Re: v214 Refresh - Rapidfire wind averaging tweak. #2

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
      Charles,

      I appologize for calling you Carl.

      I am terrible with names!

      Thanks!
    • Mike Frerkes
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2007
        You raise an excellent point regarding wind averages and the LaCrosse
        turbine anemometer. There is no doubt that LaCrosse has numerous
        inherent design flaws with their anemometer, yet these flaws can be
        mitigated by using some of the WUHU tweaks. Its not like WUHU is
        compiling weather data, disregarding it entirely and cooking up
        better-looking data. Instead, it is gathering a group of relevant
        (but somewhat disjointed) readings and making sense of them. In a
        five minute span, a cabled 2310 will take about 38 readings. If 35
        of them are representative of the true weather picture and 3 are
        questionable results from LaCrosse's poor anemomter design -- why not
        use an average to show "the bigger picture"? It makes little sense
        to give equal consideration to a small group of data that is
        demonstrably erroneous.

        If these tweaks provide more consistent and reliable output from the
        weather station itself, I see that only as a positive for CWOP and
        anyone who uses it.

        --Mike Frerkes

        > Carl,
        >
        > I do agree that the tweaks should be used sparingly. If a user
        chooses
        > to abuse a tweak, that is there own responsibility as with anything
        else
        > in life. I give the users the rope, they choose what do to with it.
        >
        > Such was the case with the wind direction tweak. I disagree that it
        > should be used for any other purpose than siting problems that you
        can
        > not address by physical adjustment (Say you made a mistake and can
        not
        > climb up on a snow covered roof to adjust it 30 degrees).
        >
        > As far as this WU tweak goes, I was planning on implementing this
        > feature anyway. If you look at the data stored when using rapid
        fire, it
        > is a snap-shot in time of the last rapid-fire reading that was sent
        when
        > WU decides to store the record. That being the case, the history is
        not
        > really representative of the real data over time. Averaging works
        > better in this situation. Since wind is the most dynamic of the
        > variables, I have chosen to average only the wind speed and wind
        > direction at this time.
        >
        > As an example of rapid-fire storing wind direction data, if you
        look at
        > your WU history for wind direction, it appears to be very random.
        You