Typical operating system on this group

  • Mark Wyman
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007

      Hi All,

                  While I don’t run Wuhu myself (I own a Davis ), I joined this group since I am working with the moderator of this group on some dial controls and XML weather link display. (Update coming tonight, hopefully!) However I am writing this utility in C# which essentially means it will run on any system which supports the .NET 2.0 framework, or at least has a JIT compiler for C# (Mono on Linux).

      I am curious after seeing the discussion of Windows 98 of how many folks here are running Windows 98 or (*gasp*) earlier?

                  Also how many of you who aren’t running Windows XP or Vista , have the .NET framework on your system which is pushed on you during a Windows Update?

      The reason I ask is the response to my little utility is low here, and wondering if people didn’t try it just due to system compatibility reasons. I am not an MFC guy like the moderator is, MFC development gives me fits, starts, and blue screens. Call me lazy or whatever, but you should see what .NET can do… Perhaps it is simply lack of interest, which I cannot imagine to be true (lol!).

      Please don’t bother downloading my utility until I get an update on there tonight, there is enough improvements from that version to this one to make it worth the wait I think. The next up is to target the same files WUHU does for data, and then (hopefully) I can get the XML data from the WU to load in properly. WU XML files are weird.

      -Mark

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
        Mark,

        I primarily use Windows 2000 Pro.

        I can not remember how I received the updated, maybe through the MS
        update page or maybe when I installed your application.

        In any case, it is a great application you have written. Looking
        forward to the enhancements.

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wyman" <mark@...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
          Mark,
          I have your application running and I have Windows XP with all updates.
          I had no problem loading and running your program. I too look forward
          to any enhancements that you make.
          I left a couple comments, hopefully you saw them. They were left right
          after your first post to this list.
          Question: When you release th eupdate, please advise how to handle the
          update for those of us who already have the older version installed.

          Thanks, Steve
        • Larry Worthington (KC9HDP)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007

            I am relatively new to this and do not know anything about the dial controls.  I am just starting to get things together to set up my weather station (Weather Channel WS-2310 by La Crosse Technologies) that I received for Christmas.  I will be setting my software up on a computer running Windows ME. I probably will not be operational till spring as I live in Wisconsin.

            Larry Worthington

            KC9HDP

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
              Mark,

              I did install your earlier version, which did require the .NET installation as well. But, as I told WUHU, it slowed my aged system down so much ... I ended up removing it, but I left the .NET. The system immediately began running faster. The kicker is that although it ran slow when I was running the XML program, it remained slow even when I wasn't running the XML.

              Now, my system is Windows XP, it's about 4 yrs old, with the last HD format being summer of '05. RAM is 1024, P4 processor, Dell proprietary. And an owner that knows just enough to be dangerous (but somewhat fun on good days).   :-)

              I'm more than willing to try the revised version, and since we are now officially snowed/iced in for the next couple of days, I'll give it a good try and see if things go differently. If the electricity stays on, that is.

              ~ Deborah

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007

                Ok, the latest version is up there now, 1.0.0.7. Lots of little fixes and add-ons. Nothing spectacular yet! Just a nice, simple program.

                http://www.markwyman.com/projects/default.asp

                Thanks for your input!

                p.s. I did find the bugs people were kind enough to submit and fixed them. I’m sure you will find more!

                -Mark

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
                  Mark,
                  I removed the previous version, did the download, it went to the
                  validating screen and then a dialog box said I was missing required
                  files and to contact you !!

                  Steve
                • Mark Wyman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007

                    Yah,

                                Whoops, zipping ability seems to be off today. Missed a file! It is fixed now.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
                      Mark,
                      That did the trick. Loaded just fine.
                      Looks nice, I like the ability to have better control on the size. I
                      have 4 sites that I spawned and was able to make them fit my screen
                      just fine.
                      I noticed that I can not select Winter Mode, is that because auto
                      scale is enabled?
                      I did get a couple of errors when adjusting the screen size on the
                      first two sites. I meant to write them down, but I did not. Something
                      about an error in a string or something.
                      Not really hitting my resiourses hard at all.
                      I will be away from th ecomputer for the rest of the night. Will
                      report back tommorrow night if I find anything.

                      Nice job !!!
                      Thanks again for sharing.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
                        Mark,
                        I see the settings stay now, nice touch.

                        One thing though, the "SPAWN Box" still does not come on the screen in
                        the same spot you left it when closing it down.
                        Running 4 locations, the default location for the box is behind the
                        dials.

                        Thanks, Steve
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
                          Ya know, this system will be awesome for tracking storms as they move
                          into your area. Being able to monitor multiple stations has many
                          advantages.
                          You could strategically select stations in the path of the incoming
                          storm and watch the pressure changes, wind direction changes, temp
                          changes etc.

                          Something new to play with,
                          Thanks Mark,

                          Steve
                        • DKee
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 31, 2007
                            No kidding, Steve! It will be interesting to see come tornado season ...

                            Mark, I've installed the new version and so far I'm not getting any slow down of the system. Have no clue why it happened before.

                            Thanks for sharing this cool program - I look forward to beta testing your future versions as well.

                            ~ Deborah

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007

                              No problem!

                                          Hopefully I can figure out how to properly read the XML output from WeatherUnderground. Their data is updated more rapidly than the NOAA sheets, depending on the weather station sending the data. The neat part is this little program would then display any weather station’s data on just this one program. However it would probably be prudent to limit the refresh time as to not kick the pants off of the WU servers.

                                          A neat way to use this program is to spawn two or more dials, set the reference (bottom) dial to 100% transparency (opacity, my bad) and then the other dials to 40% or so, and then line them all up with the same sizes. You have to turn off auto-scale to make this work, but then it is very easy to compare two or more stations together visually.

                                          One thing I forgot about and remembered as I dragged myself off to bed was the feature of being able to click on any indicator and get information about its value and time of measurement. For example peak wind gusts and temperatures. I had commented out the feature to debug something else, and forgot to put it back in! No big deal, but it is handy. In the mean time I added the ability to customize the dial colors. I also intend on adding a few other features but it could be a ways off.

                                          I like the idea of setting up dials around a storm and monitoring the stations, though for quick events like thunderstorms the NOAA data is too slow. That is why it would be very nice to tap into WU XML to speed it up!

                              -Mark

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
                                Mark,

                                I thought of a couple of suggestions but did not want to bother you
                                with it as I know you are busy.

                                Something that would be nice to have is the ability to quickly zoom
                                to a set of gauges, say by double clicking them. Perhaps you could
                                determine the resolution of the display and size them accordingly. If
                                you want to put the gauges back to their original location, you could
                                then double click it again.

                                I noticed that after I had up 3-4 sets of gauges, they are a bit hard
                                to read (bad eyes and a 19 inch monitor). When I want to read a
                                particular set of gauges, I need to move them to the center of the
                                screen and re-size them. Once I am done, I need to re-size and then
                                move them back.

                                Another issue with the zooming that I found is that if you drag the
                                lower right corner to zoom, then say you move it elsewhere, if you
                                right click to access the transparency/size, the slider is not in
                                sync with the current zoom level that you chose with the dragging.

                                It would be nice if the sliders were a bit larger as well. If I move
                                just a tad, I have to wait until the gauges are re-drawn before I can
                                make another attempt. Since the sliders are small, it is a bit
                                difficult to guess the correct zoom level I am shooting for.

                                On a fast machine, the above issues are probably not a big deal. One
                                a slower machine it definitely has an impact. The machine I am
                                running on for weather stuff is an old AMD 900 Mhz, not exactly a
                                speed demon. There is a noticable re-draw time for any
                                zooming/movement.

                                One last suggestion for future reference would be on exit to save the
                                current station list, gauge position and sizes. This would be nice if
                                you had everything setup the way you like it, but you need to peform
                                say a reboot. If you could re-launch the gauges just as they were the
                                next time you run the application, that would be a nice feature for
                                sure.

                                Speaking of retrieving data from WU, I am looking forward to your
                                application pulling local XML files from the hard drive. When you do
                                that, I will pursue outputing the XML files from within the WUHU
                                application.

                                I think that your use of the NOAA XML standard is the way to go for a
                                standard data interchange format for personal weather stations.

                                As you know, right now, all of these stations use a different custom
                                export method (if at all). Maybe your application will help drive the
                                PWS software developers in the right direction. One can hope.

                                Thanks for your efforts and a great application.

                                wrote:

                                > No problem!
                                >
                                > Hopefully I can figure out how to properly read the XML
                                output
                                > from WeatherUnderground. Their data is updated more rapidly than
                                the NOAA
                                > sheets, depending on the weather station sending the data. The neat
                                part is
                                > this little program would then display any weather station's data
                                on just
                                > this one program. However it would probably be prudent to limit the
                                refresh
                                > time as to not kick the pants off of the WU servers.
                                >

                                > A neat way to use this program is to spawn two or more
                                dials,
                                > set the reference (bottom) dial to 100% transparency (opacity, my
                                bad) and
                                > then the other dials to 40% or so, and then line them all up with
                                the same
                                > sizes. You have to turn off auto-scale to make this work, but then
                                it is
                                > very easy to compare two or more stations together visually.
                                >

                                > One thing I forgot about and remembered as I dragged
                                myself off
                                > to bed was the feature of being able to click on any indicator and
                                get
                                > information about its value and time of measurement. For example
                                peak wind
                                > gusts and temperatures. I had commented out the feature to debug
                                something
                                > else, and forgot to put it back in! No big deal, but it is handy.
                                In the
                                > mean time I added the ability to customize the dial colors. I also
                                intend on
                                > adding a few other features but it could be a ways off.
                                >

                                > I like the idea of setting up dials around a storm and
                                > monitoring the stations, though for quick events like thunderstorms
                                the NOAA
                                > data is too slow. That is why it would be very nice to tap into WU
                                XML to
                                > speed it up!
                                >

                                > -Mark
                                >

                                > _____

                              • Mark Wyman
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007

                                  Thanks for your input.

                                              You downloaded the file quickly, the zoom value reset was a quick but that lasted about 5 minutes, you must have downloaded in that minute window! The current download fixes that one.

                                  A double-click zoom/unzoom is a great idea! I will up the size of the sliders, which is easy enough. I added the text entry on the transparency/size control in there so you can set precise sizes for aligning gauges for transparency overlays.

                                              The feature of restore to last operational state is already there in the current revision, it should be working, though I am going to overhaul it to an XML file format so it is a format that is human readable and human editable.

                                              The program can load and monitor local XML files, the URL is not specific to just the NOAA data over the internet. However there is no current way to point to a file to monitor it, it should be easy though. I will add that in very soon (the wife told me it is time to spend some time with her, so it may be a while). If you set your field names to the same as NOAA, and extend it to include your additional data, it would work right off the bat once I add “select and monitor local XML file…”. Behind the scenes in the program there is a large class with all of the data I think I will ever need to use that is weather related. All I have to do is stuff data in the appropriate elements and link a control/gauge to it. Local XML reading can come before WU data since WU short-hand data doesn’t work with VS.NET DOM. That one is tricky.

                                  One drawback of XML is it is rather bandwidth-intensive. Custom packed-binary data streams are very efficient on bandwidth, but XML is sort of poor in that regard. A singe value tag looks like this:

                                  NOAA:

                                  <tempf>32.5<tempf/>

                                  WU:

                                  <tempf val="47.1"/>

                                  Tempf is in there twice as well as the brackets and slash in the NOAA version. The text value alone takes 4 bytes. By contrast a packed byte format could have this value in only two bytes, so to compare:

                                  XML for this value: 21 bytes (including CRLF)

                                  Packed binary: 2 bytes.

                                  What would pound the server and which would be light?

                                  Oh well, most of us have something more than a 9600 modem these days.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
                                    MArk,
                                    Ran it all night and all day, looks great.
                                    One suggestion, which I thought you had already done, but mis
                                    understood.

                                    The clear & reset all is just for all the gauges for one location.
                                    Would be nice to be able to reset all the dials for all th elocations
                                    that are on the screen.

                                    Thanks, Steve
                                  • markhkelley
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007
                                      Mark,
                                      I know a thousand folks have likely asked....
                                      BUT, what's the chance of spawning guages from our weather station
                                      data in a near future update??
                                      Mark+
                                    • Mark Wyman
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 1, 2007

                                        Uh, really good, if you don’t mind getting the data back from WeatherUnderground. I just have it working right now, though it took some effort. I also added a few functionality changes that I think help manage the desktop better. I have a few more things to add and also limit refresh frequency from WU so they don’t get beat up.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                                          We have a different API where you can get rapidfire updates.. Let me know if you are interested in using it.  What guages do people want, why can't we recreate them in flash and then host them in a way where you can put them on your own webpage, and/or pop open in another web window.

                                          Please send me screenshots.

                                          Alan

                                          On 2/1/07, Mark Wyman <mark@...> wrote:

                                          Uh, really good, if you don't mind getting the data back from WeatherUnderground. I just have it working right now, though it took some effort. I also added a few functionality changes that I think help manage the desktop better. I have a few more things to add and also limit refresh frequency from WU so they don't get beat up.

                                          -Mark

                                          I know a thousand folks have likely asked....
                                          BUT, what's the chance of spawning guages from our weather station
                                          data in a near future update??
                                          Mark+

                                          Alan Steremberg
                                          Weather Underground