Re: WUHU214_32.zip Refresh.

  • utahweatherbear
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
      Thanx WUHU, you rock. Came up with a couple more ideas that might be
      worth considering. Possibly adding the "Time of Occurrence" to each
      of the Hi/Lo values, if not on the main screen then maybe a button to
      get the info. Also, I really like how you made it so the screen
      updates automatically when you put in a value like 0 to 15 hours or
      so. Was wondering if it would be hard to add a "since" option there.
      You know, where it would update data "since midnight (12:00AM)"
      or "since 8:00AM" or something like that.

      Thanx for everything, Dan

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
        Dan,

        What I really need to do is re-organize the main screen. There is
        really no space left for additional data. I have some additional
        items I would like to add was well. I do not want to add any more
        display data on a seperate screen as that will create additional work
        when I try to reorganize it.

        But first, I need to make some space on the screen by relocating
        setup data, general settings, links, etc. I think moving each section
        off to seperate property sheets would look best.

        This will probably take some time as I have never messed with the
        property sheets. I am sure it is not bad, but it will take some time
        to investigate and re-locate the screen controls.

        As far as the "Since" did you mean "Since Midnight"?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
          Dan,

          Re-read your post.

          I think a Since midnight would be useful.

          Will add it to the list of to-dos.

          Thanks.
        • utahweatherbear
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
            Sounds like a plan. :-) No big rush of course, just some suggestions.
            My only concern would be as you continue to add on things each of us
            comes up with, the look and feel of your interface becomes more
            complicated and less easy to use. One reason so many people like your
            program is it doesn't have so many options that it's impossible to
            figure out. It's still nowhere close to being as big and clunky as
            most programs out there though. I guess people can choose not to
            update to the latest versions, as long as what they have remains
            functional. Maybe not a bad idea to just make a "barebones" version
            always available or something. :-) Keep up the good work!

            TTYL, Dan

> [...]
            > > > immediately so you will have to remember to re-enable them.
            > > >
            > > > The second update was based on a recommendation from Dan.
            > > >
            > > > The "High" wind direction now represents the direction of the
            > wind
            > > at
            > > > the time that the highest wind gust was seen during the
            specified
            > > > time period.
            > > >
            > > > The "Low" wind direction represents the direction of the most
            > > recent
            > > > lowest wind speed.
            > > >
            > > > Notice High is associated with the Wind Gust, Low is associated
            > > with
            > > > Wind Speed for the specified period.
            > > >
            > > > Since this is a new feature, only new data added to the 24 hour
            > > > history file will be accurate for these new fields. After 24
            > hours,
            > > > all of the history will be accurate when reflecting these new

          • schaka1
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
              WUHU, as you make modifications and additions to an already excellent piece of software, would you consider the following:

              The Actions/Alerts section provides notification of changes to individual parameters. That is, High Pressure, Falling Barometer etc.. Would it be possible to have it provide the outcome of 2 or more parameters?

              Here's an example:
              Barometer                  Rising                 Steady                  Falling
              30.50 and above                 Settled, fine                Settled, fine                  Fine outlook, less settled
              30.25                                       Fine                                 Fine                       Not Fine, south wind brings rain
               and so on!

              Basically what it would provide is a way to show the changes in the barometric pressures effects on weather

              Chuck

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
                I agree that the interface should be kept simple and the application
                lightweight.

                I have decided to implement the time and date for the high and low
                values. I am always looking at those stats and wondering when they
                happened. I usually open up the charts and go searching for the event.

                Now, if you hold the mouse over the high or low value of interest, a
                tool tip will show you the date and time of that event (last 24 hours
                only).

                Will work on the since midnight later.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
                  Chuck,

                  I will have to think on that.

                  I was trying to come up with some type of environment that will allow
                  some type of forecasting as you mention. Maybe even a Rexx
                  programming environment.

                  I would hate to limit the forecasting to pressure and wind direction
                  only.

                  Does anyone have forecasting experience here?

                  Feel free to toss out the ideas.

                  Thanks.

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "schaka1" <blkguy@...>
                  wrote:

                  > WUHU, as you make modifications and additions to an already
                  excellent
                  > piece of software, would you consider the following:
                  >
                  > The Actions/Alerts section provides notification of changes to
                  > individual parameters. That is, High Pressure, Falling Barometer
                  etc..
                  > Would it be possible to have it provide the outcome of 2 or more
                  > parameters?
                  >
                  > Here's an example:
                  > Barometer Rising Steady
                  > Falling
                  > 30.50 and above Settled, fine
                  Settled,
                  > fine Fine outlook, less settled
                  > 30.25 Fine
                  > Fine Not Fine, south wind brings rain
                  > and so on!
                  >
                  > Basically what it would provide is a way to show the changes in the
                  > barometric pressures effects on weather
                  >
                  > Chuck

                  > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Dan,
                  > >
                  > > Re-read your post.
                  > >
                  > > I think a Since midnight would be useful.
                  > >
                  > > Will add it to the list of to-dos.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.

                • schaka1
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
                    Thanks for considering the idea!

                    I'm not an expert but it's one of my passions! Given the data
                    generated by most of our weather stations we are limited to changes in
                    barometric pressure, the speed of those changes and wind direction.
                    These would give you about a 50:50 probability of making a good
                    prediction.

                    For this the Boolean Logic might work. IF the parameters of 2 or 3
                    conditions are met, THEN this is the result

                    To increase the accuracy, the mesomap concept comes in. Data from
                    weather stations generally west of you indicate weather moving your
                    way. Low pressure would indicate bad weather moving your way. The
                    pressure gradient between your station and stations "upstream" would
                    indicate the severity of the change.

                    An example would be stations west of you are showing lower barometric
                    pressure than you and rain, you probably have a windy, rainy day coming.

                    Just a few thoughts!! Again thanks for an excellent piece of software

                    Chuck

                    > Chuck,
                    >
                    > I will have to think on that.
                    >
                    > I was trying to come up with some type of environment that will allow
                    > some type of forecasting as you mention. Maybe even a Rexx
                    > programming environment.
                    >
                    > I would hate to limit the forecasting to pressure and wind direction
                    > only.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have forecasting experience here?
                    >
                    > Feel free to toss out the ideas.
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "schaka1" <blkguy@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > WUHU, as you make modifications and additions to an already
                    > excellent
                    > > piece of software, would you consider the following:
                    > >
                    > > The Actions/Alerts section provides notification of changes to
                    > > individual parameters. That is, High Pressure, Falling Barometer
                    > etc..
                    > > Would it be possible to have it provide the outcome of 2 or more
                    > > parameters?
                    > >
                    > > Here's an example:
                    > > Barometer Rising Steady
                    > > Falling
                    > > 30.50 and above Settled, fine
                    > Settled,
                    > > fine Fine outlook, less settled
                    > > 30.25 Fine
                    > > Fine Not Fine, south wind brings rain
                    > > and so on!
                    > >
                    > > Basically what it would provide is a way to show the changes in the
                    > > barometric pressures effects on weather
                    > >
                    > > Chuck

                    > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Dan,
                    > > >
                    > > > Re-read your post.
                    > > >
                    > > > I think a Since midnight would be useful.
                    > > >
                    > > > Will add it to the list of to-dos.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks.

                  • utahweatherbear
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
                      Most excellent WUHU! Brilliant use of the tool tip!

                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 10, 2006

                        Chuck,

                        I am defintetly not a weather expert and would not really know where to begin on weather prediction.

                        There was a request a while back where someone was looking for weather prediction software:

                        I was just poking around on the net this morning to see if there was any such application for the PC.

                        I found this software on the net:

                        http://www.wxsim.com/

                        There are two parts to the package, WXSIM and WXSimate. See the downloads section of his page.

                        It is way over my head but what I thought was interesting is that the author has a method of importing your home weather station data in to his application. Right now, he currently only supports the Davis Weatherlink and Weather Display applications. I have written off an email requesting more information about this, I will let you know if I get a response and how realistic it would be for implementing an interface. I might have to mimic the Davis binary history files and so far it does not look pretty.

                        In the mean time you might want to check out his application. The free version apparently is limited to predictions for Atlanta. GA. I think the registration fee is around $40. Even if we can not interface the weather stations to his application, it might be worth owning none the less as it can pull current weather observations from the web automatically. He has apparently worked on this application for many years and I highly doubt you could find anything like it for the price.

                        If you figure out how his application works, let me know, I have yet to figure out even the basics!