Spoke too soon, IO Gear USB serial adapter...

    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 20, 2006
      Well, it appears that I had made a rush to judgement on the IO Gear
      USB serial adapter:

      IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

      When I installed the USB converter, I went to the IO Gear download
      page and downloaded an older version of the driver. The instructions
      are very confusing about which download you need. Since I knew my
      adapter was at least a few years old, I downloaded the 2002 version.

      In actuality the driver you download is based upon a couple of digits
      in the serial number on the driver. As it turns out, my adapter must
      be a newer one as it uses the latest driver (where the second pair of
      digits in the serial number is > 42). Oddly enough, my adapter
      somewhat worked with the old driver, I am not sure how (same
      chipset?).

      So, bottom line, I installed the new drivers and the system has been
      up and running for a little over 12 hours now. I will let you know if
      it continues to run without fault.

      After digging around a bit, I discovered that my version of the IO
      Gear adapter has the Prolific chipset as well. Although IO Gear
      provides a different installation application, the version number of
      the driver appears to match the latest offering from the Prolific
      website (2.0.0.21).

      Now what is interesting is the the Sakar International USB serial
      adapter and the IO Gear adapater (that I have) are based upon the
      same Prolific chipset (PL-2303).

      Whether or not it is the chipset, or whether it is a well written
      driver that supports the chipset is not known (may be impossible to
      determine the root cause), these adapters seem to work (at least for
      the WS-23xx, not sure about the WS36xx where extensive handshaking is
      used).

      If after a few days I can declare this adapter/driver good (which I
      suspect I will be able to), you may want to consider throwing out
      your old USB serial adapter and buying this one (or the Sakar
      version).

      The best place I have found on the net for ordering computer
      equipment is NewEgg.com.

      Here is a link to the IO Gear adapter I am using:

      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107906

      Here is a link to the IO Gear driver page:

      (the 42 series or later version works, the older one does not!)

      http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=dm&driver&Item=GUC232A#display

      Here is the link to the Prolific driver site (should support both the
      IO Gear as well as the Sakar International iConcept adapter)

      http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31
    • jjantti2
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 23, 2006
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Owen \(ATT\)"
        <CMOwen@a...> wrote:

        > BTW, my history file on HW shows a rainfall total for the past 6
        > weeks and I cleared the total rain on the main screen. Has anyone
        > else seen that?

        Hands up here! My WS-3600 has this rather interesting feature.
        Clearing the rain value from the screen of the weather station has no
        effect whatsoever in HW, nor does it clear in HW either.

        In addition to that, clearing all the wind values from HeavyWeather
        will produce a gust display of 50.9 meters/second gust in a few
        seconds after the value is clear.

        Luckily this value, when present, is ignored by WUHU.

        Best Regards,
        Juha