Re: v215 Refresh, WS-36XX Direct Serial Support.

  • utahweatherbear
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
      Pete,

      Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
      direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
      must have the wrong version. You need to download:

      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

      dan

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@...>
      wrote:

      > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
      serial.
      > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
      have to
      > run Heavy Weather Pro?
      >
      > Pete
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
      > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
      V215.

      > > Paulo
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"
      > > steve_03222@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
      > > > No problems here with a WS2310
      > > >
      > > > Steve

    • plasmaboy3
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
        Thanks Dan!

        Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3 hours with
        no hic-ups.

        I love this group!

        Pete

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
        <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

        > Pete,
        >
        > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
        > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
        > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
        >
        > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
        >
        > dan
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
        > serial.
        > > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
        > have to
        > > run Heavy Weather Pro?
        > >
        > > Pete
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
        > > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
        > V215.
        > > >
        > > > Paulo
        > > >

        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

      • fikkaud
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
          WUHU,

          So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
          Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.

          Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
          Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?

          I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
          constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
          fiddeling in front of my PC.
          I guess I should just wait till time permits.

          Regards
          Audun
          http://vindkast.com

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
            Audun,

            To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
            history.dat.

            It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
            configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.

            If you have any troubles, let me know.

            Thanks.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
            <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

            > WUHU,
            >
            > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
            > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
            >
            > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
            > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
            >
            > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
            > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
            > fiddeling in front of my PC.
            > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
            >
            > Regards
            > Audun
            > http://vindkast.com
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
            > <pjweix@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Dan!
            > >
            > > Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3
            > hours with
            > > no hic-ups.
            > >
            > > I love this group!
            > >
            > > Pete
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
            > > <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Pete,
            > > >
            > > > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu.
            > WS36XX
            > > > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not,
            > you
            > > > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
            > > >
            > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
            > > >
            > > > dan
            > > >

            > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

            > direct
            > > > serial.
            > still
            > > > have to

            > refresh
            > > > V215.

          • meodee2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              Hi all I am just getting ready to set up my new ws-3610 as I have
              have mentioned earlier. I am looking into my options for connecting
              this weather station to a Dell laptop. I had one suggestion to get
              an Edgeport usb to serial connector (rs232) If this is another
              option can you tell me what the IO gear model no. is or where I can
              find one of these. THANX AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP OD--- In
              wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007

                meodee2000,

                This is the one I have and tested with the WS-3610:

                IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

                Newegg.com is a great place to shop. Good prices, fast shipping.

                Product Description at IOGear.com

                If you do buy it, make sure you download the latest drivers here:

                Dirvers for this adapter at IOGear.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                  WUHU

                  This is AWESOME !!!
                  I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                  gusts properly.
                  And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                  Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                  slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                  file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                  numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                  for parsing the currdat.lst.

                  Thank you very much for your efforts.
                  Audun
                  http://vindkast.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Audun,

                    I am glad it is working out for you.

                    As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                    maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                    WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP that
                    would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?

                    Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.

                    <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                    > WUHU
                    >
                    > This is AWESOME !!!
                    > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                    > gusts properly.
                    > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                    > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                    > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                    > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                    > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                    > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                    >

                    > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                    > Audun
                    > http://vindkast.com

                    > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Audun,
                    > >
                    > > To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
                    > > history.dat.
                    > >
                    > > It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
                    > > configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.
                    > >
                    > > If you have any troubles, let me know.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                    > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > WUHU,
                    > > >
                    > > > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally
                    here.
                    > > > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
                    > > >
                    > > > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                    > > > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                    > > > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to
                    > spend
                    > > > fiddeling in front of my PC.
                    > > > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards
                    > > > Audun
                    > > > http://vindkast.com
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"

                    > > > hours with

                    > > > WS36XX
                    > not,
                    > > > you

                    > pjweix@

                    > > > direct
                    > > > still

                    Bezerra"

                    > > > refresh

                    wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                  • fikkaud
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                      WUHU,

                      Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                      But I have a question for you.
                      Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat file?
                      Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                      I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                      problem here :o))

                      Regards
                      Audun
                      http://vindkast.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Audun,

                        Right now, every reading is stored in the history.dat file.

                        You can automatically break the history.dat up on in to monthly files
                        that are more manageable.

                        Here are the instructions:

                        Added the following replacement strings that can be used when naming
                        the Heavyweather Pro history.dat file generated by WUHU.

                        %d -Day of month (1-31)

                        %m - Month (1-12)

                        %y - Year (4 digit year)

                        %doy - Day of year (0-365)

                        Example, if you manually edit the path and name of the history file
                        to be generated as follows:

                        C:\Program Files\WUHU\history_%m_%y.dat

                        WUHU will generate the following history.dat files depending on the
                        current date (automatic change-over):

                        history_01_2007.dat in January,

                        history_02_2007.dat in February.

                        Since history.dat files can grow quite large when using direct serial
                        mode, the above naming convention is recommended.

                        <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                        > WUHU,
                        >
                        > Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                        > But I have a question for you.
                        > Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat
                        file?
                        > Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                        > I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                        > problem here :o))
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Audun
                        > http://vindkast.com

                        > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Audun,
                        > >
                        > > I am glad it is working out for you.
                        > >
                        > > As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                        > > maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                        > > WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP
                        that
                        > > would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.
                        > >

                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                        > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > WUHU
                        > > >
                        > > > This is AWESOME !!!
                        > > > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report
                        wind
                        > > > gusts properly.
                        > > > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                        > > > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                        > > > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of
                        > this
                        > > > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                        > > > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php
                        > script
                        > > > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                        > > >

                        > > > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                        > > > Audun
                        > > > http://vindkast.com

                        > > here.

                        > off?

                        > > > spend

                        > 3

                        > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"

                        > > menu.
                        > it's
                        > > > not,
                        > > > > > > >

                        > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

                        wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
                        > > > pjweix@

                        > WS36XX
                        > do

                        > > Bezerra"

                        > > install

                        > > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                      • meodee2000
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                          Great! I WILL CHECK IT OUT. I really appreciate it. OD--- In
                          <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > mentioned
                          > > > on the download page.
                          > > >
                          > > > WMR 968-Stations
                          > > >
                          > > > I would recommend enabling the tweak to calculate 1HR and 24HR
                          > > rainfall
                          > > > amounts as the console seems to report 999 mm/hr at times for
                          the
                          > > hourly
                          > > > rate (not sure why). Since WUHU will peform more accurate
                          rainfall
                          > > > calculations than the console, it is recommended that you enable
                          > > this
                          > > > option anyway (all station types).
                          > > >
                          > > > WS-23XX Stations
                          > > >
                          > > > I would recommend getting this refresh. I had increased the
                          > > prority of
                          > > > the serial communication thread in the previous refresh and
                          > > noticed that
                          > > > the user interface seemed sluggish. I reduced the priority back

                        • stevech11
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                            The WS36xx serial interface relies on handshaking using RTS, CTS, DTR,
                            DSR. The latter two are rarely supported by USB to serial adapters.

                            Also, the WS36xx to PC connection requires precise timing of these
                            four lines and most if not all USB to serial adapters cannot do so.
                            The Edgeport might be one that does, as it's a professional grade
                            implementation.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                              So I can't use this to connect my WS3210 to my laptop?--- In

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                WS3610 sorry about that.--- In

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                  meodee2000,

                                  If you get the IOGear adapter that I pointed out, you should be able
                                  to connect the station without a problem.

                                  Thanks.