06 07:49:56 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console.
          Possible invalid/corrupt data detected. Verify that the console's clock
          and the PC's clock are set to within 30 seconds of each other

          My console does not seem to be updating the time and I have it set to
          receive the WWVB signal.

          Any answers?

          Pete

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
            Pete,

            If your console and computer's clock are set within a minute or two
            of each other, the communication errors you are seeing are being
            caused by something else.

            Are you running a WS-23XX in direct serial mode?

            Whether or not your console can receive the WWVB signal is determined
            by a couple of factors.

            Firstly, it depends where it the country you are located.

            See this link for the estimated signal strengths:

            http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm

            The second factor is noise being generated by the computer. La Crosse
            recommends that you move the console are far as possible away from
            the computer. They say 6ft, which is beyond the length of the serial
            cable provided.

            Try temporarily moving the console as far away from the computer as
            possible and see if it can receive the signal overnight.

            wrote:

            > This is the error message I get in the WUHU log
            >
            > Fri Apr 06 07:49:56 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
            console.
            > Possible invalid/corrupt data detected. Verify that the console's
            clock
            > and the PC's clock are set to within 30 seconds of each other
            >

            > My console does not seem to be updating the time and I have it set
            > receive the WWVB signal.
            >
            > Any answers?
            >
            > Pete
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Quite often I will get an error message in the log that says the
            two
            > > clocks are not within 30seconds of each other and today it stopped
            > > communicating with the console and uploading data.
            > >
            > > What does the 30 seconds of the clocks being so close have to do
            with
            > > anything of communicating between the PC and the console?
            > >
            > > Pete

            > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Pete,
            > > >
            > > > The clock on my console should not drift much once you have it
            set
            > > > correctly. My console can stay within a minute or two over a
            several
            > > > month period.
            > > >
            > > > The reason it is important to keep the clocks in sync (for the
            > WS-23XX
            > > > consoles anyway), is because the console will attempt to
            receive the
            > > > WWVB radio signal from 12am to 7am. When it is attempting to
            aquire
            > > the
            > > > radio signal, the console will refuse to communication for a few
            > > > minutes.
            > > >
            > > > When the clocks are set closely, WUHU will detect that the time
            sync
            > > is
            > > > in progress and will not generate console communication errors
            in
            > the
            > > > log.
            > > >
            > > > Other than that, the clock on the console is not used.
            > > >

            > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

            > > within
            > in
            > > > time.

          • plasmaboy3
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
              My console and the PC clock are within 25 seconds of each other. I am
              running a WS-3610 in direct serial mode. I am about 30 miles south of
              Madison Wisconsin so I should be able to receive the WWVB signal all the
              time. My console is about a foot away from the PC so I will move it as
              far away from the PC as possible when I get home.

              Pete

              > Pete,
              >
              > If your console and computer's clock are set within a minute or two
              > of each other, the communication errors you are seeing are being
              > caused by something else.
              >
              > Are you running a WS-23XX in direct serial mode?
              >
              > Whether or not your console can receive the WWVB signal is determined
              > by a couple of factors.
              >
              > Firstly, it depends where it the country you are located.
              >
              > See this link for the estimated signal strengths:
              >
              > http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm
              >
              > The second factor is noise being generated by the computer. La Crosse
              > recommends that you move the console are far as possible away from
              > the computer. They say 6ft, which is beyond the length of the serial
              > cable provided.
              >
              > Try temporarily moving the console as far away from the computer as
              > possible and see if it can receive the signal overnight.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > This is the error message I get in the WUHU log
              > >
              > > Fri Apr 06 07:49:56 2007 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
              > console.
              > > Possible invalid/corrupt data detected. Verify that the console's
              > clock
              > > and the PC's clock are set to within 30 seconds of each other
              > >

              > > My console does not seem to be updating the time and I have it set
              > > receive the WWVB signal.
              > >
              > > Any answers?
              > >
              > > Pete
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Quite often I will get an error message in the log that says the
              > two
              > > > clocks are not within 30seconds of each other and today it stopped
              > > > communicating with the console and uploading data.
              > > >
              > > > What does the 30 seconds of the clocks being so close have to do
              > with
              > > > anything of communicating between the PC and the console?
              > > >
              > > > Pete

              > set
              > several

              > > WS-23XX
              > receive the
              > aquire
              > > > the

              > sync
              > > > is
              > in
              > > the

              > time
              > > > within
              > program
              > doesn't
              > behind
              > > in

            • plasmaboy3
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
                :-/ok,,,,, so i get home and my clock is now 4 minutes different from the pc and not getting any errors in the WUHU log it is uploading data just fine. So what could have been giving me those errors?

                Pete

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Pete,

                  It is difficult to say what could have caused the errors.

                  More than likely it was not the WWVB time sync as it happened well
                  past the time when that might happen (12am-7am).

                  Was the computer running any other software that might have hogged
                  the processor at the time?

                  Anti-virus or other CPU intensive applications might disrupt the
                  communications. The scheme used to communicate with the WS-3610 uses
                  the handshake lines rather than normal character transmission (used
                  by most serial devices). The timing intervals between bits is
                  controlled by software (WUHU). A heavy load on the processor could
                  easily affect the application's ability to keep up with the data
                  stream resulting in communication errors being posted.

                  Keep in mind that if you get one or two communications errors, it is
                  really not a big deal as you are uploading data several times per
                  minute. Unless communications is lost for an extended period of time,
                  no data is lost.

                  wrote:

                  > [:-/] ok,,,,, so i get home and my clock is now 4 minutes
                  different
                  > from the pc and not getting any errors in the WUHU log it is
                  uploading
                  > data just fine. So what could have been giving me those errors?
                  >
                  > Pete
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My console and the PC clock are within 25 seconds of each other.
                  I am
                  > > running a WS-3610 in direct serial mode. I am about 30 miles
                  south of
                  > > Madison Wisconsin so I should be able to receive the WWVB signal
                  all
                  > the
                  > > time. My console is about a foot away from the PC so I will move
                  it as
                  > > far away from the PC as possible when I get home.
                  > >
                  > > Pete

                  > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Pete,
                  > > >
                  > > > If your console and computer's clock are set within a minute or
                  two
                  > > > of each other, the communication errors you are seeing are being
                  > > > caused by something else.
                  > > >
                  > > > Are you running a WS-23XX in direct serial mode?
                  > > >
                  > > > Whether or not your console can receive the WWVB signal is
                  > determined
                  > > > by a couple of factors.
                  > > >
                  > > > Firstly, it depends where it the country you are located.
                  > > >
                  > > > See this link for the estimated signal strengths:
                  > > >
                  > > > http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm
                  > > >
                  > > > The second factor is noise being generated by the computer. La
                  > Crosse
                  > > > recommends that you move the console are far as possible away
                  from
                  > > > the computer. They say 6ft, which is beyond the length of the
                  serial
                  > > > cable provided.
                  > > >
                  > > > Try temporarily moving the console as far away from the
                  computer as
                  > > > possible and see if it can receive the signal overnight.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

                  > > > console.
                  > > > clock

                  > > > two
                  > stopped

                  > > > with

                  > > > set
                  > > > several

                  > > > receive the
                  > > > aquire
                  > few

                  > time
                  > > > sync
                  > > > in

                  > pjweix@

                  PC
                  > > > time
                  > > > program
                  > > > doesn't
                  > > > behind

                • plasmaboy3
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
                    The errors lasted for about 3 hours one day and about an hour another
                    day with no data being uploaded. I recently upgraded the free version of
                    zonealarm that I was running and I am not happy with it. It installed
                    some kind of mailfrontier app on my pc and forces microsoft outlook to
                    have junk mail and challenged mail folders. Then when outlook is not
                    running an error window pops up saying that outlook terminated. I tried
                    to find the old version of zonealarm that I had installed but can't find
                    it.

                    Pete

> [...]
                    > different
                    > > from the pc and not getting any errors in the WUHU log it is
                    > uploading
                    > > data just fine. So what could have been giving me those errors?
                    > >
                    > > Pete
                    > >

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > My console and the PC clock are within 25 seconds of each other.
                    > I am
                    > > > running a WS-3610 in direct serial mode. I am about 30 miles
                    > south of
                    > > > Madison Wisconsin so I should be able to receive the WWVB signal
                    > all
                    > > the
                    > > > time. My console is about a foot away from the PC so I will move
                    > it as
                    > > > far away from the PC as possible when I get home.

                  • Neb
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 7, 2007
                      It seems I always have to synchronize the clock and computer on the
                      setting in Virtual Weather Station (internet edition) Is there something
                      I am doing wrong or need to adjust anything. I am not running any other
                      programs (except fozilla upload file to my webpage). I also have the
                      maximum CPU usage set. So is there something I can do to have it stay
                      synchronized?