WS-2317EL - date wrong in history file

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi all.

      I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure out
      what this thing can do.

      I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.

      I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on the
      display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the history
      file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.

      Example:

      Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
      9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
      10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01

      I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should be
      setting someplace that I'm overlooking.

      Thanks
      Dave.
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006
        I believe the date format is Year.Month.Day.

        Not sure why the date is for tomorrow unless it is UTC time.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daparty@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure out
        > what this thing can do.
        >
        > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
        >
        > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on the
        > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the history
        > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
        >
        > Example:
        >
        > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
        > 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
        > 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
        >
        > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should be
        > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dave.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
          I was kind of thinking that the date was UTC or GMT also. But why
          they would adjust the time and not the date sounds like a bug to me.
          Once I get more data around 7PM today, I'll be able to see if the
          date changes to 07.01.02. If thats the case, then the time is
          adjusted for local, but the date is still UTC.

          I will post the results this evening.

          Dave.

          > I believe the date format is Year.Month.Day.
          >
          > Not sure why the date is for tomorrow unless it is UTC time.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all.
          > >
          > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
          out
          > > what this thing can do.
          > >
          > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
          > >
          > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on the
          > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the history
          > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
          > >
          > > Example:
          > >
          > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
          > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
          > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
          > >
          > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should
          be
          > > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Dave.

        • D. Vensas
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
            I noticed that last night as well.  I had to return a defective 2308 a couple of weeks ago: it had the right date but wouldn't synch.  The new one synchs fine, just the date in the history file is bogus.

            --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software"
            <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

            > I believe the date format is Year.Month.Day.
            >
            > Not sure why the date is for tomorrow unless it is UTC time.
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all.
            > >
            > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
            out
            > > what this thing can do.
            > >
            > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
            > >
            > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on the
            > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the history
            > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
            > >
            > > Example:
            > >
            > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
            > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
            > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
            > >
            > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should
            be
            > > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Dave.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Kevin Cox
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
              I have that same problem, I'll be interested to hear what you find.
              On mine, the time is correct, the date is a day off...

              Kevin

              wrote:

              > I was kind of thinking that the date was UTC or GMT also. But why
              > they would adjust the time and not the date sounds like a bug to me.
              > Once I get more data around 7PM today, I'll be able to see if the
              > date changes to 07.01.02. If thats the case, then the time is
              > adjusted for local, but the date is still UTC.
              >
              > I will post the results this evening.
              >
              > Dave.

              > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
              > >

              > > I believe the date format is Year.Month.Day.
              > >
              > > Not sure why the date is for tomorrow unless it is UTC time.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all.
              > > >
              > > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
              > out
              > > > what this thing can do.
              > > >
              > > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
              > > >
              > > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on
              the
              > > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the
              history
              > > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
              > > >
              > > > Example:
              > > >
              > > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
              > > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
              > > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
              > > >
              > > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should
              > be
              > > > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > Dave.

            • Patrick Chambers
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                On a somewhat related note, I'm running Heavy Weather, and all the data is formatted correctly, but when I run Heavy Weather Review, the graph times are off by five hours.  This just happens to be the amount of offset from UT to CST.  My weather station is making the adjustment, but it appears that HWR is not.  Ideas, anyone?

                Patrick

                wrote:

                > I was kind of thinking that the date was UTC or GMT also. But why
                > they would adjust the time and not the date sounds like a bug to me.
                > Once I get more data around 7PM today, I'll be able to see if the
                > date changes to 07.01.02. If thats the case, then the time is
                > adjusted for local, but the date is still UTC.
                >
                > I will post the results this evening.
                >
                > Dave.
                >
                > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software"
                > <wuhu_software@ > wrote:
                > >

                > > I believe the date format is Year.Month.Day.
                > >
                > > Not sure why the date is for tomorrow unless it is UTC time.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi all.
                > > >
                > > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
                > out
                > > > what this thing can do.
                > > >
                > > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
                > > >
                > > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are corrent on
                the
                > > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the
                history
                > > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
                > > >
                > > > Example:
                > > >
                > > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
                > > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
                > > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
                > > >
                > > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should
                > be
                > > > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Dave.

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Hi again;

                  Something odd is happening.

                  I just ran heavy weather and loaded more data from yesterday and
                  today and then looked at my history.dat file. The times from
                  yesterday that were showing the wrong dates are now showing the
                  correct dates.

                  All the times for yesterday that were showing a date of 07.01.01 are
                  now showing as 06.12.31 up to and including 11:30PM. Starting at
                  12:00AM the date is 07.01.01. So everything in the history.dat file
                  is now correct.

                  Why the dates were showing wrong yesterday but are now correct today
                  I don't know. I'll see what happens at 7PM this evening which is 0:00
                  UCT. Will it switch to 07.01.02?

                  Does anyone know the format of the history.dat file (bytes 1-2 = ??,
                  byte 3-4 = ??, etc). I would like to do a hex dump of the file and
                  see what exactly is saved. Maybe I can figure out what's going on.
                  Is heavy weather displaying different values at different times? I
                  don't think the history.dat file is changing other than new data
                  being written to the end.

                  Dave.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                    Just a note for newbies...

                    If you run WUHU in direct serial mode (Heavyweather not used), you
                    can have it output a couple of files. The time and dates generated by
                    WUHU will be in terms of local time, not UTC time.

                    It can output currdat.lst just like Heavyweather Beta 2.0 does, this
                    allows you to use Heavyweather Publisher if you want to upload an
                    image to your website. Note there is a bug in Publisher, it will not
                    work if the target file on the FTP server does not already exist. To
                    correct, upload any image file with the same name before you run
                    Publisher. They should really fix that bug!

                    You can also output a history.dat file in the Heavyweather Pro format
                    (free application). The Pro format was chosen for a couple of
                    reasons. The first is that the old history.dat output by Heavyweather
                    does not include relative pressure (it stores only absolute
                    pressure). This requires that the user enter a fixed offset in to
                    Heavyweather Review. The old format also does not track wind gust and
                    various rainfall measurements.

                    The Heavyweather Pro is a more advanced application than the old
                    review. You can create graphs, view and edit the history.dat file,
                    etc. If you have a WS-23XX and decide to use HW Pro, point it off to
                    a non-existant serial port and close the window associated with data.
                    It seems to run happily even if it cannot find the console.

                    As a final note, if you do decide to play with HW Pro, do attempt to
                    open an old history.dat generated with the Heavyweather (or Beta 2.0)
                    application. The HW Pro application will crash if you attempt to do
                    so.

                    Just thought I would pass along the tips.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Chambers"
                    <endymion@...> wrote:

                    > On a somewhat related note, I'm running Heavy Weather, and all the
                    data is
                    > formatted correctly, but when I run Heavy Weather Review, the graph
                    times
                    > are off by five hours. This just happens to be the amount of
                    offset from UT
                    > to CST. My weather station is making the adjustment, but it
                    appears that
                    > HWR is not. Ideas, anyone?
                    >
                    > Patrick

                    12/31/2006

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007

                      Dave,

                      To answer your question, here are the file formats for the old Heavyweather (and Beta 2.0) application as well as the Heavyweather Pro application.

                      Credit goes to the original author, I am just pasting it here.

                      ---

                      HeavyWeather History File Format

                      Last Updated 2005/7/8
                      Compiled by Ben Udall

                      By default, weather history is stored in the history.dat file in the
                      HeavyWeather folder.  HeavyWeather and HeavyWeatherPro use two different
                      formats, both of which are presented below.  Initial format information
                      for HeavyWeatherPro was taken from Cyril Cavadore's program
                      (http://www.astrosurf.com/cavadore/meteo/stations_meteo/lacrosse/)

                      *******************

                      HeavyWeather V2.0 beta
                      La Crosse WS-2310 and WS-2315 weather stations

                      Each row of data is stored in 36 byte chunks starting from the beginning of
                      the file (no header).

                      Row
                      Offset  Type       Name              Unit
                      ------  ---------  ----------------  -----
                      00      ULong [4]  unknown           - (Value is always 1)
                      04      ULong [4]  Timestamp         seconds from 1/1/1900 00:00:00 (GMT)
                      08      Float [4]  Abs Pressure      hectopascals (millibars)
                      12      Float [4]  Wind Speed        meters/second
                      16      ULong [4]  Wind Direction    see below
                      20      Float [4]  Total Rainfall    millimeters
                      24      Float [4]  Indoor Temp       Celsius
                      28      Float [4]  Outdoor Temp      Celsius
                      32      UWord [2]  Indoor Humidity   %
                      34      UWord [2]  Outdoor Humidity  %

                      At the end of the file is an additional 28 bytes providing information about
                      the dataset as a whole.

                      Offset  Type       Description
                      ------  ---------  ----------------
                      00      ULong [4]  unknown
                      04      Ulong [4]  unknown (0)
                      08      Float [4]  unknown (5.698)
                      12      ULong [4]  unknown (0)
                      16      ULong [4]  Number of rows
                      20      ULong [4]  Timestamp of the first row of data
                      24      ULong [4]  Timestamp of the last row of data

                      *******************

                      HeavyWeatherPro V1.1
                      La Crosse WS-3610 weather station

                      Each row of data is stored in 56 byte chunks starting from the beginning of
                      the file (no header).

                      ROW
                      OFFSET  Type        Name               Unit
                      ------  ---------   ----------------   -----
                      00      Double [8]  Timestamp          days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00 (GMT)
                      08      Float  [4]  Abs Pressure       hectopascals (millibars)
                      12      Float  [4]  Relative Pressure  hectopascals (millibars)
                      16      Float  [4]  Wind Speed         meters/second
                      20      ULong  [4]  Wind Direction     see below
                      24      Float  [4]  Wind Gust          meters/second
                      28      Float  [4]  Total Rainfall     millimeters
                      32      Float  [4]  New Rainfall       millimeters
                      36      Float  [4]  Indoor Temp        celsius
                      40      Float  [4]  Outdoor Temp       celsius
                      44      Float  [4]  Indoor Humidity    %
                      48      Float  [4]  Outdoor Humidity   %
                      52 ULong  [4]  unknown            - (Value is always 0)

                      Since the timestamp is a double, the fractional part represents fractions of
                      a day.  This is probably the same type as the Delphi TdateTime type.  More
                      information about this type can be found here:

                      http://www.aimtec.com.au/articles/ItsAboutTime/Default.htm

                      *******************

                      Wind Direction

                      Wind direction is encoded as an integer between 0 and 15.  To get the
                      wind direction in degrees, multiply the value by 22.5.  To get compass
                      directions (moving clockwise) 0 is North, 1 is North-Northeast, 2 is
                      Northeast, etc...
                       0  N
                       1  NNE
                       2  NE
                       3  ENE
                       4  E
                       5  ESE
                       6  SE
                       7  SSE
                       8  S
                       9  SSW
                      10  SW
                      11  WSW
                      12  W
                      13  WNW
                      14  NW
                      15  NNW

                      ---

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                        Dave,
                        I have an older WS2310 and have noticed the same date problem now and
                        then.
                        It always seems to correct itself, really strange. I posted about this
                        awhile ago and if I recall, a few folks have had this happen.

                        I even had the times get all messed up a few weeks ago.
                        Like was mentioned, must be some bug that Lacrosse has no intention of
                        addressing.

                        Steve
                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Thanks for the file layouts.

                          This is exactly what I was looking for.

                          Dave.

> [...]
                          > > being written to the end.
                          > >
                          > > Dave.
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" daparty@
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi all.
                          > > >
                          > > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
                          out
                          > > > what this thing can do.
                          > > >
                          > > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are correct on the
                          > > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the
                          history
                          > > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
                          > > >
                          > > > Example:
                          > > >
                          > > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
                          > > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
                          > > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2007
                            Hi;

                            I just ran heavy weather and loaded my data thru 7PM (0:00 UTC) and
                            looked at the history.dat file. All of the dates that were 06.12.31
                            are now 07.01.01 and the dates that were 07.01.01 are now 07.01.02

                            The actual history.dat file has the correct dates in it because I
                            used the file layouts from an earlier post in a program to display
                            the information in the file.

                            Apparently heavy weather is adding a day to the date when it displays
                            the history file when the UTC date is greater than the local date. I
                            think that if I load my data after midnight and look at the history,
                            the dates will show correct again. Then they will probably stay
                            correct thru 6:30PM and then screw up again at 7:00PM. I'll have to
                            load them tomorrow between 6:30PM and 7:00PM just to make sure and
                            then wait for the 7:00PM update.

                            Dave.

                            wrote:

                            > Hi again;
                            >
                            > Something odd is happening.
                            >
                            > I just ran heavy weather and loaded more data from yesterday and
                            > today and then looked at my history.dat file. The times from
                            > yesterday that were showing the wrong dates are now showing the
                            > correct dates.
                            >
                            > All the times for yesterday that were showing a date of 07.01.01
                            are
                            > now showing as 06.12.31 up to and including 11:30PM. Starting at
                            > 12:00AM the date is 07.01.01. So everything in the history.dat file
                            > is now correct.
                            >
                            > Why the dates were showing wrong yesterday but are now correct
                            today
                            > I don't know. I'll see what happens at 7PM this evening which is
                            0:00
                            > UCT. Will it switch to 07.01.02?
                            >
                            > Does anyone know the format of the history.dat file (bytes 1-2
                            = ??,
                            > byte 3-4 = ??, etc). I would like to do a hex dump of the file and
                            > see what exactly is saved. Maybe I can figure out what's going on.
                            > Is heavy weather displaying different values at different times? I
                            > don't think the history.dat file is changing other than new data
                            > being written to the end.
                            >
                            > Dave.
                            >

                            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi all.
                            > >
                            > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
                            out
                            > > what this thing can do.
                            > >
                            > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
                            > >
                            > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are correct on the
                            > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the history
                            > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
                            > >
                            > > Example:
                            > >
                            > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
                            > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
                            > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
                            > >
                            > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should
                            be
                            > > setting someplace that I'm overlooking.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks
                            > > Dave.

                          • Dave
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                              Hi;

                              Here is whats happening from the testing I did.

                              When the UTC date is greater than the local date, heavy weather is
                              adding 1 day to the date field when it shows the dates. When the
                              local date and UTC dates are the same, the date field shows the
                              correct dates.

                              My last test was to load the history.dat file with data thru 6:30PM
                              today. When I looked at the history.dat file at 6:57PM, the dates
                              were correct. I exited heavy weather and at 7:00PM I loaded heavy
                              weather again and even though I didn't load the 7:00PM data to the
                              history.dat file, the dates had 1 day added to them.

                              Hopefully this will be fixed in a future release.

                              Dave.

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > Dave.
                              > >

                              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daparty@>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi all.
                              > > >
                              > > > I got a WS-2317EL for X-mas and I'm having fun trying to figure
                              > out
                              > > > what this thing can do.
                              > > >
                              > > > I have a strange problem with the date in the history file.
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm at time zone -5 ET, and the time and date are correct on
                              the
                              > > > display, but when I run Heavy weather and download to the
                              history
                              > > > file, the date shows as 07.01.01 with the correct time.
                              > > >
                              > > > Example:
                              > > >
                              > > > Display 9:00PM 12.31.06 History 09:00PM 07.01.01
                              > > > Display 9:30PM 12.31.06 History 09:30PM 07.01.01
                              > > > Display 10:00PM 12.31.06 History 10:00PM 07.01.01
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm running Heavy weather 2.0 beta. Is there something I should

                            • Patrick Chambers
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 2, 2007
                                Heavy Weather Review is showing report in UT only, despite the data itself actually being saved in the History file as correct local time for me.  Anyone else having this happen?  Is it normal?

                                Patrick

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2007
                                  Patrick,

                                  Heavyweather Review is monitoring currdat.lst. The time stamp in that
                                  file is seconds sinc Jan 1, 1900, in UTC.

                                  If you use direct serial mode, you can configure WUHU to ouput the
                                  currdat.lst file. It will then trick Heavyweather Review in to using
                                  local time.

                                  <endymion@...> wrote:

                                  > Heavy Weather Review is showing report in UT only, despite the data
                                  itself
                                  > actually being saved in the History file as correct local time for
                                  me.
                                  > Anyone else having this happen? Is it normal?
                                  >
                                  > Patrick

                                  1/1/2007