Re: Ice accumulation on wind sensors

  • gary2cubs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2007
      That's actually exactly what I was thinking - picking up a Frisbee
      and finding a way to mount it above in a sturdy enough manner that it
      wouldn't inhibit the wind sensor in any way, yet be light enough so
      that it wouldn't produce a lot of drag in windy conditions on the
      mast its mounted on. I'll see what other suggestions people have...

      Thanks a lot!
      Gary

      > Gary,
      >
      > I have considered making some type of umbrella to protect the wind
      > sensor as well. Right now, I do not have a mounting that would be
      > sturdy enough to hold one.
      >
      > Whatever you decide to make, make sure that it is not going to
      break
      > lose in high winds and damage your sensor. By keeping the profile
      low
      > (something like the shape of a frisbee), that might help.
      >
      > Let us know what you come up with.
      >
      > Please post pictures in the Photos section of the group. Make your
      own
      > photo folder there.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "gary2cubs" <gocubs1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi! Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've had my station up
      about a
      > > week and a half now, and we are supposed to get more icing
      conditions
      > > tomorrow. My wind sensor has the little turbine fan (not cups)
      which