Re: [wuhu_software_group] Wired Mode...WS2310

  • Rich Brunnworth
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
      First off, you have to get outdoor rated phone cable. Personally I'd get
      shielded cat 5 cable and use that, in fact that is what I am going to do
      when I rewire my station.

      As for putting the RJ jacks on the ends of the cables... it is very
      simple. With the tab of the jack down (away from you) the stripe on the
      phone cable goes down as well. Then as you look at the jack with the
      cable exiting the jack towards you, the colors are black, red, green,
      yellow. This is from left to right. We will call this jack "End 1". So
      "End 2" will be yellow, green, red, black, from left to right.

      Rich
      This email scanned with AVG antivirus program

    • blkguy@schaka1.us
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
        Rich,
        Thank you! I really appreciate your quick reply!
        I'll give it a shot!

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
          It's really simple, you just have to take your time doing it.

          Same with Cat 5 cable. it makes no difference what wire goes where, you
          just have to be consistent. <grin>

          blkguy@... wrote:
          > Rich,
          > Thank you! I really appreciate your quick reply!
          > I'll give it a shot!

        • kc8nzj
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
            SO I saw the shielded cat 5 reference in this reply and I have two
            questions.

            1. Has anyone on here used shielded CAT 5 to replace all the station
            wiring?

            2. Does that get rid of the numerous problems with RFI?

            I have been able to get rid of the random wind speed readings but not
            the interference from my HAM station. It comes and goes. Sometimes
            I will move something around and it will stop, but eventually it
            comes back again. Next thing I know, I get on the raio for several
            minutes and have 40 inches of rain. Also the occasional wind error.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
              Using shielded cable may not solve all the RF problems, but it will sure
              cut them down.

              Since you are a HAM you should know that all the wires running from the
              various sensors are nothing but antennas since they are not shielded.
              Shielding them and grounding the shield at one end will reduce the
              amount of spurious radiation that the wires pick up.

              kc8nzj wrote:
              > 1. Has anyone on here used shielded CAT 5 to replace all the station
              > wiring?
              >
              > 2. Does that get rid of the numerous problems with RFI?
              >
              > I have been able to get rid of the random wind speed readings but not
              > the interference from my HAM station. It comes and goes. Sometimes
              > I will move something around and it will stop, but eventually it
              > comes back again. Next thing I know, I get on the raio for several
              > minutes and have 40 inches of rain. Also the occasional wind error.

            • Jim Kelleher
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2007
                kc8nzj;

                Have you tried a ferrite bead at the console end? I
                seem to remember an earlier post where LaCrosse Tech
                Support actually sent some out to an owner that was
                having EMI/RFI problems (or so they thought).

                Jim
                --- Rich Brunnworth <rich.brunnworth@...> wrote:

                > Using shielded cable may not solve all the RF
                > problems, but it will sure
                > cut them down.
                >
                > Since you are a HAM you should know that all the
                > wires running from the
                > various sensors are nothing but antennas since they
                > are not shielded.
                > Shielding them and grounding the shield at one end
                > will reduce the
                > amount of spurious radiation that the wires pick up.
                >
                > Rich
                > This email scanned with AVG antivirus program
                >
                > kc8nzj wrote:
                > > 1. Has anyone on here used shielded CAT 5 to
                > replace all the station
                > > wiring?
                > >
                > > 2. Does that get rid of the numerous problems with
                > RFI?
                > >
                > > I have been able to get rid of the random wind
                > speed readings but not
                > > the interference from my HAM station. It comes
                > and goes. Sometimes
                > > I will move something around and it will stop, but
                > eventually it
                > > comes back again. Next thing I know, I get on the
                > raio for several
                > > minutes and have 40 inches of rain. Also the
                > occasional wind error.

                Finding fabulous fares is fun.
              • don_wa5ngp
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Hi,

                  this may be a good time to upgrade your technolognical capabilities.
                  In general after doing cable wiring extensions and whatnot I've always
                  found it necessary to verify that A still goes to A and B still goes
                  to B. A simple $2 tracer light or ohmmeter is essential for this
                  kind of thing.

                  I found sometimes those 4 wires in phone extension wires sometimes
                  stay aligned and sometimes they don't

                  Yeah, what do you expect from another ham, but you do want it to work.

                  Don