WU Webcam Project - Update

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007

      All,
      The WU webcam project is moving along smoothly.

      If you are interested you can view the uploads at this link:

      http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html

      They are ready to accept any and all that are interested in uploading.

      You need a webcam and software that will allow FTP uploads.  You can set the time interval to 1 minute or longer. If you follow the link above you will see a button to add your camera. You will need your WU ID and password.

      Please be advised that this is still in the BETA stage and they are working on it daily. There will be more interesting things to come. If the add camera link isn't working right away, try it again later and it should be.

      Enjoy,

      Steve

    • Ron W
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
        Looks GREAT!

        I wish I had a web cam.

        Ron

        <steve_03222@...> wrote:

        > All,
        > The WU webcam project is moving along smoothly.
        >
        > If you are interested you can view the uploads at this link:
        >

        > http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html
        > <http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html>
        >
        > They are ready to accept any and all that are interested in uploading.
        >
        > You need a webcam and software that will allow FTP uploads. You can set
        > the time interval to 1 minute or longer. If you follow the link above
        > you will see a button to add your camera. You will need your WU ID and
        > password.
        >
        > Please be advised that this is still in the BETA stage and they are
        > working on it daily. There will be more interesting things to come. If
        > the add camera link isn't working right away, try it again later and it
        > should be.
        >
        > Enjoy,
        >
        > Steve

      • Mark Wyman
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007

          They are fairly cheap and easy to set up; I will probably get a new one since the view from the comp room window is quite nice. Speaking of which, does anyone know of an inexpensive still camera which can be remote-controlled through the USB to take periodic snapshots? I would like to have better IQ than a 640x480 webcam, and the ability to add on a UV and IR filter for solar protection since the cam faces south. I thought Canon used to have a decent USB interface, but I cannot remember.

          -Mark

          > The WU webcam project is moving along smoothly.
          >
          > If you are interested you can view the uploads at this link:
          >

          > http://www.wundergr ound.com/ webcams/index. html
          > <http://www.wundergr ound.com/ webcams/index. html>
          >
          > They are ready to accept any and all that are interested in uploading.
          >
          > You need a webcam and software that will allow FTP uploads. You can set
          > the time interval to 1 minute or longer. If you follow the link above
          > you will see a button to add your camera. You will need your WU ID and
          > password.
          >
          > Please be advised that this is still in the BETA stage and they are
          > working on it daily. There will be more interesting things to come. If
          > the add camera link isn't working right away, try it again later and it
          > should be.
          >
          > Enjoy,
          >
          > Steve

        • Alan Steremberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
            Hi,

            That is a really good idea.  Maybe it makes sense to use an old camera off of ebay since we don't need that many megapixels..

            Alan

            --
            Alan Steremberg
            Weather Underground