Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: wind sensor jammed with snow

  • Tek Roo
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
      Fortunately, and quite coincidentally since I don't recall ever doing it on purpose, every vehicle I own (including the tractor) is 4WD, so no need to shovel the driveway, which is good considering my cross country ski track crosses it (if I ever actually get enough snow to cover the dirt).

      Colorado is hogging the snow!

      ::points accusingly southward::

      Richard H. Brant

      On 12/2/06, steve_03222 < steve_03222@...> wrote:

      Richard,
      Not sure if I mentioned before, but I spent 13 years in Casper, WY so
      I know what you mean about the wind and the snow. Never saw much
      freezing rain or wet snow there. Always had to shovel the driveway
      many times even for a few inches of snow. Seemed to always drift into
      my driveway. A few inches could equal a 12" drift.

      Steve
      Now in Bristol, NH

    • utahweatherbear
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
        This has always been a problem with home wx stations, and will
        continue to be unless you want to shell out big bucks. My old cup
        anemometer used to freeze up in the heavy snow, and my new propeller
        type does the same. A little direct sun for a couple hours usually
        clears it up. The NWS now uses ultrasonic sensors that have no moving
        parts, but they are ultra-expensive.

        As far as the rain gauge goes, my solution was to take a small
        heating pad and wrap it around the gauge. I covered the whole thing
        with black duct tape, making sure it was nice and air tight and that
        no extra pcpn would fall in due to the increased width. Most heating
        pads shut off after an hour or so, so I bought a 24 hour timer. Best
        I could find would leave it on for an hour, then off for 30 minutes.
        It keeps the gauge warm enough to melt the snow pretty much as it
        falls, though it hasn't been tested in really heavy snow. Best I
        could come up with though.

        dan

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler"
        <schneidler@...> wrote:

        > Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
        > blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted
        on
        > a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
        > blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
        > temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
        > again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened
        again
        > and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
        > Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
        > exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
        > circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way
        > protect it from snow but still catch the wind?
        >
        > While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
        > would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below
        or
        > something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
        > per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
        > compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

      • John Liss
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
          hehe Yup we are!!
          Got a foot today and it is still snowing!

          Tek Roo sat down at the console on 12/2/2006 8:20 AM and madly banged out: