Re: v215 Refresh, WS-36XX Direct Serial Support.

  • Paulo Bezerra
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
      WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh V215.

      Paulo

      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

      > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
      > No problems here with a WS2310
      >
      > Steve

    • plasmaboy3
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
        I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct serial.
        I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still have to
        run Heavy Weather Pro?

        Pete

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
        <paulofloripa2003@...> wrote:

        > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh V215.
        >
        > Paulo

        > steve_03222@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
        > > No problems here with a WS2310
        > >
        > > Steve

      • utahweatherbear
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
          Pete,

          Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
          direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
          must have the wrong version. You need to download:

          http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

          dan

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@...>
          wrote:

          > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
          serial.
          > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
          have to
          > run Heavy Weather Pro?
          >
          > Pete
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
          > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
          > >
          > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
          V215.

          > > Paulo
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"
          > > steve_03222@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
          > > > No problems here with a WS2310
          > > >
          > > > Steve

        • plasmaboy3
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
            Thanks Dan!

            Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3 hours with
            no hic-ups.

            I love this group!

            Pete

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
            <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

            > Pete,
            >
            > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
            > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
            > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
            >
            > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
            >
            > dan
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
            > serial.
            > > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
            > have to
            > > run Heavy Weather Pro?
            > >
            > > Pete
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
            > > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
            > V215.
            > > >
            > > > Paulo
            > > >

            > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

          • fikkaud
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
              WUHU,

              So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
              Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.

              Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
              Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?

              I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
              constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
              fiddeling in front of my PC.
              I guess I should just wait till time permits.

              Regards
              Audun
              http://vindkast.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
                Audun,

                To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
                history.dat.

                It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
                configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.

                If you have any troubles, let me know.

                Thanks.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                > WUHU,
                >
                > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
                > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
                >
                > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
                >
                > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
                > fiddeling in front of my PC.
                > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
                >
                > Regards
                > Audun
                > http://vindkast.com
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
                > <pjweix@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Dan!
                > >
                > > Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3
                > hours with
                > > no hic-ups.
                > >
                > > I love this group!
                > >
                > > Pete
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
                > > <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Pete,
                > > >
                > > > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu.
                > WS36XX
                > > > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not,
                > you
                > > > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
                > > >
                > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
                > > >
                > > > dan
                > > >

                > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

                > direct
                > > > serial.
                > still
                > > > have to

                > refresh
                > > > V215.

              • meodee2000
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Hi all I am just getting ready to set up my new ws-3610 as I have
                  have mentioned earlier. I am looking into my options for connecting
                  this weather station to a Dell laptop. I had one suggestion to get
                  an Edgeport usb to serial connector (rs232) If this is another
                  option can you tell me what the IO gear model no. is or where I can
                  find one of these. THANX AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP OD--- In
                  wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007

                    meodee2000,

                    This is the one I have and tested with the WS-3610:

                    IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

                    Newegg.com is a great place to shop. Good prices, fast shipping.

                    Product Description at IOGear.com

                    If you do buy it, make sure you download the latest drivers here:

                    Dirvers for this adapter at IOGear.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                      WUHU

                      This is AWESOME !!!
                      I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                      gusts properly.
                      And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                      Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                      slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                      file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                      numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                      for parsing the currdat.lst.

                      Thank you very much for your efforts.
                      Audun
                      http://vindkast.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                        Audun,

                        I am glad it is working out for you.

                        As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                        maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                        WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP that
                        would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?

                        Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.

                        <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                        > WUHU
                        >
                        > This is AWESOME !!!
                        > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                        > gusts properly.
                        > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                        > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                        > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                        > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                        > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                        > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                        >

                        > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                        > Audun
                        > http://vindkast.com

                        > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Audun,
                        > >
                        > > To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
                        > > history.dat.
                        > >
                        > > It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
                        > > configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.
                        > >
                        > > If you have any troubles, let me know.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks.
                        > >

                        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                        > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > WUHU,
                        > > >
                        > > > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally
                        here.
                        > > > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
                        > > >
                        > > > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                        > > > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                        > > > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to
                        > spend
                        > > > fiddeling in front of my PC.
                        > > > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards
                        > > > Audun
                        > > > http://vindkast.com
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"

                        > > > hours with

                        > > > WS36XX
                        > not,
                        > > > you

                        > pjweix@

                        > > > direct
                        > > > still

                        Bezerra"

                        > > > refresh

                        wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                      • fikkaud
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                          WUHU,

                          Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                          But I have a question for you.
                          Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat file?
                          Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                          I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                          problem here :o))

                          Regards
                          Audun
                          http://vindkast.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                            Audun,

                            Right now, every reading is stored in the history.dat file.

                            You can automatically break the history.dat up on in to monthly files
                            that are more manageable.

                            Here are the instructions:

                            Added the following replacement strings that can be used when naming
                            the Heavyweather Pro history.dat file generated by WUHU.

                            %d -Day of month (1-31)

                            %m - Month (1-12)

                            %y - Year (4 digit year)

                            %doy - Day of year (0-365)

                            Example, if you manually edit the path and name of the history file
                            to be generated as follows:

                            C:\Program Files\WUHU\history_%m_%y.dat

                            WUHU will generate the following history.dat files depending on the
                            current date (automatic change-over):

                            history_01_2007.dat in January,

                            history_02_2007.dat in February.

                            Since history.dat files can grow quite large when using direct serial
                            mode, the above naming convention is recommended.

                            <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                            > WUHU,
                            >
                            > Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                            > But I have a question for you.
                            > Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat
                            file?
                            > Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                            > I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                            > problem here :o))
                            >
                            > Regards
                            > Audun
                            > http://vindkast.com

                            > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Audun,
                            > >
                            > > I am glad it is working out for you.
                            > >
                            > > As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                            > > maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                            > > WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP
                            that
                            > > would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.
                            > >

                            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                            > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > WUHU
                            > > >
                            > > > This is AWESOME !!!
                            > > > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report
                            wind
                            > > > gusts properly.
                            > > > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                            > > > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                            > > > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of
                            > this
                            > > > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                            > > > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php
                            > script
                            > > > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                            > > >

                            > > > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                            > > > Audun
                            > > > http://vindkast.com

                            > > here.

                            > off?

                            > > > spend

                            > 3

                            > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"

                            > > menu.
                            > it's
                            > > > not,
                            > > > > > > >

                            > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

                            wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
                            > > > pjweix@

                            > WS36XX
                            > do

                            > > Bezerra"

                            > > install

                            > > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                          • meodee2000
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                              Great! I WILL CHECK IT OUT. I really appreciate it. OD--- In
                              <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > mentioned
                              > > > on the download page.
                              > > >
                              > > > WMR 968-Stations
                              > > >
                              > > > I would recommend enabling the tweak to calculate 1HR and 24HR
                              > > rainfall
                              > > > amounts as the console seems to report 999 mm/hr at times for
                              the
                              > > hourly
                              > > > rate (not sure why). Since WUHU will peform more accurate
                              rainfall
                              > > > calculations than the console, it is recommended that you enable
                              > > this
                              > > > option anyway (all station types).
                              > > >
                              > > > WS-23XX Stations
                              > > >
                              > > > I would recommend getting this refresh. I had increased the
                              > > prority of
                              > > > the serial communication thread in the previous refresh and
                              > > noticed that
                              > > > the user interface seemed sluggish. I reduced the priority back

                            • stevech11
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                                The WS36xx serial interface relies on handshaking using RTS, CTS, DTR,
                                DSR. The latter two are rarely supported by USB to serial adapters.

                                Also, the WS36xx to PC connection requires precise timing of these
                                four lines and most if not all USB to serial adapters cannot do so.
                                The Edgeport might be one that does, as it's a professional grade
                                implementation.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                  So I can't use this to connect my WS3210 to my laptop?--- In

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                    WS3610 sorry about that.--- In

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                      meodee2000,

                                      If you get the IOGear adapter that I pointed out, you should be able
                                      to connect the station without a problem.

                                      Thanks.