Re: Update to wunderground.com protocol #2

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
      One other thing I should mention...

      After a few minutes, the flash stops updating.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
        Just to let you know, the real-time updates are appearing in the
        standard history data.

        This seems to affect the scaling on the history graphs.

        Maybe we should keep realtime and standard seperate? :)

        Thanks.
      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
          Hi,

          Did you change the server to the new real time server hostname?

          rtupdate.wunderground.com

          The flash applet is really preliminary. Right now it updates every
          second or two regardless. This is because the first demo-plugin we
          wrote always updated every 2.5 seconds (the maximum for a Davis
          Vantage Pro). We will make a smarter version of the flash applet that
          obeys the frequency, or updates twice as often.

          Right now the flash applet pauses automatically after a period of time
          (a minute or so?) so that people don't leave the window open and
          forget about it. If you can think of better behavior let us know. We
          definately know that a lot of people leave their web browser open to
          the weather and walk away for hours, so we don't want to keep
          auto-updating.

          The real time data should appear in the graphs every 2 minutes.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
            Yes, I did change to the rtupdate.wunderground.com.

            I did see the "resume" that pops up within the flash after some
            period of time has elapsed. Is there any way to detect if the window
            is in the foreground? If so, maybe it would be ok to let it run at
            the specified update interval (&rtfreq=).

            Other than that I think all is working well.

            Thanks.

            <alans@w...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > Take a look at:
            > > >
            > > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
            > > ID=KCASANFR14
            > > >
            > > > Here are the changes to the protocol:
            > > >
            > > > A real-time update should look almost like the standard update.
            > > > However, the server to request is:
            > > >
            > > > rtupdate.wunderground.com, not weatherstation.wunderground.com
            > > >
            > > > And, please add to the query string:
            > > > realtime=1&rtfreq=2.5
            > > > where rtrfreq is the frequency of updates in seconds.
            > > >
            > > > We haven't decided whether you should also send standard
            updates if
            > > > the user is uploading in real-time. For now, I think we are
            leaning
            > > > toward either only sending standard updates, or only sending
            real-
            > > time
            > > > updates, not requiring that both are sent when the user is in

            Service.

            Service.
            Service.
            > > ________________________________
            > >

            > --
            > Alan Steremberg
            > Weather Underground
            > 415-543-5022 x 103
            > http://www.wunderground.com

          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2006

              We should probably see if we can detect that the flash is in the front, and that the mouse is moving or something like that..

              <alans@w...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > Take a look at:
              > > >
              > > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
              > > ID=KCASANFR14
              > > >
              > > > Here are the changes to the protocol:
              > > >
              > > > A real-time update should look almost like the standard update.
              > > > However, the server to request is:
              > > >
              > > > rtupdate.wunderground.com, not weatherstation.wunderground.com
              > > >
              > > > And, please add to the query string:
              > > > realtime=1&rtfreq=2.5
              > > > where rtrfreq is the frequency of updates in seconds.
              > > >
              > > > We haven't decided whether you should also send standard
              updates if
              > > > the user is uploading in real-time.  For now, I think we are
              leaning
              > > > toward either only sending standard updates, or only sending
              real-
              > > time
              > > > updates, not requiring that both are sent when the user is in

              Service.
              > >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > >
              > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.
              > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.
              > > ________________________________
              > >

              > --
              >  Alan Steremberg
              >  Weather Underground
              >  415-543-5022 x 103
              http://www.wunderground.com

              Weather underground Personal weather station Weather stations
              Standard edition

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              Alan Steremberg