Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: anomalies with my wind indication

Expand Messages
  • mike_swe_seattle
    You re not alone, my father-in-law is experiencing the same problem with the LaCrosse 2315. In fact, we have a
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      You're not alone, my father-in-law is experiencing the same problem with the LaCrosse 2315.  In fact, we have a short history here in this group  with this problem.

      Today is an especially bad day, as seen in today's 4.5 hours of phantom 14mph wind gusts.

      Obviously, the toroid LaCrosse sent isn't working.  He's going to contact them again...

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John Angell" <kb7lyd@...> wrote:
      >
      > I am using the cheep LaCrosse 2308 weather station. I have been getting
      > anomalies with my wind indication. Specifically reading a consistent 14 mph
      > wind. Temps here have been below freezing, so not sure if this is creating
      > an issue. Has anyone else had this problem or are there any comments on
      > resolving this. Thanks! John @ Rainbow Springs near Granite Falls, WA
      >
      > John Angell
      > Kirkland Billing
      >
    • wuhu_software
      Mike, Watching the data from your father in law s station is that it is oscillating between 14 mph NNW and 0 mph SE. I am guessing this is not a noise issue.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
      • 0 Attachment

        Mike,

        Watching the data from your father in law's station is that it is oscillating between 14 mph NNW and 0 mph SE.

        I am guessing this is not a noise issue. If this were caused by interference, I would suspect random data to be returned.

        If the console is not hooked to the computer, does the display also show this oscillation?

        Another thing to test would be un-hooking the console from the PC and removing the power pack connection to the console so that it is running on batteries. This might rule out some kind of grounding problem.

        I have been running a WS-2310 for a few years and have not had a problem until lightning fried the console. I replaced the console with a WS-2308 keeping the same sensors in place, and it is working fine. I might have a random wind gust once per month, or a bad temperature reading once a week, but certainly nothing like you are seeing.

        If I had to guess, I would suspect that you may have a bad remote thermo unit or a bad anemometer. It is hard to be certain.

        Unfortunately there is probably no real easy way to determine which is the problem without swapping out parts.

        Looking at these other posts, it seems you are not alone with this NNW problem.

        Here are a couple:

        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lacrosse_weather_stations/message/1582

        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lacrosse_weather_stations/message/1154

        There was an issue with sunlight causing the unit to read WSW (or 248 degrees) although I do not believe it is related. That post can be read here:

        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lacrosse_weather_stations/message/1403

        Personally if I were experiencing these problems and my unit was under warrenty, I would request a complete replacement just to rule out the console.

        If anyone in the room is also seeing this, or you have a suggestion how to debug the problem, let us know.

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mike_swe_seattle" <mike.christianson@...> wrote:
        >
        > You're not alone, my father-in-law
        > <http://franksweather.blessednotlucky.com/> is experiencing the same
        > problem with the LaCrosse 2315. In fact, we have a short history here
        > in this group
        > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/message/2898>
        > with this problem.
        >
        > Today is an especially bad day, as seen in today's 4.5 hours of phantom
        > 14mph wind gusts
        > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KWAENU\
        > MC4&month=12&day=3&year=2006#normal_date_select> .
        >
        > Obviously, the toroid LaCrosse sent
        > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/message/2915>
        > isn't working. He's going to contact them again...
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John Angell" kb7lyd@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am using the cheep LaCrosse 2308 weather station. I have been
        > getting
        > > anomalies with my wind indication. Specifically reading a consistent
        > 14 mph
        > > wind. Temps here have been below freezing, so not sure if this is
        > creating
        > > an issue. Has anyone else had this problem or are there any comments
        > on
        > > resolving this. Thanks! John @ Rainbow Springs near Granite Falls, WA
        > >
        > > John Angell
        > > Kirkland Billing
        > >
        >

      • steve_03222
        I also have had a WS-2310 for many years and no real issues with wind. I do occasionally get the 14MPH , but as in WUHU s case it is very sporatic. It is very
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          I also have had a WS-2310 for many years and no real issues with wind.
          I do occasionally get the "14MPH", but as in WUHU's case it is very
          sporatic. It is very rare, less than once a Month.
          No problems with temps either, I do however have a dew point issue
          when the Humidity is low and the temp is cold, so I guess we all have
          some kind of issues now and then,

          Steve
        • John
          One thing I did notice is that the direction indicator never changed. Yes, winds have been very calm here. So I nudged the direction vainaround a bit. It
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            One thing I did notice is that the direction indicator never
            changed. Yes, winds have been very calm here. So I "nudged" the
            direction vainaround a bit. It seems to be working OK now. At this
            time, I would guess that it got stuck in a position that created the
            14 mph reading. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again. -
            John

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mike_swe_seattle"
            <mike.christianson@...> wrote:
            >
            > You're not alone, my father-in-law
            > <http://franksweather.blessednotlucky.com/> is experiencing the
            same
            > problem with the LaCrosse 2315. In fact, we have a short history
            here
            > in this group
            >
            <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/message/2898>

            > with this problem.
            >
            > Today is an especially bad day, as seen in today's 4.5 hours of
            phantom
            > 14mph wind gusts
            > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
            ID=KWAENU\
            > MC4&month=12&day=3&year=2006#normal_date_select> .
            >
            > Obviously, the toroid LaCrosse sent
            >
            <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/message/2915>
            > isn't working. He's going to contact them again...
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John Angell" <kb7lyd@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I am using the cheep LaCrosse 2308 weather station. I have been
            > getting
            > > anomalies with my wind indication. Specifically reading a
            consistent
            > 14 mph
            > > wind. Temps here have been below freezing, so not sure if this is
            > creating
            > > an issue. Has anyone else had this problem or are there any
            comments
            > on
            > > resolving this. Thanks! John @ Rainbow Springs near Granite
            Falls, WA
            > >
            > > John Angell
            > > Kirkland Billing
            > >
            >
          • mike_swe_seattle
            Thanks, I passed your message along to him. Don t know if he s tried anything but he did give LaCrosse another call. Here s what he wrote me about it: just
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks, I passed your message along to him.  Don't know if he's tried anything but he did give LaCrosse another call.  Here's what he wrote me about it:
              "just talked to trouble desk at lacrosse.  They are e-mailing meinfo on shielding the anemometer/ and, if it is something I dont wantto do-I can mail it in to them and they will shield it for us.  Verypolite they were.  First thing the gal asked was, did the toroid makeany difference.  Obviously, they have kept some record of the machine!"
              Will let you all know if anything changes...
            • mike_swe_seattle
              Update: We decided not to do any surgery on the equipment and sent in the anemometor and the cable. About two weeks later, they sent back a new one with
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Update:

                We decided not to do any "surgery" on the equipment and sent in the anemometor and the cable.  About two weeks later, they sent back a new one with coax cabling.  We haven't had any problems since then.  We're guessing it's to do with the shielding of the cable.

                Anyone else that is having the wind gust problem ought to make a polite phone call to LaCrosse and see if they can do the same.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mike_swe_seattle" <mike.christianson@...> wrote:
                >
                > Thanks, I passed your message along to him. Don't know if he's tried
                > anything but he did give LaCrosse another call. Here's what he wrote me
                > about it:
                > "just talked to trouble desk at lacrosse. They are e-mailing meinfo on
                > shielding the anemometer/ and, if it is something I dont wantto do-I can
                > mail it in to them and they will shield it for us. Verypolite they
                > were. First thing the gal asked was, did the toroid makeany difference.
                > Obviously, they have kept some record of the machine!"
                > Will let you all know if anything changes...
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.