Re: WU Webcam Project - Update

  • Ron W
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
      Looks GREAT!

      I wish I had a web cam.

      Ron

      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

      > All,
      > The WU webcam project is moving along smoothly.
      >
      > If you are interested you can view the uploads at this link:
      >

      > http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html
      > <http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html>
      >
      > They are ready to accept any and all that are interested in uploading.
      >
      > You need a webcam and software that will allow FTP uploads. You can set
      > the time interval to 1 minute or longer. If you follow the link above
      > you will see a button to add your camera. You will need your WU ID and
      > password.
      >
      > Please be advised that this is still in the BETA stage and they are
      > working on it daily. There will be more interesting things to come. If
      > the add camera link isn't working right away, try it again later and it
      > should be.
      >
      > Enjoy,
      >
      > Steve

    • Mark Wyman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007

        They are fairly cheap and easy to set up; I will probably get a new one since the view from the comp room window is quite nice. Speaking of which, does anyone know of an inexpensive still camera which can be remote-controlled through the USB to take periodic snapshots? I would like to have better IQ than a 640x480 webcam, and the ability to add on a UV and IR filter for solar protection since the cam faces south. I thought Canon used to have a decent USB interface, but I cannot remember.

        -Mark

        > The WU webcam project is moving along smoothly.
        >
        > If you are interested you can view the uploads at this link:
        >

        > http://www.wundergr ound.com/ webcams/index. html
        > <http://www.wundergr ound.com/ webcams/index. html>
        >
        > They are ready to accept any and all that are interested in uploading.
        >
        > You need a webcam and software that will allow FTP uploads. You can set
        > the time interval to 1 minute or longer. If you follow the link above
        > you will see a button to add your camera. You will need your WU ID and
        > password.
        >
        > Please be advised that this is still in the BETA stage and they are
        > working on it daily. There will be more interesting things to come. If
        > the add camera link isn't working right away, try it again later and it
        > should be.
        >
        > Enjoy,
        >
        > Steve

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
          Hi,

          That is a really good idea.  Maybe it makes sense to use an old camera off of ebay since we don't need that many megapixels..

          Alan

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground