Re: [wuhu_software_group] Audio Streams - Simple device to correct grounding/impedance mis-matches.

  • Jim Kelleher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      wuhu;
      Excellent documentation, as always. Here's my two
      cents worth: for those not as handy with a soldering
      iron as you appear to be, one could simply take a long
      pre-made audio patch cord with the right connectors,
      cut it somewhere in the middle, and splice the
      transformer onto the cut ends. Not as flexible or
      professional looking as your version, but still a
      workable solution. The other item is the two typo's in
      the title and first line (impedance). Again, a fine
      project and documentation you put together.
      Jim

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007

        Jim,

        Thanks for pointing out the typos and alternative wiring. I added them to the document.

        I had another question for you.

        Do those inline ground isolators perform the same function as the transformer you specified (see links below)?

        My guess is that they would not deal with the impedance mis-match.

        Thank.

        ----

        Radio Shack:

        http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214&cp

        This one has 1/8 inch stereo jacks.

        http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MaDMkc9KkWH/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=127SNI135

        This is probably is least expensive from Walmart, you would need RCA to 1/8" converters.

        http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=896355

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jim Kelleher <jkelleher_gk6513@...> wrote:

        > wuhu;
        > Excellent documentation, as always. Here's my two
        > cents worth: for those not as handy with a soldering
        > iron as you appear to be, one could simply take a long
        > pre-made audio patch cord with the right connectors,
        > cut it somewhere in the middle, and splice the
        > transformer onto the cut ends. Not as flexible or
        > professional looking as your version, but still a
        > workable solution. The other item is the two typo's in
        > the title and first line (impedance). Again, a fine
        > project and documentation you put together.
        > Jim
        > --- wuhu_software wuhu_software@... wrote:
        >

        > > If you are uploading your NWS radio stream to WU and
        > > you have a problem
        > > with Hum or other audio signal problems (other than
        > > a reception
        > > problem), you might try constructing this simple
        > > device per Jim 's
        > > instructions.
        > >
        > > I have made a step by step instruction page:
        > >
        > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/EliminateHum/
        > >
        > <http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/EliminateHum/>
        > >
        > > If there are any corrections that are needed, please
        > > let me know.
        > >
        > > For future reference, a link to the page is
        > > available under the links
        > > section of the group.
        > >
        > > Thanks for the info Jim!

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Jim Kelleher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          wuhu;
          You are exactly right. The specs are pretty vague but
          what I gather from the descriptions, the Radio Shack
          and Wal Mart units are the same and are designed for
          line level connections. Note the Radio Shack
          disclaimer about not hooking up to speaker lines. They
          are probably high impedance 1:1 transformers. The
          Crutchfield one looks like it is designed to match a
          headphone jack (relatively low impedance, less than 1
          watt). Hard to say what the output is designed to
          match to.

          http://mail.yahoo.com