Re: [wuhu_software_group] wind sensor jammed with snow

  • Richard Ray, KI4PEQ
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      It sounds like you have one of those anemometers that looks like a jet engine, with a small fan inside a plastic circle. The wind turns the fan blades and sends an electrical signal to your weather station.

      With a lot of blowing snow and ice, this type of anemometer can jam up as you have found. See if your weather station can accept data from another type of anemometer. Ideally, you would look for one with horizontal arms with wind cups at the outside of each arm. As the capture surface is open instead of closed, that should reduce your problems.

      Look at this link for an example http://www.peetbros.com/HTML_Pages/part2.htm

      LaCrosse has this type of anemometer in the WS-3512. I have the one that you now have as part of my WS-3600. No snow and ice in great amounts in the Florida panhandle!

      Regards,

      Richard L. Ray
      KI4PEQ

      On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Peter Schneidler wrote:

      Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
      blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted on
      a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
      blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
      temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
      again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened again
      and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
      Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
      exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
      circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way to
      protect it from snow but still catch the wind?

      While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
      would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below or
      something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
      per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
      compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006

        Peter,

        One last thought on the wind sensor. Apparently La Crosse does make a cup version of the wind sensor however it is available only through various European suppliers. As far as I know, you can not order it over the web directly.

        The part # is TX118-20 (TX118-20 for 2300/2305/2308). I believe there is a version for the WS-36xx stations as well (Tx218-20). The price is approximately 35 Euros.

        If you are interested in buying that sensor, there are apparently a couple of people in France that will buy them on your behalf and ship one to you. I might be interested in purchasing one as well.  Maybe we could pool together an order.

        See the open2300 posting:

        You can see the sensors posted on this website:

        http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx118-20.php

        http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/tx218-20.php

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler" <schneidler@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > like an extension cord). It did not work out well for heating and
        > > created a bunch of noise on the communications lines. As I recall it
        > > did not defrost the sensor well either as too much of the generated
        > > heat was blown away in the slightest wind.
        > >
        > > As far as I know, none of the consumer grade weather stations have a
        > > heating element for the wind sensor. Some do have heating for the
        > > rain sensors, such as Davis.
        > >
        > > I am guessing you would have to create your own homebrew heater, no
        > > matter what type of station you decide to go with.
        > >
        > > You could create some type of fixed umbrella over sensors. If you
        > > placed it a foot or two above the sensors, I doubt it would have a
        > > drastic effect on accuracy.
        > >
        > > Speaking of Davis, they are pretty much the best consumer grade
        > > station you would want to invest in. The latest offering is the Davis
        > > Vantage Pro 2. It transmits wirelessly for I believe 1000'. Updates
        > > are given every 2.5 seconds.
        > >
        > > You can get a basic setup ($400) with the required data logger that
        > > is needed for an interface to the PC ($150). So at a minimum you are
        > > looking at about $550 + tax.
        > >
        > > As far as the mid-level, you could look at the WMR-968. It is
        > > wireless as well however the updates for the wind data are at 30
        > > second intervals minimum. The accuracy of the other sensors are
        > > probably about the same as the La Crosse units. The WMR-968 might
        > > have an advantage so far as the outdoor humidity goes. You can pick
        > > up a complete WMR-968 package at Costco for $199 (with cold weather
        > > sensor and an additional small remote display).
        > >
        > > Let us know what you decide to do.
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler"
        > > <schneidler@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
        > > > blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted
        > > on
        > > > a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
        > > > blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
        > > > temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
        > > > again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened
        > > again
        > > > and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
        > > > Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
        > > > exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
        > > > circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way
        > > > protect it from snow but still catch the wind?
        > > >
        > > > While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
        > > > would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below
        > > or
        > > > something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
        > > > per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
        > > > compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

      • Tek Roo
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
          I have been wondering if a heat lamp mounted near (but not too near) the wind measurement unit that can be switched on to clear the ice woudn't help out in such cases.  There is always the possibility of the thermal shock turning it on will break the bulb, but icing conditions usually occur around freezing temperatures, and not much farther below them, so the temperature differential shouldn't be _too_ bad.  Fortunately (?) it usually doesn't snow here until the temperatures are well below freezing so the snow doesn't actually stick to the equipment so problems are rare, but when they _do_ occur, they freeze the wind direction vane as well.  Though a cup-type anemometer would be less prone to freezing, I suspect it wouldn't help by much.

          I  _am_ planning on wrapping some pipe heating tape around the rain gauge so I have some form of precipitation measurement -- it's too windy here for traditional snowfall measurement.

          Richard H. Brant
          Carpenter, WY

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
            Richard,
            Not sure if I mentioned before, but I spent 13 years in Casper, WY so
            I know what you mean about the wind and the snow. Never saw much
            freezing rain or wet snow there. Always had to shovel the driveway
            many times even for a few inches of snow. Seemed to always drift into
            my driveway. A few inches could equal a 12" drift.

            Steve
            Now in Bristol, NH
          • Tek Roo
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
              Fortunately, and quite coincidentally since I don't recall ever doing it on purpose, every vehicle I own (including the tractor) is 4WD, so no need to shovel the driveway, which is good considering my cross country ski track crosses it (if I ever actually get enough snow to cover the dirt).

              Colorado is hogging the snow!

              ::points accusingly southward::

              Richard H. Brant

              On 12/2/06, steve_03222 < steve_03222@...> wrote:

              Richard,
              Not sure if I mentioned before, but I spent 13 years in Casper, WY so
              I know what you mean about the wind and the snow. Never saw much
              freezing rain or wet snow there. Always had to shovel the driveway
              many times even for a few inches of snow. Seemed to always drift into
              my driveway. A few inches could equal a 12" drift.

              Steve
              Now in Bristol, NH

            • utahweatherbear
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                This has always been a problem with home wx stations, and will
                continue to be unless you want to shell out big bucks. My old cup
                anemometer used to freeze up in the heavy snow, and my new propeller
                type does the same. A little direct sun for a couple hours usually
                clears it up. The NWS now uses ultrasonic sensors that have no moving
                parts, but they are ultra-expensive.

                As far as the rain gauge goes, my solution was to take a small
                heating pad and wrap it around the gauge. I covered the whole thing
                with black duct tape, making sure it was nice and air tight and that
                no extra pcpn would fall in due to the increased width. Most heating
                pads shut off after an hour or so, so I bought a 24 hour timer. Best
                I could find would leave it on for an hour, then off for 30 minutes.
                It keeps the gauge warm enough to melt the snow pretty much as it
                falls, though it hasn't been tested in really heavy snow. Best I
                could come up with though.

                dan

                <schneidler@...> wrote:

                > Hi there. My WS-2317's wind anemometer keeps getting jammed with
                > blowing snow and then reporting wind of 0.0 mph. I have it mounted
                on
                > a pole on top of our apartment building, but we've had a lot of wet,
                > blowing snow lately. It clogged up several days ago, but then the
                > temp went above freezing, and a few hours later it started working
                > again. I assume the snow blocking it melted. But its happened
                again
                > and it might not go above freezing again here for months (I'm in
                > Western AK). Any suggestions? Could I return it for a refund or
                > exchange do you think? The little thing that catches the wind is a
                > circle probably less than 2 inches in diameter. Is there some way
                > protect it from snow but still catch the wind?
                >
                > While I'm at it, do you have a more hardy weather station that you
                > would recommend? This one is only rated to something like 20 below
                or
                > something, and it usually does get colder than that here a few times
                > per year. What is the "gold standard"? And what is an affordable
                > compromise? Thank you so much for any help you all can give me!!!

              • John Liss
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                  hehe Yup we are!!
                  Got a foot today and it is still snowing!

                  Tek Roo sat down at the console on 12/2/2006 8:20 AM and madly banged out: