Weather Question

  • < Dickie Bradford >
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2007
      Is there any equipment that us home weather broadcasters can get hold of
      that can determin cloud height, I have read that it is usaully determined by
      infrared from the ground. Or is there another way we can do it, besides
      just guessing?

      thnx

      Dickie Bradford
      Never-Enuff Technologies
      Colver, Pennsylvania
      (A)bort, (R)etry, (S)mack the @#$&*~ thing!
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2007
        This is what I use

        Found it some place on the net:

        CLOUD HEIGHT

        The cloud height on this site is an estimate of cumulus clouds using a formula based on temperature and dew point. Actual measurements of cloud height are made with a Micropulse Lidar (MPL). This device fires a laser into the sky and measures the backscattered signal. Costs for such a device are beyond the scope of weather hobbyists.
        You can use the following formulas to calculate the height (H) of a cumulus cloud base given surface temperature and dewpoint.

        A) H(meters)=125*(Tc-Tdc)

        B) H(feet)=222(Tf-Tdf)

        Note:
        A) Tc and Tdc in formula are temperature and dewpoint in degrees Celsius.
        B) Tf and Tdf in formula are temperature and dewpoint in degrees Fahrenheit.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2007

          Dickie,

          Of course their is equipment available, just depends on how much we are willing to spend on our hobby :>

          Check this out, doesn't have a price, but if you have to ask I guess you can't afford it, isn't that the saying?

          http://www.allweatherinc.com/meteorological/8339_ceilometer.html

          Or if you don't want to spend any money here is another method:

          http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/SCOOL/lesson_plans/altlab.html

          Now there is also ballons, they can be fun ! Need to know how fast they rise and you can do the calculations, but you could also put them on a long string marked with measurement intervals.

          Actually everything I have read is that for us hobby folks is to estimate based on the type of clouds and use the Metar reports from a location close to us.

          Steve

        • < Dickie Bradford >
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2007
            Thnx Steve,

            I saw the first one when i was looking today,  I figured since the price isnt listed, it means we cant afford it...lol

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2007
              That will work nicely.

              Thnx

              Dickie
              The cloud height on this site is an estimate of cumulus clouds using a formula based on temperature and dew point. Actual measurements of cloud height are made with a Micropulse Lidar (MPL). This device fires a laser into the sky and measures the backscattered signal. Costs for such a device are beyond the scope of weather hobbyists.
              You can use the following formulas to calculate the height (H) of a cumulus cloud base given surface temperature and dewpoint.

              A) H(meters)=125* (Tc-Tdc)

              B) H(feet)=222( Tf-Tdf)

              Note:
              A) Tc and Tdc in formula are temperature and dewpoint in degrees Celsius.
              B) Tf and Tdf in formula are temperature and dewpoint in degrees Fahrenheit.

            • Jeffrey C. Le Doux
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 27, 2007

                I have been looking for something like this for almost a year.  Is there anything that will work as well for stratus, cirrus or some of the other cloud types?

                Thanks for this one though

                Jeff L.

                The Wilton Weather Guy