v215 Refresh, WS-36XX Direct Serial Support.

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007

      All,

      After a bit of testing on a few stations, I think that the WS-36XX Direct Serial support is ready for an initial release.

      If you have any problems let me know. Feedback is appreciated.

      WS-36XX and USB to serial adapters

      I was able to successfully use my IOGear USB to serial adapter to communicate with the WS-36XX. Whether this will work on other adapters is yet to be seen. The USB to serial adapters *must* support hardware handshaking. Not all adapters support hardware handshaking, read the documentation that came with the adapter to see if it does.

      I really cannot research problems with other adapters so if yours does not work, you might consider buying a new one. I would recommend using an adapter based on the Prolific PL-2303 Chipset (IOGear, Sakar International). Make sure you have the latest drivers as well.

      Also included in this release are small enhancements that are mentioned on the download page.

      WMR 968-Stations

      I would recommend enabling the tweak to calculate 1HR and 24HR rainfall amounts as the console seems to report 999 mm/hr at times for the hourly rate (not sure why). Since WUHU will peform more accurate rainfall calculations than the console,  it is recommended that you enable this option anyway (all station types).

      WS-23XX Stations

      I would recommend getting this refresh. I had increased the prority of the serial communication thread in the previous refresh and noticed that the user interface seemed sluggish. I reduced the priority back it's previous level.

      Software Download:

      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
        Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
        No problems here with a WS2310

        Steve
      • Paulo Bezerra
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
          WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh V215.

          Paulo

          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

          > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
          > No problems here with a WS2310
          >
          > Steve

        • plasmaboy3
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
            I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct serial.
            I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still have to
            run Heavy Weather Pro?

            Pete

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
            <paulofloripa2003@...> wrote:

            > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh V215.
            >
            > Paulo

            > steve_03222@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
            > > No problems here with a WS2310
            > >
            > > Steve

          • utahweatherbear
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
              Pete,

              Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
              direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
              must have the wrong version. You need to download:

              http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

              dan

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@...>
              wrote:

              > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
              serial.
              > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
              have to
              > run Heavy Weather Pro?
              >
              > Pete
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
              > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
              > >
              > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
              V215.

              > > Paulo
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"
              > > steve_03222@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Install of the refresh V215 went just fine.
              > > > No problems here with a WS2310
              > > >
              > > > Steve

            • plasmaboy3
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
                Thanks Dan!

                Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3 hours with
                no hic-ups.

                I love this group!

                Pete

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
                <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

                > Pete,
                >
                > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu. WS36XX
                > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not, you
                > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
                >
                > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
                >
                > dan
                >

                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I installed the V215 and don't see support for the WS36XX direct
                > serial.
                > > I see that I can select direct serial for the WS23XX, do I still
                > have to
                > > run Heavy Weather Pro?
                > >
                > > Pete
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paulo Bezerra"
                > > <paulofloripa2003@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > WMR928 (direct serial) without problems after to install refresh
                > V215.
                > > >
                > > > Paulo
                > > >

                > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

              • fikkaud
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
                  WUHU,

                  So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
                  Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.

                  Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                  Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?

                  I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                  constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
                  fiddeling in front of my PC.
                  I guess I should just wait till time permits.

                  Regards
                  Audun
                  http://vindkast.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
                    Audun,

                    To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
                    history.dat.

                    It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
                    configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.

                    If you have any troubles, let me know.

                    Thanks.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                    <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                    > WUHU,
                    >
                    > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally here.
                    > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
                    >
                    > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                    > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
                    >
                    > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                    > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to spend
                    > fiddeling in front of my PC.
                    > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Audun
                    > http://vindkast.com
                    >

                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
                    > <pjweix@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Dan!
                    > >
                    > > Downloaded, installed and have been running it for the last 3
                    > hours with
                    > > no hic-ups.
                    > >
                    > > I love this group!
                    > >
                    > > Pete
                    > >

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
                    > > <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Pete,
                    > > >
                    > > > Click on stop and go to the general settings drop down menu.
                    > WS36XX
                    > > > direct serial access should be right below WS23XX. If it's not,
                    > you
                    > > > must have the wrong version. You need to download:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip
                    > > >
                    > > > dan
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

                    > direct
                    > > > serial.
                    > still
                    > > > have to

                    > refresh
                    > > > V215.

                  • meodee2000
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Hi all I am just getting ready to set up my new ws-3610 as I have
                      have mentioned earlier. I am looking into my options for connecting
                      this weather station to a Dell laptop. I had one suggestion to get
                      an Edgeport usb to serial connector (rs232) If this is another
                      option can you tell me what the IO gear model no. is or where I can
                      find one of these. THANX AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP OD--- In
                      wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007

                        meodee2000,

                        This is the one I have and tested with the WS-3610:

                        IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

                        Newegg.com is a great place to shop. Good prices, fast shipping.

                        Product Description at IOGear.com

                        If you do buy it, make sure you download the latest drivers here:

                        Dirvers for this adapter at IOGear.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                          WUHU

                          This is AWESOME !!!
                          I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                          gusts properly.
                          And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                          Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                          slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                          file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                          numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                          for parsing the currdat.lst.

                          Thank you very much for your efforts.
                          Audun
                          http://vindkast.com

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                            Audun,

                            I am glad it is working out for you.

                            As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                            maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                            WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP that
                            would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?

                            Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.

                            <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                            > WUHU
                            >
                            > This is AWESOME !!!
                            > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report wind
                            > gusts properly.
                            > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                            > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                            > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of this
                            > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                            > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php script
                            > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                            >

                            > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                            > Audun
                            > http://vindkast.com

                            > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Audun,
                            > >
                            > > To the best of my knowledge, WUHU produces a 100% compatible
                            > > history.dat.
                            > >
                            > > It will build on to your existing history.dat however you have
                            > > configure WUHU to point to the same file and enable the option.
                            > >
                            > > If you have any troubles, let me know.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >

                            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                            > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > WUHU,
                            > > >
                            > > > So the moment we 36xx owners has been waiting for is finally
                            here.
                            > > > Just a few questions before I proceed with the installation.
                            > > >
                            > > > Will it build on the same history.dat file that HWPro runs off?
                            > > > Anything not compatible with exsiting data from HWPro?
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm paranoid, cause I'd love to go ahead right away, but time
                            > > > constraints due to night work, doesn't leave me much time to
                            > spend
                            > > > fiddeling in front of my PC.
                            > > > I guess I should just wait till time permits.
                            > > >
                            > > > Regards
                            > > > Audun
                            > > > http://vindkast.com
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"

                            > > > hours with

                            > > > WS36XX
                            > not,
                            > > > you

                            > pjweix@

                            > > > direct
                            > > > still

                            Bezerra"

                            > > > refresh

                            wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                          • fikkaud
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                              WUHU,

                              Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                              But I have a question for you.
                              Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat file?
                              Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                              I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                              problem here :o))

                              Regards
                              Audun
                              http://vindkast.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                                Audun,

                                Right now, every reading is stored in the history.dat file.

                                You can automatically break the history.dat up on in to monthly files
                                that are more manageable.

                                Here are the instructions:

                                Added the following replacement strings that can be used when naming
                                the Heavyweather Pro history.dat file generated by WUHU.

                                %d -Day of month (1-31)

                                %m - Month (1-12)

                                %y - Year (4 digit year)

                                %doy - Day of year (0-365)

                                Example, if you manually edit the path and name of the history file
                                to be generated as follows:

                                C:\Program Files\WUHU\history_%m_%y.dat

                                WUHU will generate the following history.dat files depending on the
                                current date (automatic change-over):

                                history_01_2007.dat in January,

                                history_02_2007.dat in February.

                                Since history.dat files can grow quite large when using direct serial
                                mode, the above naming convention is recommended.

                                <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

                                > WUHU,
                                >
                                > Sorry, i'm not a skilled programmer, so I can't help you with this.
                                > But I have a question for you.
                                > Is it possible to set the timing for updates to the history.dat
                                file?
                                > Looks like I'm now getting tons of data in there.
                                > I'm running my graphs off the history.dat and I foresee an overload
                                > problem here :o))
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Audun
                                > http://vindkast.com

                                > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Audun,
                                > >
                                > > I am glad it is working out for you.
                                > >
                                > > As far as writing the .lst file, I am using the Windows API to
                                > > maniupulate .ini files, GetPrivateProfileString() and
                                > > WritePrivateProfileString(). Is there any such library for PHP
                                that
                                > > would parse the .ini files using the Windows API?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks, let me know if you have any issues.
                                > >

                                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
                                > > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > WUHU
                                > > >
                                > > > This is AWESOME !!!
                                > > > I have to pinch my arm to believe this. FINALLY I can report
                                wind
                                > > > gusts properly.
                                > > > And the extended currdat.lst feature is truly a nice addon.
                                > > > Everything works just fine. Since the layout of currdat.lst is
                                > > > slightly different, the only mods I had to do to my parsing of
                                > this
                                > > > file was minor. I'm not parsing by [tags], but strictly on line
                                > > > numbers. Just something to think about for any using my php
                                > script
                                > > > for parsing the currdat.lst.
                                > > >

                                > > > Thank you very much for your efforts.
                                > > > Audun
                                > > > http://vindkast.com

                                > > here.

                                > off?

                                > > > spend

                                > 3

                                > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"

                                > > menu.
                                > it's
                                > > > not,
                                > > > > > > >

                                > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/files/WUHU215_32.zip

                                wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3"
                                > > > pjweix@

                                > WS36XX
                                > do

                                > > Bezerra"

                                > > install

                                > > wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

                              • meodee2000
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                                  Great! I WILL CHECK IT OUT. I really appreciate it. OD--- In
                                  <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > mentioned
                                  > > > on the download page.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > WMR 968-Stations
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I would recommend enabling the tweak to calculate 1HR and 24HR
                                  > > rainfall
                                  > > > amounts as the console seems to report 999 mm/hr at times for
                                  the
                                  > > hourly
                                  > > > rate (not sure why). Since WUHU will peform more accurate
                                  rainfall
                                  > > > calculations than the console, it is recommended that you enable
                                  > > this
                                  > > > option anyway (all station types).
                                  > > >
                                  > > > WS-23XX Stations
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I would recommend getting this refresh. I had increased the
                                  > > prority of
                                  > > > the serial communication thread in the previous refresh and
                                  > > noticed that
                                  > > > the user interface seemed sluggish. I reduced the priority back

                                • stevech11
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 7, 2007
                                    The WS36xx serial interface relies on handshaking using RTS, CTS, DTR,
                                    DSR. The latter two are rarely supported by USB to serial adapters.

                                    Also, the WS36xx to PC connection requires precise timing of these
                                    four lines and most if not all USB to serial adapters cannot do so.
                                    The Edgeport might be one that does, as it's a professional grade
                                    implementation.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                      So I can't use this to connect my WS3210 to my laptop?--- In

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                        WS3610 sorry about that.--- In

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 8, 2007
                                          meodee2000,

                                          If you get the IOGear adapter that I pointed out, you should be able
                                          to connect the station without a problem.

                                          Thanks.