Re: lots of questions from a newbie

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2006
      Peter,

      Below are brief answers to your questions.

      > 1. Can I upload my data from the several days prior to when I started
      > uploading, or is there no way to post that old data? No big deal
      > either way.

      At this time, there is no way to upload archived data.

      > 2. I have no rain gauge. Can I remove the rain stuff from my page?
      > If so, how?

      There is no way to remove your rain data from the Weather Underground
      page.

      > 3. Tying into that, is the format of this page the product of
      > wunderground or is it a wuhu template? Can I move the daily
      > statistics box up to the top, for example? I didn't know if this is
      > sort of like "my yahoo" where you can move stuff around, or if the
      > template was from yuhu and we're stuck with it, which would be fine.

      The history page is static.

      > 4. I thought I saw something on wunderground that was something to
      > the effect of "copy this script and paste it into your webpage to
      > embed this weather box on your personal website". But I don't see
      > that on my weather page. Basically all I want for my personal site is
      > outside temp, wind chill factor, and wind speed. I know I could
      > publish this using heavyweather publisher, but I would rather not be
      > running 2 programs uploading all the time and I know I should be able
      > to pull my data off of wunderground, right?

      In WUHU, click 'My Weather Data at WU'. This will pull up the history
      page.

      On the screen, there is a large graphic display near the top that shows
      several weather variables (although windchill is not displayed). Below
      that graphic, there is a edit box containing html code that you can
      include in your page.

      > 5. What is the deal with wind gusting? My weather station doesn't
      > have that stat. How is it derived?

      Wind gust is defined as the highest windspeed seen over the past 2
      minutes. Some stations offer wind gust as a seperate data variable. In
      that case, the highest wind speed or wind gust will be reported as wind
      gust speed.

      > 6. I've never run my computer all of the time without stopping. I
      > just have a generic, cheapo emachine desktop. Is it likely it will
      > poop out after a couple months of nonstop operation, or have you guys
      > had no problems like this?

      You should have no problem running 24x7. My only recomendation is to
      occasionally clean out the case and especially the power supply. Over
      the years, I have seen several computers that are packed full of dust.
      This is especially true with the power supplies. In my opinion this can
      be a bit of a fire hazard.

      As far as the rest of the components in the computer, you should not
      have a problem.
    • Peter Schneidler
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2006
        Hey, thanks for answering everything so thoroughly! You're amazing!

        If I do a general search on wunderground for my zip code (99609) it
        still only pulls up the weather in Bethel (25 miles away, closest
        weather available online...until now). Will it ever reference MY
        weather data, or not because I'm an amateur or because I don't have
        rain data or some other reason?

        I take it wind chill factor is not something wunderground displays?
        No big deal. On my personal site, I already have a graphic showing
        the weather in Bethel. But because our weather here in Kasigluk can
        be different, I've added the wunderground graphic, and maybe I'll put
        a little wind chill chart so the curious can figure it out for
        themselves on the spot.

        Thanks again for everything!
        peter

        Ooooops: every afternoon my outside temp makes a huge spike, going
        from 10 degrees or whatever to 30 degrees or so in about 10 minutes.
        Obviously, the sun is affecting things. Problem is there is no shady
        spot within range of where I have to mount the wind thingamajig. I
        guess I'll try to put a little wooden roof over the sensor or
        something to give it shade. But that will have to wait until Spring
        as the roof is slippery and dangerous and will stay that way for
        another 6 months. : - )

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
          Peter,

          If you click the link on the WUHU screen, "Join Weather Underground"
          it should launch a browser that shows your station's settings.

          You can also display this page by opening the main page at WU,
          logging in, then clicking 'My Stations" link at the left.

          Make sure that your state, zip code, and country fields are set
          correctly.

          For the U.S., the country field is set to "US" (do not use quotes).

          If that is not the underlying issue, we will probably need WU to
          check in to it.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler"

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
            I checked that data, it is all correct. It is probably something
            unique to our ultra-rural situation out here. I'll send them an email
            and see what they say.
            peter