Re: Idea for the next version of WUHU

  • Mike Frerkes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2007
      Now that my false North 0.0 readings are being dealt with
      effectively, I may keep the LaCrosse around for awhile. Lord knows
      I've put hours upon hours of work into fixing that station so it
      gives reliable readings...but it has been well worth it. Maybe when
      I hit the lottery, I can finally buy a decked-out Davis system!

      --Mike

> [...]
      > <mfrerkes@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The unit is more than a year old, so an exchange is out of the
      > > question. I've been contemplating the purchase of a new weather
      > > station and this issue may speed up the buying process.
      > >
      > > I've had other issues in the past with wind readings. I used to
      > get
      > > the "NNW 28 MPH spikes" before I swapped out the supplied cable
      > with
      > > something better. I also had barometer readings that went
      totally
      > > whacko (192.40 inhg!!!) These problems were able to be
      eventually
      > > corrected. However, my phantom "0.0 N" reading is proving to be
      > more
      > > of a challenge.
      > >
      > > I guess I'm stuck with it until I decide to purchase a better
      > system.

      > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Mike,
      > > >
      > > > It is difficult to say whether the wireless mode is really
      > > correcting
      > > > whatever problem is occurring or masking the problem. Their
      > console
      > > > logic could decide to average the readings or report the wind
      > > direction
      > > > of the highest wind speed over the past minute. It is hard to
      say
      > > since
      > > > we do not have the internals and La Crosse does not share that
      > > > information.
      > > >
      > > > I did recall posting a comment a while back where a user's
      > station
      > > was
      > > > reporting weird wind direction readings. It was oscillating
      > between
      > > NNW
      > > > and SSE. I watched the station on WU rapid fire and sure
      enough,
      > it
      > > was
      > > > oscillating back and forth between NNW and SSE with each update.
      > > >
      > > > You can see the posting here:

      > > > I really do not believe this is a noise issue. If it were, only
      > > would
      > > > expect to see more random data in the mix. There seems to be a
      > clear
      > > > pattern here. Surely La Crosse could debug these units once
      > > returned to
      > > > them. Perhaps they already know there is a defect on some units
      > but
      > > they
      > > > probably do not go out of their way to replace them unless they
      > > receive
      > > > a complaint.
      > > >
      > > > If you are still covered under the 1 year warranty, I would
      > contact
      > > La
      > > > Crosse and ask for an exchange. You could start by swapping out
      > the
      > > wind
      > > > sensor and going from there. Next would be the remote thermo

      There