RE: [wuhu_software_group] Tornados sweep through central Florida in the middle of the night.

  • Mark Wyman
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

      I always wondered about having telephones linked into the Emergency network, so your phone would emit a specialized ring during local emergencies like this. It would be driven by law from the telephone company, who could target just the areas of concern. Since these days everyone has a phone, and not many have weather radios, it would be an ideal solution. Of course they would probably tack on another $2 a month for this service.

      -Mark

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        Mark,

        That makes a lot of sense, especially in Florida where there is a
        real lack of tornado sirens.

        I do not quite understand the logic that they do not want to scare
        and confuse tourists.

        I would rather be scared than dead.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wyman" <mark@...>
        wrote:

        > I always wondered about having telephones linked into the Emergency
        network,
        > so your phone would emit a specialized ring during local
        emergencies like
        > this. It would be driven by law from the telephone company, who
        could target
        > just the areas of concern. Since these days everyone has a phone,
        and not
        > many have weather radios, it would be an ideal solution. Of course
        they
        > would probably tack on another $2 a month for this service.
        >

        > -Mark
        >

        > _____

        Florida in the
        > middle of the night.
        >

        > I was just watching the news this morning about the tornados that
        swept
        > through central Florida. The current estimate is that at least one
        was
        > an F2 tornado. I guess 1988 was the last time one swept through the
        > area in the middle of the night (so the news says).
        >
        > Looks like a real mess over by New Smyrna (one of my favorite spots
        in
        > Flordia, been there many times visting family).
        >
        > On the news, they discussed the real need for weather radios to
        wake
        > people up in the middle of the night. Especially in Florida.
        >
        > Interestingly, the two Orlando WU audio streams are up and running.
        > am not sure if they were up when the alerts went out, but I am
        guessing
        > that they were.
        >
        > It sure would be nice to have the WU SAME radios on the desktop.
        >
        > Even if the audio streams do go down, the virtual radio could still
        get
        > a users attention by playing alert sounds, alert text, or even
        > activating alert devices (say X10 devices).

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
          I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can trigger with an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos people about integrating it into their system, but they didn't really understand the emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to automatically switch from pretty music to weather radio.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

            “It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents, pounds, shillings and pence.”

            -Rodger Waters.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
              Alan,

              A few weeks ago I was attempting to find various real-time NWS feeds
              that are available to the general public. I found three feeds that
              are available to the pulic. One is free, the other requires a one
              time $75 fee, and I am not sure about the 3rd (I heard that it is
              expensive). I am not sure which feeds you guys are subscribed to.

              In any case, I was exchanging emails with Art Kraus looking for some
              simple method to receive all SAME alerts that are active throughout
              the U.S. Apparently there is no such mechanism at the moment. He
              thought this might be something that is developed over the next few
              years.

              The SAME alerts may be fed over the EMWIN network, although it is
              difficult to find protocol information. They might also be sent over
              the NWS Wire Service or NOAAPORT, I am not sure. That might require
              some parsing to decode the SAME alerts from the other data.

              If you guys at WU could parse the NWS streams to decode alerts, you
              could develop an efficient polling and dissemination protocol, this
              could open up many possibilities. The key to any such system would be
              responsiveness without wasting a ton of bandwidth.

              As an example, if a client application could send WU a poll packet
              that contains a list of FIP and event codes, WU could repond with a
              packet that describes a list of matching FIP codes and event codes if
              those events are active.

              These packets could be kept small and fast with the use of UDP
              packets. Perhaps the clients register themselves one time with WU and
              WU will send out alerts when they become active. A simple watchdog
              packet could be used to detect Internet failures on the client side.

              On the client side, once the client receives a packet from WU and
              sees matching FIP and alert codes, that is all it really needs to
              begin alerting operations. It could then perform audio alerting,
              reading and displaying the NWS XML based warning information (based
              on the active FIP code), and possibily take other user defined
              actions including prompting the user to stream live audio.

              If such a service were open to developers, any number of client
              applications could be developed to take advantage of such a system.
              You could have stand alone applications (perhaps on the toolbar), or
              integration with existing appications (weather apps, home automation
              systems, email and pager alert systems).

              So basically, it seems that all of the pieces could be put together
              easily. The main problem seems to be finding a real-time stream that
              contains all SAME alerts (or that can be parsed from the stream), and
              a central server to disseminate that data in real-time using an
              efficient mecahnism to deliver the encoded data.

              ---

              Here is a breakdown of the SAME alerts:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding

              Here are the Internet feeds that I found.

              1) Emergency Managers Weather Information Network. It is available to
              the public. I am still trying to dig up information on the protocol.
              It is not well documented. This data is sent several ways, satellite,
              VHF radio, and the Internet. This data contains text and graphics
              mixed together. There are 3 software packages for sale that
              understand how to process the protocol, none are free.

              2) NOAA Weather Wire Service. Although the stream of data is
              controlled by one company, there is one time $75 registration fee.
              Since you can telnet in to it, I am assuming it is just text. It
              might be different using the satellite links, I am not sure. This
              might be used to capture the events as they are put out on the wire
              but it may be more work as the alerts/warnings are not encoded.

              3) The NOAAPORT broadcast system provides a one-way broadcast
              communication of NOAA environmental data and information in near-real
              time to NOAA and external users. This broadcast is implemented by a
              commercial provider of satellite communications utilizing the C-band.
              It's primary purpose is for providing internal communications within
              the National Weather Service and for providing forecasts, warnings
              and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations, TV,
              etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather services.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
              <alans@...> wrote:

              > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
              trigger with
              > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
              people about
              > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really understand
              the
              > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
              automatically
              > switch from pretty music to weather radio.
              >
              > Alan
              >
              > On 2/2/07, Mark Wyman <mark@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I always wondered about having telephones linked into the
              Emergency
              > > network, so your phone would emit a specialized ring during local
              > > emergencies like this. It would be driven by law from the
              telephone company,
              > > who could target just the areas of concern. Since these days
              everyone has a
              > > phone, and not many have weather radios, it would be an ideal
              solution. Of
              > > course they would probably tack on another $2 a month for this
              service.

              > > -Mark
              > >

              > > ------------------------------

            • Alan Steremberg
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                Hi,

                We have an email alert product right now that you can sign up for by zipcode ($10/year or free to weather station owners).

                Ed at AmbientWeather has a desktop app that alerts you in the tray, but I don't think it is quite what we want.

                We have all the data, we are just missing a scalable way to deliver the alerts, and the small client application to start playing the local NWS weather feed, as well as putting up some alert data (plus it could optionally run an external program that could fire off x-10, etc).

                If someone wants to build the client application, we will be happy to do the heavy lifting in the back end.

                Using UDP is tricky - it is unreliable (TCP doesn't have that much overhead if we implement it carefully with custom software) and we can't really easily send UDP packets from wunderground to anyone's computer at home since 99% of them are behind a firewall router.  We could use UPNP from the client and try to open a hole in the firewall (like MSN messenger and others) but it doesn't work on all the routers I have.. Just some of them. My bellsouth modem doesn't support it. my linksys router does.

                I was hoping to send alerts of IM but I haven't built it yet, seems like that might be easy / good.

                Alan

                --
                Alan Steremberg
                Weather Underground
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                  I don't understand most of the technical stuff you guys are discussing (although for some weird reason, I find it interesting!) but can easily say that Ambient as well as the Weather Channel desktop software aren't that great. First negative I personally find is the clutter, or excessive stuff that is not optional to get rid of. It would be really great to have a straight-forward, no nonsense program. If a person wants extra bells and whistles, it should be a users choice.

                  Just my 2 cents worth  :-)

                  ~ Deborah

                  --
                  Alan Steremberg
                  Weather Underground

                • Mark Wyman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                    It would be all fine and dandy if everyone left their computers running. The problem is most people turn it on to check Email, do a few things, and turn it off again. People like us who have weather stations and PC enthusiasts are about the only ones who do leave things running. Not to mention if I know I will have thunderstorms, I yank all cables to the PC. I still think phone alerts are very practical as the phone service is usually last to go with land-lines. The tough part would be how to regulate when an alert event was to occur, when a storm is right on the doorstep, or still 15 minutes away. Always the problem when dealing with people who will be ticked off when they are awoken in the night and then the storm fizzles. They unplug the phone and go back to sleep.

                    -Mark

                    target="_blank">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:

                    href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com

                    --
                    Alan Steremberg
                    Weather Underground

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Alan,

                      I would be interested in developing an application for the tray.

                      Let me know when you guys have a protocol/scheme to work with.

                      I can throw applications together pretty quickly.

                      Thanks.

                      <alans@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations,
                      TV,
                      > > etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather
                      services.

                      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                      40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > "Alan Steremberg"
                      > > <alans@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
                      > > trigger with
                      > > > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
                      > > people about
                      > > > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really
                      understand
                      > > the
                      > > > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
                      > > automatically
                      > > > switch from pretty music to weather radio.

                      40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Mark,

                        Most of the people I know that have Broadband leave their computers
                        on 24/7. I tried breaking my girlfriend of the habbit, she refuses to
                        power it down at night.

                        If you are one of those people that always shuts down at night, if
                        you know that you have a weather application that might alert you
                        when a tornado is on the ground because bad weather might be
                        approaching, that might be an incentive to leave it on.

                        In the future, it seems to me that most homes will have a central
                        computer that will be running 24x7. That is the case already for many
                        people.

                        I like the telephone scheme as well. The distinctive ring feature
                        offered by some carriers seems like an ideal way to do this. It seems
                        that there must be issues with investment or infrastructure otherwise
                        communities would have already done it.

                        Or perhaps it is a patent issue...

                        http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050013418.html

                        wrote:

                        > It would be all fine and dandy if everyone left their computers
                        running. The
                        > problem is most people turn it on to check Email, do a few things,
                        and turn
                        > it off again. People like us who have weather stations and PC
                        enthusiasts
                        > are about the only ones who do leave things running. Not to mention
                        if I
                        > know I will have thunderstorms, I yank all cables to the PC. I
                        still think
                        > phone alerts are very practical as the phone service is usually
                        last to go
                        > with land-lines. The tough part would be how to regulate when an
                        alert event
                        > was to occur, when a storm is right on the doorstep, or still 15
                        minutes
                        > away. Always the problem when dealing with people who will be
                        ticked off
                        > when they are awoken in the night and then the storm fizzles. They
                        unplug
                        > the phone and go back to sleep.
                        >

                        > -Mark
                        >

                        > _____

                        Steremberg

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                          Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in the XML dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the host server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing information can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports during severe weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML for web links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch a sound player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop open some windows with direct information, etc.

                          Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in mixed emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the live audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data proprietary. Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket protocols. You can’t leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys that would argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the additional specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the client program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be something like:

                          <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                          <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                          <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                          <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                          <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                          <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                          <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>
                          <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                          <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>

                          p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)

                          XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the file, so during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under your bed).

                          Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can all access for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software except for the live audio stream player.

                          Just some ideas.

                          -Mark Wyman

                          <alans@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations,
                          TV,
                          > > etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather
                          services.

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com<wuhu_software_ group%
                          40yahoogroups. com>,
                          > > "Alan Steremberg"
                          > > <alans@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
                          > > trigger with
                          > > > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
                          > > people about
                          > > > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really
                          understand
                          > > the
                          > > > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
                          > > automatically
                          > > > switch from pretty music to weather radio.

                          40yahoogroups. com>[mailto:
                          > > *On Behalf Of *wuhu_software

                          through
                          central
                          > > Florida
                          in

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                            Mark,

                            Not sure if you are aware of the CAP alerting protocol. It is
                            currently supported at the state level although I do not believe it
                            is broken down to the county level.

                            Here is an entry at Wikipedia about CAP:

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Alerting_Protocol

                            Here are the state links at the NWS:

                            http://www.weather.gov/alerts/

                            The problem that I see with CAP or any other XML based scheme is that
                            it would require large amounts of bandwidth to pull down these files
                            say once per minute or two if thousands of computers, or even
                            millions pull down these files constantly.

                            What seems to be missing is some Internet based, lightweight polling
                            or event delivery scheme where only minimal information is
                            sent/received to indicate an event has occurred that matches what the
                            subscriber would like to monitor.

                            SAME alerts seem to fit the bill (simple FIP codes and event codes).
                            When SAME alerts are transmitted over radio, the weather radios
                            decode these SAME alerts and compare the user defined configuration
                            to see if there is a match. If there is a match, it simply turns on
                            the audio for the NWS radio (it might beep as well).

                            I originally thought that UDP would be ideal for this type of
                            notifications. The client could monitor the host for connectivity so
                            that packet loss would not be a concern. However as Alan stated, the
                            UDP scheme would probably not work well for 99% of the computers out
                            there due to router/firewall problems.

                            If we could use sockets (TCP) to quickly poll for data, that would be
                            fine. I am not really sure how much overhead is involved with opening
                            and closing sockets on a large scale, but I am sure we could find out.

                            Assuming you had a mechanism to be notified of SAME type events, a
                            program could then go to the NWS site and pull down the XML file (or
                            monitor it for changes) to get the full text description of what
                            happened. Unfortunatly since the XML files would not necessarily be
                            in sync with the wire services, the scheme may devolve in to polling
                            XML files again. It seems only the NWS would know when the XML files
                            are being updated, perhaps the delay would be unacceptable for
                            alerting, I do not know.

                            There are already a few gizmos out there that monitor the NWS XML
                            files although they do not seem to be wide spread. Example:

                            http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=36983

                            wrote:

                            > Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in
                            the XML
                            > dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the
                            host
                            > server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing
                            information
                            > can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports
                            during severe
                            > weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML
                            for web
                            > links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch
                            a sound
                            > player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop
                            open some
                            > windows with direct information, etc.
                            >

                            > Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in
                            mixed
                            > emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very
                            > data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the
                            live
                            > audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data
                            proprietary.
                            > Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes
                            > difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket
                            protocols. You
                            > can't leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys
                            that would
                            > argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the
                            additional
                            > specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the
                            client
                            > program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be
                            something
                            > like:
                            >

                            > <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                            > <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                            > <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                            > <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                            > <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                            > <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                            > <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>
                            > <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                            > <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>
                            >

                            > p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)
                            >

                            > XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the
                            file, so
                            > during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save
                            > overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to
                            > severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under
                            your
                            > bed).
                            >

                            > Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can
                            all access
                            > for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software
                            except for
                            > the live audio stream player.
                            >

                            > Just some ideas.
                            >

                            > -Mark Wyman
                            >

                            > _____

                            Florida in

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                              We have servers full of all the same data as the NWS servers (we usually get it quicker than they get it on the web). The data isn't a problem. It is the rest of the software that needs to be written in a scalable fashion so we don't poll huge XML files.

                              wrote:

                              > Interesting, this would be a nice piece of information to place in
                              the XML
                              > dial program. The client periodically asks for an update from the
                              host
                              > server based on timing information in the XML file. The timing
                              information
                              > can be modified by the server to dynamically speed up reports
                              during severe
                              > weather outbreaks. Then there could be special fields in the XML
                              for web
                              > links, severity level, and what to do about it. For example launch
                              a sound
                              > player for the live feed, play an alarm sound, automatically pop
                              open some
                              > windows with direct information, etc.
                              >

                              > Having developed a few sockets programs in the past has resulted in
                              mixed
                              > emotions about the viability of such utilities unless doing very
                              > data-intensive streams which requires that sort of effort (like the
                              live
                              > audio streams). Either that or you want to keep the data
                              proprietary.
                              > Firewalls are the #1 nemesis, #2 is client compatibility. It becomes
                              > difficult to have multiple-platform software on custom socket
                              protocols. You
                              > can't leave the Mac users out! (Well, I know a few Windows guys
                              that would
                              > argue that point). If XML is part of rapid-fire requests, the
                              additional
                              > specialized fields can do a heck of a lot for you as long as the
                              client
                              > program is aware of them. For example additional fields would be
                              something
                              > like:
                              >

                              > <pickupRate>5</pickupRate>
                              > <wathces>Tornado Watch</watches>
                              > <watchLink>http://watchlink.com</watchLink>
                              > <warnings>Severe Thunderstorm Warning</warnings>
                              > <warningLink>http://whatever.com</warningLink>
                              > <severityLevel>9</severityLevel>
                              > <playAlarm>True</playAlarm>

                              > <playLiveFeed>True</playLiveFeed>
                              > <liveFeedLink>http://whatever.com/liveFeed</liveFeedLink>
                              >

                              > p.s. Note the field formatting ;-)
                              >

                              > XML defines that these do not always need to be present in the
                              file, so
                              > during boring days, the data does not need to be transmitted to save
                              > overhead. The key would be to have the pickup rate vary according to
                              > severity level (10 being a nuclear bomb is about to detonate under
                              your
                              > bed).
                              >

                              > Then this is a documentable method that Perl, Java, .NET etc can
                              all access
                              > for web interfaces or utilities without writing custom software
                              except for
                              > the live audio stream player.
                              >

                              > Just some ideas.
                              >

                              > -Mark Wyman
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Richard Ray, KI4PEQ
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                                There is such as system in place in Okaloosa County, Florida. The system has the capacity for calling up to 1000 phones per minute with a pre-recorded message, the phone numbers being selected by geographic area. The downside is the local phone company (Embarq) will have a system crash if the EM computer makes that many calls per minute on the phone system. So they have to slow it down.

                                The local emergency management people strongly advise that the citizens of the county own and use NOAA weather radio. Apparently many residents of Central Florida got warning from their NOAA weather radios before the storms hit, and a greater loss of life was avoided.

                                For obvious reasons, Floridians tend to be better prepared for weather emergencies than many other Americans.

                                Richard L. Ray

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                                  Go check out a program called Interwarn. www.interwarn.com This is a
                                  program you install that retrieves NWS products directly from the
                                  IWIN servers. You can add as many counties as you want from any area
                                  of the US. You can also select only the products you want to be
                                  informed about. WHen a product is issued a crawler will pop up on
                                  your monitor and the NOAA alert tone will sound. YOu can customize
                                  what alerts you want, and then select if you want to crawler, or
                                  alert tone, or neither. All the current active products are
                                  displayed in a very nice color coded window and can me clicked on to
                                  immediately show the NWS text. Also.... you can set it up to send
                                  alerts to an e-mail. I have my alerts get sent to my cell phone.
                                  Because I have a cheap phone it won't show the whole text but it will
                                  show what type of product was just issued and then I can simply
                                  access NOAA WX radio or get on the computer to find out what's up.

                                  When I lived in Cleveland, Ohio I was in charge of SKywarn for a
                                  period. We used this program to send pages out to all our spotters.
                                  We had in excess of 30 phones and e-mails loaded into the software
                                  and it worked flawlessly and was VERY reliable. We would usually get
                                  our products several seconds before local media. And when it comes
                                  to tornados, seconds save lives.

                                  I would invite everyone to download the software and take advantage
                                  of the free 30 day trial to play around. There is also a nice RADAR
                                  program but I haven't tried it. I use weather tap for my radar.
                                  ANother GREAT service. www.weathertap.com

                                  Mat KC8NZJ "Chase 6"
                                  South Florida
                                  www.stormnet.org