Discrepancy in total rainfall

  • Ron Wayman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
      My heavy weather station shows a total of .24 of an inch but the on
      line total for the month shows .32 of an inch??

      Shouldn't they be the same?

      Thanks,

      Ron
    • H. Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
        Are you comparing Heavyweather to Weather Underground readings?

        If somehow the Heavyweather total was reset, I would expect it to be less that the WU.

        What exactly are we comparing?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith"
          <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

          > Are you comparing Heavyweather to Weather Underground readings?
          >
          > If somehow the Heavyweather total was reset, I would expect it to
          be less that the WU.

          > What exactly are we comparing?

          Yes I am comparing the data in Heavyweather to the data on Weather
          Underground.

          Ron
        • Ron Wayman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wayman"
            <jeffrondee@n...> wrote:

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith"
            > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you comparing Heavyweather to Weather Underground readings?
            > >
            > > If somehow the Heavyweather total was reset, I would expect it
            > be less that the WU.
            > >
            > > What exactly are we comparing?
            >

            > Yes I am comparing the data in Heavyweather to the data on Weather
            > Underground.
            >
            > Ron

            H Smith,

            I should have added that Heavyweather wasn't reset so it should read
            the same, I think?

            Both the station and Heavyweather read the same at .24 inches

            Thanks,

            Ron
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
              Ron,

              I would compare the history on WU by viewing "Last Month" on your
              history screen.

              If you then select those days where it did rain, and the duration of
              the rain fall compared with the rate, you should be able to roughly
              estimate if the WU history is correct or not.

              One possibility is that a transmission error occurred between the
              rain collector and the console. When this happens, Heavyweather can
              write false readings to the currdat.lst file, in which case those
              errors are uploded.

              If you find errors in your data at WU, please pass along the date and
              you WU ID so I can have a look.

              I have attempted to filter several of the readings for bad data,
              rainfall is only checked for allowable ranges at the moment.

              <jeffrondee@n...> wrote:

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wayman"
              > <jeffrondee@n...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith"
              > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Are you comparing Heavyweather to Weather Underground readings?
              > > >
              > > > If somehow the Heavyweather total was reset, I would expect
              it
              > > be less that the WU.
              > > >
              > > > What exactly are we comparing?
              > >

              > > Yes I am comparing the data in Heavyweather to the data on
              Weather
              > > Underground.
              > >
              > > Ron
              > >
              > H Smith,
              >
              > I should have added that Heavyweather wasn't reset so it should
              read
              > the same, I think?
              >
              > Both the station and Heavyweather read the same at .24 inches
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Ron

            • Ron Wayman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
                <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                > Ron,
                >
                > I would compare the history on WU by viewing "Last Month" on your
                > history screen.
                >
                > If you then select those days where it did rain, and the duration
                of
                > the rain fall compared with the rate, you should be able to
                roughly
                > estimate if the WU history is correct or not.
                >
                > One possibility is that a transmission error occurred between the
                > rain collector and the console. When this happens, Heavyweather
                can
                > write false readings to the currdat.lst file, in which case those
                > errors are uploded.
                >
                > If you find errors in your data at WU, please pass along the date
                and
                > you WU ID so I can have a look.
                >
                > I have attempted to filter several of the readings for bad data,
                > rainfall is only checked for allowable ranges at the moment.

                Wuhu,

                My data for WU was started on Jan 16 06 and shows .32 of an inch of
                total precipation for the month.

                The history data for Heavy Weather started on Jan 14 06 and there is
                no recording for .32 of an inch or total acculation for the period
                from the 14th through the 26th. The total for that period is .24 of
                an inch.

                I guess now the puzzling thing is why it started out initally at .32
                of an inch??

                Ron

                ID# KFLTampa42
              • Ron Wayman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
                  <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

                  > Ron,
                  >
                  > I would compare the history on WU by viewing "Last Month" on your
                  > history screen.
                  >
                  > If you then select those days where it did rain, and the duration
                  of
                  > the rain fall compared with the rate, you should be able to
                  roughly
                  > estimate if the WU history is correct or not.
                  >
                  > One possibility is that a transmission error occurred between the
                  > rain collector and the console. When this happens, Heavyweather
                  can
                  > write false readings to the currdat.lst file, in which case those
                  > errors are uploded.
                  >
                  > If you find errors in your data at WU, please pass along the date
                  and
                  > you WU ID so I can have a look.
                  >
                  > I have attempted to filter several of the readings for bad data,
                  > rainfall is only checked for allowable ranges at the moment.

                  Wuhu,

                  I went back and checked all of the data for the period from the 16th
                  to the present date and there are only recordings
                  for .04, .06, .04,and .10 inches. This also compares with the data
                  on Heavyweather history.

                  Ron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                    Ron,

                    Of those recordings, were they 5 minutes in duration?

                    The frequency that you report to WU will affect the calculation.

                    Since we only make one report for 5 minutes, you might have
                    had .01, .01, .01, .01, .04 if it was sampled every minute. However,
                    it may have uploaded a single .04 reading (the last reading).

                    Remember, it is rate per hour reading, that rate can change minute by
                    minute. At least that is how I understand it.

                    <jeffrondee@n...> wrote:

                    > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Ron,
                    > >
                    > > I would compare the history on WU by viewing "Last Month" on your
                    > > history screen.
                    > >
                    > > If you then select those days where it did rain, and the duration
                    > of
                    > > the rain fall compared with the rate, you should be able to
                    > roughly
                    > > estimate if the WU history is correct or not.
                    > >
                    > > One possibility is that a transmission error occurred between the
                    > > rain collector and the console. When this happens, Heavyweather
                    > can
                    > > write false readings to the currdat.lst file, in which case those
                    > > errors are uploded.
                    > >
                    > > If you find errors in your data at WU, please pass along the date
                    > and
                    > > you WU ID so I can have a look.
                    > >
                    > > I have attempted to filter several of the readings for bad data,
                    > > rainfall is only checked for allowable ranges at the moment.
                    > >

                    > Wuhu,
                    >
                    > I went back and checked all of the data for the period from the
                    16th
                    > to the present date and there are only recordings
                    > for .04, .06, .04,and .10 inches. This also compares with the data
                    > on Heavyweather history.
                    >
                    > Ron

                  • Ron Wayman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1 3:21 PM
                      Wuhu_software,

                      I'm not sure what the time interval was set for, I had been playing
                      around with the settings.

                      The final total from WU recorded was 1.0 inches of precipation and
                      my record from HW is .69 inches of rain.

                      I cleared the rain counter today and have WU set for 300 seconds,
                      I'll see what happens this month??

                      Thanks,

                      Ron