RE: [wuhu_software_group] Tornados sweep through central Florida in the middle of the night.

  • Mark Wyman
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

      “It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence.”

      -Rodger Waters.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        Alan,

        A few weeks ago I was attempting to find various real-time NWS feeds
        that are available to the general public. I found three feeds that
        are available to the pulic. One is free, the other requires a one
        time $75 fee, and I am not sure about the 3rd (I heard that it is
        expensive). I am not sure which feeds you guys are subscribed to.

        In any case, I was exchanging emails with Art Kraus looking for some
        simple method to receive all SAME alerts that are active throughout
        the U.S. Apparently there is no such mechanism at the moment. He
        thought this might be something that is developed over the next few
        years.

        The SAME alerts may be fed over the EMWIN network, although it is
        difficult to find protocol information. They might also be sent over
        the NWS Wire Service or NOAAPORT, I am not sure. That might require
        some parsing to decode the SAME alerts from the other data.

        If you guys at WU could parse the NWS streams to decode alerts, you
        could develop an efficient polling and dissemination protocol, this
        could open up many possibilities. The key to any such system would be
        responsiveness without wasting a ton of bandwidth.

        As an example, if a client application could send WU a poll packet
        that contains a list of FIP and event codes, WU could repond with a
        packet that describes a list of matching FIP codes and event codes if
        those events are active.

        These packets could be kept small and fast with the use of UDP
        packets. Perhaps the clients register themselves one time with WU and
        WU will send out alerts when they become active. A simple watchdog
        packet could be used to detect Internet failures on the client side.

        On the client side, once the client receives a packet from WU and
        sees matching FIP and alert codes, that is all it really needs to
        begin alerting operations. It could then perform audio alerting,
        reading and displaying the NWS XML based warning information (based
        on the active FIP code), and possibily take other user defined
        actions including prompting the user to stream live audio.

        If such a service were open to developers, any number of client
        applications could be developed to take advantage of such a system.
        You could have stand alone applications (perhaps on the toolbar), or
        integration with existing appications (weather apps, home automation
        systems, email and pager alert systems).

        So basically, it seems that all of the pieces could be put together
        easily. The main problem seems to be finding a real-time stream that
        contains all SAME alerts (or that can be parsed from the stream), and
        a central server to disseminate that data in real-time using an
        efficient mecahnism to deliver the encoded data.

        ---

        Here is a breakdown of the SAME alerts:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding

        Here are the Internet feeds that I found.

        1) Emergency Managers Weather Information Network. It is available to
        the public. I am still trying to dig up information on the protocol.
        It is not well documented. This data is sent several ways, satellite,
        VHF radio, and the Internet. This data contains text and graphics
        mixed together. There are 3 software packages for sale that
        understand how to process the protocol, none are free.

        2) NOAA Weather Wire Service. Although the stream of data is
        controlled by one company, there is one time $75 registration fee.
        Since you can telnet in to it, I am assuming it is just text. It
        might be different using the satellite links, I am not sure. This
        might be used to capture the events as they are put out on the wire
        but it may be more work as the alerts/warnings are not encoded.

        3) The NOAAPORT broadcast system provides a one-way broadcast
        communication of NOAA environmental data and information in near-real
        time to NOAA and external users. This broadcast is implemented by a
        commercial provider of satellite communications utilizing the C-band.
        It's primary purpose is for providing internal communications within
        the National Weather Service and for providing forecasts, warnings
        and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations, TV,
        etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather services.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
        <alans@...> wrote:

        > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
        trigger with
        > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
        people about
        > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really understand
        the
        > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
        automatically
        > switch from pretty music to weather radio.
        >
        > Alan
        >
        > On 2/2/07, Mark Wyman <mark@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I always wondered about having telephones linked into the
        Emergency
        > > network, so your phone would emit a specialized ring during local
        > > emergencies like this. It would be driven by law from the
        telephone company,
        > > who could target just the areas of concern. Since these days
        everyone has a
        > > phone, and not many have weather radios, it would be an ideal
        solution. Of
        > > course they would probably tack on another $2 a month for this
        service.

        > > -Mark
        > >

        > > ------------------------------

        Florida in
        > > the middle of the night.
        > >

        > > I was just watching the news this morning about the tornados that
        swept
        > > through central Florida. The current estimate is that at least
        one was
        > > an F2 tornado. I guess 1988 was the last time one swept through
        the
        > > area in the middle of the night (so the news says).
        > >
        > > Looks like a real mess over by New Smyrna (one of my favorite
        spots in
        > > Flordia, been there many times visting family).
        > >
        > > On the news, they discussed the real need for weather radios to
        wake
        > > people up in the middle of the night. Especially in Florida.
        > >
        > > Interestingly, the two Orlando WU audio streams are up and
        running. I
        > > am not sure if they were up when the alerts went out, but I am
        guessing
        > > that they were.
        > >
        > > It sure would be nice to have the WU SAME radios on the desktop.
        > >
        > > Even if the audio streams do go down, the virtual radio could
        still get
        > > a users attention by playing alert sounds, alert text, or even
        > > activating alert devices (say X10 devices).
        > >

        > --
        > Alan Steremberg
        > Weather Underground
        > 415-543-5022 x 103
        > http://www.wunderground.com

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
          Hi,

          We have an email alert product right now that you can sign up for by zipcode ($10/year or free to weather station owners).

          Ed at AmbientWeather has a desktop app that alerts you in the tray, but I don't think it is quite what we want.

          We have all the data, we are just missing a scalable way to deliver the alerts, and the small client application to start playing the local NWS weather feed, as well as putting up some alert data (plus it could optionally run an external program that could fire off x-10, etc).

          If someone wants to build the client application, we will be happy to do the heavy lifting in the back end.

          Using UDP is tricky - it is unreliable (TCP doesn't have that much overhead if we implement it carefully with custom software) and we can't really easily send UDP packets from wunderground to anyone's computer at home since 99% of them are behind a firewall router.  We could use UPNP from the client and try to open a hole in the firewall (like MSN messenger and others) but it doesn't work on all the routers I have.. Just some of them. My bellsouth modem doesn't support it. my linksys router does.

          I was hoping to send alerts of IM but I haven't built it yet, seems like that might be easy / good.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
            I don't understand most of the technical stuff you guys are discussing (although for some weird reason, I find it interesting!) but can easily say that Ambient as well as the Weather Channel desktop software aren't that great. First negative I personally find is the clutter, or excessive stuff that is not optional to get rid of. It would be really great to have a straight-forward, no nonsense program. If a person wants extra bells and whistles, it should be a users choice.

            Just my 2 cents worth  :-)

            ~ Deborah

            --
            Alan Steremberg
            Weather Underground

          • Mark Wyman
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

              It would be all fine and dandy if everyone left their computers running. The problem is most people turn it on to check Email, do a few things, and turn it off again. People like us who have weather stations and PC enthusiasts are about the only ones who do leave things running. Not to mention if I know I will have thunderstorms, I yank all cables to the PC. I still think phone alerts are very practical as the phone service is usually last to go with land-lines. The tough part would be how to regulate when an alert event was to occur, when a storm is right on the doorstep, or still 15 minutes away. Always the problem when dealing with people who will be ticked off when they are awoken in the night and then the storm fizzles. They unplug the phone and go back to sleep.

              -Mark

              target="_blank">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:

              href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com

              --
              Alan Steremberg
              Weather Underground

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                Alan,

                I would be interested in developing an application for the tray.

                Let me know when you guys have a protocol/scheme to work with.

                I can throw applications together pretty quickly.

                Thanks.

                <alans@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations,
                TV,
                > > etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather
                services.

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "Alan Steremberg"
                > > <alans@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
                > > trigger with
                > > > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
                > > people about
                > > > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really
                understand
                > > the
                > > > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
                > > automatically
                > > > switch from pretty music to weather radio.

                40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Mark,

                  Most of the people I know that have Broadband leave their computers
                  on 24/7. I tried breaking my girlfriend of the habbit, she refuses to
                  power it down at night.

                  If you are one of those people that always shuts down at night, if
                  you know that you have a weather application that might alert you
                  when a tornado is on the ground because bad weather might be
                  approaching, that might be an incentive to leave it on.

                  In the future, it seems to me that most homes will have a central
                  computer that will be running 24x7. That is the case already for many
                  people.

                  I like the telephone scheme as well. The distinctive ring feature
                  offered by some carriers seems like an ideal way to do this. It seems
                  that there must be issues with investment or infrastructure otherwise
                  communities would have already done it.

                  Or perhaps it is a patent issue...

                  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050013418.html

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wyman" <mark@...>
                  wrote:

                  > It would be all fine and dandy if everyone left their computers
                  running. The
                  > problem is most people turn it on to check Email, do a few things,
                  and turn
                  > it off again. People like us who have weather stations and PC
                  enthusiasts
                  > are about the only ones who do leave things running. Not to mention
                  if I
                  > know I will have thunderstorms, I yank all cables to the PC. I
                  still think
                  > phone alerts are very practical as the phone service is usually
                  last to go
                  > with land-lines. The tough part would be how to regulate when an
                  alert event
                  > was to occur, when a storm is right on the doorstep, or still 15
                  minutes
                  > away. Always the problem when dealing with people who will be
                  ticked off
                  > when they are awoken in the night and then the storm fizzles. They
                  unplug
                  > the phone and go back to sleep.
                  >

                  > -Mark
                  >

                  > _____

                  Steremberg

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                    Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in the XML dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the host server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing information can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports during severe weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML for web links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch a sound player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop open some windows with direct information, etc.

                    Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in mixed emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the live audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data proprietary. Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket protocols. You can’t leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys that would argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the additional specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the client program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be something like:

                    <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                    <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                    <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                    <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                    <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                    <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                    <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>
                    <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                    <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>

                    p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)

                    XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the file, so during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under your bed).

                    Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can all access for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software except for the live audio stream player.

                    Just some ideas.

                    -Mark Wyman

                    <alans@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations,
                    TV,
                    > > etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather
                    services.

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com<wuhu_software_ group%
                    40yahoogroups. com>,
                    > > "Alan Steremberg"
                    > > <alans@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
                    > > trigger with
                    > > > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
                    > > people about
                    > > > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really
                    understand
                    > > the
                    > > > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
                    > > automatically
                    > > > switch from pretty music to weather radio.

                    40yahoogroups. com>[mailto:
                    > > *On Behalf Of *wuhu_software

                    through
                    central
                    > > Florida
                    in

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Mark,

                      Not sure if you are aware of the CAP alerting protocol. It is
                      currently supported at the state level although I do not believe it
                      is broken down to the county level.

                      Here is an entry at Wikipedia about CAP:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Alerting_Protocol

                      Here are the state links at the NWS:

                      http://www.weather.gov/alerts/

                      The problem that I see with CAP or any other XML based scheme is that
                      it would require large amounts of bandwidth to pull down these files
                      say once per minute or two if thousands of computers, or even
                      millions pull down these files constantly.

                      What seems to be missing is some Internet based, lightweight polling
                      or event delivery scheme where only minimal information is
                      sent/received to indicate an event has occurred that matches what the
                      subscriber would like to monitor.

                      SAME alerts seem to fit the bill (simple FIP codes and event codes).
                      When SAME alerts are transmitted over radio, the weather radios
                      decode these SAME alerts and compare the user defined configuration
                      to see if there is a match. If there is a match, it simply turns on
                      the audio for the NWS radio (it might beep as well).

                      I originally thought that UDP would be ideal for this type of
                      notifications. The client could monitor the host for connectivity so
                      that packet loss would not be a concern. However as Alan stated, the
                      UDP scheme would probably not work well for 99% of the computers out
                      there due to router/firewall problems.

                      If we could use sockets (TCP) to quickly poll for data, that would be
                      fine. I am not really sure how much overhead is involved with opening
                      and closing sockets on a large scale, but I am sure we could find out.

                      Assuming you had a mechanism to be notified of SAME type events, a
                      program could then go to the NWS site and pull down the XML file (or
                      monitor it for changes) to get the full text description of what
                      happened. Unfortunatly since the XML files would not necessarily be
                      in sync with the wire services, the scheme may devolve in to polling
                      XML files again. It seems only the NWS would know when the XML files
                      are being updated, perhaps the delay would be unacceptable for
                      alerting, I do not know.

                      There are already a few gizmos out there that monitor the NWS XML
                      files although they do not seem to be wide spread. Example:

                      http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=36983

                      wrote:

                      > Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in
                      the XML
                      > dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the
                      host
                      > server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing
                      information
                      > can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports
                      during severe
                      > weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML
                      for web
                      > links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch
                      a sound
                      > player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop
                      open some
                      > windows with direct information, etc.
                      >

                      > Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in
                      mixed
                      > emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very
                      > data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the
                      live
                      > audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data
                      proprietary.
                      > Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes
                      > difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket
                      protocols. You
                      > can't leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys
                      that would
                      > argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the
                      additional
                      > specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the
                      client
                      > program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be
                      something
                      > like:
                      >

                      > <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                      > <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                      > <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                      > <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                      > <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                      > <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                      > <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>
                      > <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                      > <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>
                      >

                      > p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)
                      >

                      > XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the
                      file, so
                      > during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save
                      > overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to
                      > severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under
                      your
                      > bed).
                      >

                      > Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can
                      all access
                      > for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software
                      except for
                      > the live audio stream player.
                      >

                      > Just some ideas.
                      >

                      > -Mark Wyman
                      >

                      > _____

                      Florida in

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                        We have servers full of all the same data as the NWS servers (we usually get it quicker than they get it on the web). The data isn't a problem. It is the rest of the software that needs to be written in a scalable fashion so we don't poll huge XML files.

                        wrote:

                        > Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in
                        the XML
                        > dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the
                        host
                        > server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing
                        information
                        > can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports
                        during severe
                        > weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML
                        for web
                        > links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch
                        a sound
                        > player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop
                        open some
                        > windows with direct information, etc.
                        >

                        > Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in
                        mixed
                        > emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very
                        > data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the
                        live
                        > audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data
                        proprietary.
                        > Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes
                        > difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket
                        protocols. You
                        > can't leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys
                        that would
                        > argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the
                        additional
                        > specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the
                        client
                        > program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be
                        something
                        > like:
                        >

                        > <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                        > <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                        > <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                        > <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                        > <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                        > <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                        > <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>

                        > <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                        > <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>
                        >

                        > p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)
                        >

                        > XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the
                        file, so
                        > during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save
                        > overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to
                        > severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under
                        your
                        > bed).
                        >

                        > Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can
                        all access
                        > for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software
                        except for
                        > the live audio stream player.
                        >

                        > Just some ideas.
                        >

                        > -Mark Wyman
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Richard Ray, KI4PEQ
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                          There is such as system in place in Okaloosa County, Florida. The system has the capacity for calling up to 1000 phones per minute with a pre-recorded message, the phone numbers being selected by geographic area. The downside is the local phone company (Embarq) will have a system crash if the EM computer makes that many calls per minute on the phone system. So they have to slow it down.

                          The local emergency management people strongly advise that the citizens of the county own and use NOAA weather radio. Apparently many residents of Central Florida got warning from their NOAA weather radios before the storms hit, and a greater loss of life was avoided.

                          For obvious reasons, Floridians tend to be better prepared for weather emergencies than many other Americans.

                          Richard L. Ray

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Go check out a program called Interwarn. www.interwarn.com This is a
                            program you install that retrieves NWS products directly from the
                            IWIN servers. You can add as many counties as you want from any area
                            of the US. You can also select only the products you want to be
                            informed about. WHen a product is issued a crawler will pop up on
                            your monitor and the NOAA alert tone will sound. YOu can customize
                            what alerts you want, and then select if you want to crawler, or
                            alert tone, or neither. All the current active products are
                            displayed in a very nice color coded window and can me clicked on to
                            immediately show the NWS text. Also.... you can set it up to send
                            alerts to an e-mail. I have my alerts get sent to my cell phone.
                            Because I have a cheap phone it won't show the whole text but it will
                            show what type of product was just issued and then I can simply
                            access NOAA WX radio or get on the computer to find out what's up.

                            When I lived in Cleveland, Ohio I was in charge of SKywarn for a
                            period. We used this program to send pages out to all our spotters.
                            We had in excess of 30 phones and e-mails loaded into the software
                            and it worked flawlessly and was VERY reliable. We would usually get
                            our products several seconds before local media. And when it comes
                            to tornados, seconds save lives.

                            I would invite everyone to download the software and take advantage
                            of the free 30 day trial to play around. There is also a nice RADAR
                            program but I haven't tried it. I use weather tap for my radar.
                            ANother GREAT service. www.weathertap.com

                            Mat KC8NZJ "Chase 6"
                            South Florida
                            www.stormnet.org