Re: Installed new Christmas present = new station

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2006
      D. Vensas,

      As far as the auto-syncing goes, that is a real problem with the La
      Crosse wireless units, no matter which model you choose. You pretty
      much have to pull batteries on the remote thermo and console and go
      back and forth unit they sync up. Why in the world they did this, I
      have no idea.

      Other manufacturers may have issues with the remote units as well,
      but the recovery process is simplified compared to the La Crosse
      units. On the Oregon Scientific units, you basically hit a button on
      the remote unit, hit the 'search' button on the console and you are
      in business.

      Personally, I recommend using the La Crosse units in wired mode only.
      If you run your own telephone line to connect the units, make sure
      you use 4 conductor only! 2 conductor will not work!).

      If you live in an area where you experience a lot of lightning, wired
      mode is not suggested. More than a few users have had their serial
      ports fried or worse.

      You can buy some ligtning protection that might spare your computer
      but fry the console (as in my case) but it is best to not tempt
      mother nature. If a storm is coming your way, consider going wireless
      until the storm passes.

      Here is my Christmas shopping list of the home weather stations on
      the market. The list contains only those stations that can be
      interfaced to the PC. There are 5 models I would recommend in the
      following order:

      1) La-Crose WS-3610. Decent unit although it has an odd serial
      communications scheme that uses the handshake lines rather than
      character transmission (probably to save $2 on a UART, not a good
      concept if you are listening La Crosse). This is problematic with
      computers that do not have a "real" serial port but USB to serial
      adapters. This is a bad situation if you are trying to use a newer
      laptop.

      Other than an open software group (open3600) who have reverse
      engineered the protocol, I do not believe any other software can
      communicate directly with these units other than the supplied
      Heavyweather Pro software (which is not bad). Update rates are not
      fast, 30s during peak wind.

      When using other software packages, they monitor the weather data
      through a file called currdat.lst that is updated once a minute. If
      it were me, I would stick with a WS-2308. No price info on this one.
      I would not pay more than $125.

      2) La-Crosse WS-2308, In wired mode (yes, you have to run a telephone
      cord through an exterior wall), but be prepared to remove cord
      between thermo unit and console when lightning is a possibility.
      Wireless is fine if you do not care about the update rate (30 seconds
      at best). My guess is that wireless is good for < 20-30 feet
      depending on the materials used in the home. These units cost $99 at
      Costco.

      3) Oregon Scientific. WMR-968 or WMR-100. The WMR-100 communicates to
      the PC with USB so I am pretty sure you are locking in to using
      Virtual Weather Station for your software (VWS is supplied with the
      unit). I would recommend the 968 over the 100 due to a closed
      communications protocol with the 100.

      Decent wireless units. Update rate is not real fast, 15 Seconds for
      wind speed. On the plus side, it is wireless, so you do not have to
      worry about lightning. I have heard the range on the wireless is
      decent. Solar charging for remote units. Bad side is that there may
      be some issue with cold weather and dewpoint calculations. Costco
      sells both of these at around $215 with the optional cold weather
      sensor.

      4) Davis Vantage Pro 2. Pretty much the best unit you will find for
      the home market. 2.5 second updates, wireless, and additional sensors
      available. Provantage has these at around $400 plus you need the
      Weatherlink hardware/software combo $150, to talk to the PC. The
      serial version is recommended over the USB version (for software
      support).

      There are a few other stations on the market like the new Honeywell
      and others, but I have not really seen anything worthy of mention.

      Note that all of the station I have mentioned with the exception of
      the Davis have questionable sensor data quality. If you want fast,
      accurate, realtime data, go with the Davis.

      If you do not need a PC interface (no uploading via the net), then
      there are a few other choices out there. La Crosse offers a new
      wirless unit, 4.5 second updates over 915Mhz. Not sure on the price.
      There are several other stations out there without a PC interface.

      Whatever you do, stay away from the Radio Shack "Bios" weather
      station with TV interface (Made by Thermor up in Canada). I tested
      one the other day, it was horrible. The sensors were terrible,
      temperatures were off more that 10 degrees between the indoor and
      outdoor sensors sitting next to each other. 150-200mph winds reported
      randomly even those the sensor was in the box. The one redeeming
      quality was the humidity sensor that proved to be accurate.

      The TV interface was a nice idea for people not wanting to hook up to
      a computer, a feature than should be standard on all home weather
      stations. See, I do have positive things to say. ;)

      The bottom line on this unit is stay away unless you have a walk in
      humidor and need to keep an eye on the humidity from your TV.

      Price, $99 at Radio Shack.

      Hope that helps.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "D. Vensas" <cyjennc@...>
      wrote:

      > So, is there a different model you'd recommend that does have the
      display and console auto-synching?

      wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "wuhu_software"

      > up

      > loses
      > working

      > > try
      > > re-
      > > get

      > the
      > batteries
      > > > (if
      > > you
      > then
      > > > add

      CD-

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2006
        Wuhu,
        Nice summary of the available units on the market.

        I am currently running a LaCrosse 2310 and a WMR 968 side by side.

        Temperatures and wind are comparable, however the Humidity/Dewpoint
        does not appear to be accurate on either unit.
        They both take sudden dips and rises independent of each other.

        If you would like to see comparisons you can look at the QC charts
        for CW5443 and CW6949, both in Bristol, NH

        Or you can look at WU and search "Bristol, NH" and look at Bristol
        Village and Bristol Elementary school. Should be the top two choices.

        Neither station currently has any tweaks.

        I do like the ease of placement of the sensors on the WMR968 as WUHU
        mentioned all sensors are wireless.
        No wires to run except for the cable between the sensor and the
        solar panel/transmitter.