Re: [wuhu_software_group] wind sensor jammed with snow

  • Tek Roo
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      I have been wondering if a heat lamp mounted near (but not too near) the wind measurement unit that can be switched on to clear the ice woudn't help out in such cases.  There is always the possibility of the thermal shock turning it on will break the bulb, but icing conditions usually occur around freezing temperatures, and not much farther below them, so the temperature differential shouldn't be _too_ bad.  Fortunately (?) it usually doesn't snow here until the temperatures are well below freezing so the snow doesn't actually stick to the equipment so problems are rare, but when they _do_ occur, they freeze the wind direction vane as well.  Though a cup-type anemometer would be less prone to freezing, I suspect it wouldn't help by much.

      I  _am_ planning on wrapping some pipe heating tape around the rain gauge so I have some form of precipitation measurement -- it's too windy here for traditional snowfall measurement.

      Richard H. Brant
      Carpenter, WY

      On 12/1/06, Peter Schneidler <schneidler@...> wrote:

      Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
      blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted on
      a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
      blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
      temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
      again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened again
      and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
      Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
      exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
      circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way to
      protect it from snow but still catch the wind?

      While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
      would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below or
      something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
      per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
      compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
        Richard,
        Not sure if I mentioned before, but I spent 13 years in Casper, WY so
        I know what you mean about the wind and the snow. Never saw much
        freezing rain or wet snow there. Always had to shovel the driveway
        many times even for a few inches of snow. Seemed to always drift into
        my driveway. A few inches could equal a 12" drift.

        Steve
        Now in Bristol, NH
      • Tek Roo
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
          Fortunately, and quite coincidentally since I don't recall ever doing it on purpose, every vehicle I own (including the tractor) is 4WD, so no need to shovel the driveway, which is good considering my cross country ski track crosses it (if I ever actually get enough snow to cover the dirt).

          Colorado is hogging the snow!

          ::points accusingly southward::

          Richard H. Brant

          On 12/2/06, steve_03222 < steve_03222@...> wrote:

          Richard,
          Not sure if I mentioned before, but I spent 13 years in Casper, WY so
          I know what you mean about the wind and the snow. Never saw much
          freezing rain or wet snow there. Always had to shovel the driveway
          many times even for a few inches of snow. Seemed to always drift into
          my driveway. A few inches could equal a 12" drift.

          Steve
          Now in Bristol, NH

        • utahweatherbear
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
            This has always been a problem with home wx stations, and will
            continue to be unless you want to shell out big bucks. My old cup
            anemometer used to freeze up in the heavy snow, and my new propeller
            type does the same. A little direct sun for a couple hours usually
            clears it up. The NWS now uses ultrasonic sensors that have no moving
            parts, but they are ultra-expensive.

            As far as the rain gauge goes, my solution was to take a small
            heating pad and wrap it around the gauge. I covered the whole thing
            with black duct tape, making sure it was nice and air tight and that
            no extra pcpn would fall in due to the increased width. Most heating
            pads shut off after an hour or so, so I bought a 24 hour timer. Best
            I could find would leave it on for an hour, then off for 30 minutes.
            It keeps the gauge warm enough to melt the snow pretty much as it
            falls, though it hasn't been tested in really heavy snow. Best I
            could come up with though.

            dan

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler"
            <schneidler@...> wrote:

            > Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
            > blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted
            on
            > a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
            > blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
            > temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
            > again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened
            again
            > and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
            > Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
            > exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
            > circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way
            > protect it from snow but still catch the wind?
            >
            > While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
            > would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below
            or
            > something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
            > per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
            > compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

          • John Liss
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
              hehe Yup we are!!
              Got a foot today and it is still snowing!

              Tek Roo sat down at the console on 12/2/2006 8:20 AM and madly banged out: