lots of questions from a newbie

  • Peter Schneidler
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
      Hi there. You guys have been a huge help to me already, helping me
      with getting a serial cable and other setup stuff. I've had my
      ws-2317 up and running for maybe a month now, and I've had it on my
      computer for about a week. Yesterday I started to tackle getting the
      data onto wunderground. I downloaded the wuhu software and now it
      appears to be working, here is my station:
      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KAKKASIG1

      First of all let me say thanks for your hard work on the software, it
      looks great! I'm especially excited about the "averages" column,
      which heavyweather and the heavyweather review software didn't appear
      to be able to do.

      I have lots of basic questions. If you guys have a "wuhu for dummies"
      doc or something, feel free to just send me to that.

      1. Can I upload my data from the several days prior to when I started
      uploading, or is there no way to post that old data? No big deal
      either way.

      2. I have no rain gauge. Can I remove the rain stuff from my page?
      If so, how?

      3. Tying into that, is the format of this page the product of
      wunderground or is it a wuhu template? Can I move the daily
      statistics box up to the top, for example? I didn't know if this is
      sort of like "my yahoo" where you can move stuff around, or if the
      template was from yuhu and we're stuck with it, which would be fine.

      4. I thought I saw something on wunderground that was something to
      the effect of "copy this script and paste it into your webpage to
      embed this weather box on your personal website". But I don't see
      that on my weather page. Basically all I want for my personal site is
      outside temp, wind chill factor, and wind speed. I know I could
      publish this using heavyweather publisher, but I would rather not be
      running 2 programs uploading all the time and I know I should be able
      to pull my data off of wunderground, right?

      5. What is the deal with wind gusting? My weather station doesn't
      have that stat. How is it derived?

      6. I've never run my computer all of the time without stopping. I
      just have a generic, cheapo emachine desktop. Is it likely it will
      poop out after a couple months of nonstop operation, or have you guys
      had no problems like this?

      Thank you so much, I know this is a lot of questions, all of which
      you've probably answered 50 times before on here. Thanks again!
      -peter schneidler
      kasigluk, ak
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2006
        Peter,

        Below are brief answers to your questions.

        > 1. Can I upload my data from the several days prior to when I started
        > uploading, or is there no way to post that old data? No big deal
        > either way.

        At this time, there is no way to upload archived data.

        > 2. I have no rain gauge. Can I remove the rain stuff from my page?
        > If so, how?

        There is no way to remove your rain data from the Weather Underground
        page.

        > 3. Tying into that, is the format of this page the product of
        > wunderground or is it a wuhu template? Can I move the daily
        > statistics box up to the top, for example? I didn't know if this is
        > sort of like "my yahoo" where you can move stuff around, or if the
        > template was from yuhu and we're stuck with it, which would be fine.

        The history page is static.

        > 4. I thought I saw something on wunderground that was something to
        > the effect of "copy this script and paste it into your webpage to
        > embed this weather box on your personal website". But I don't see
        > that on my weather page. Basically all I want for my personal site is
        > outside temp, wind chill factor, and wind speed. I know I could
        > publish this using heavyweather publisher, but I would rather not be
        > running 2 programs uploading all the time and I know I should be able
        > to pull my data off of wunderground, right?

        In WUHU, click 'My Weather Data at WU'. This will pull up the history
        page.

        On the screen, there is a large graphic display near the top that shows
        several weather variables (although windchill is not displayed). Below
        that graphic, there is a edit box containing html code that you can
        include in your page.

        > 5. What is the deal with wind gusting? My weather station doesn't
        > have that stat. How is it derived?

        Wind gust is defined as the highest windspeed seen over the past 2
        minutes. Some stations offer wind gust as a seperate data variable. In
        that case, the highest wind speed or wind gust will be reported as wind
        gust speed.

        > 6. I've never run my computer all of the time without stopping. I
        > just have a generic, cheapo emachine desktop. Is it likely it will
        > poop out after a couple months of nonstop operation, or have you guys
        > had no problems like this?

        You should have no problem running 24x7. My only recomendation is to
        occasionally clean out the case and especially the power supply. Over
        the years, I have seen several computers that are packed full of dust.
        This is especially true with the power supplies. In my opinion this can
        be a bit of a fire hazard.

        As far as the rest of the components in the computer, you should not
        have a problem.
      • Peter Schneidler
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2006
          Hey, thanks for answering everything so thoroughly! You're amazing!

          If I do a general search on wunderground for my zip code (99609) it
          still only pulls up the weather in Bethel (25 miles away, closest
          weather available online...until now). Will it ever reference MY
          weather data, or not because I'm an amateur or because I don't have
          rain data or some other reason?

          I take it wind chill factor is not something wunderground displays?
          No big deal. On my personal site, I already have a graphic showing
          the weather in Bethel. But because our weather here in Kasigluk can
          be different, I've added the wunderground graphic, and maybe I'll put
          a little wind chill chart so the curious can figure it out for
          themselves on the spot.

          Thanks again for everything!
          peter

          Ooooops: every afternoon my outside temp makes a huge spike, going
          from 10 degrees or whatever to 30 degrees or so in about 10 minutes.
          Obviously, the sun is affecting things. Problem is there is no shady
          spot within range of where I have to mount the wind thingamajig. I
          guess I'll try to put a little wooden roof over the sensor or
          something to give it shade. But that will have to wait until Spring
          as the roof is slippery and dangerous and will stay that way for
          another 6 months. : - )

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
            Peter,

            If you click the link on the WUHU screen, "Join Weather Underground"
            it should launch a browser that shows your station's settings.

            You can also display this page by opening the main page at WU,
            logging in, then clicking 'My Stations" link at the left.

            Make sure that your state, zip code, and country fields are set
            correctly.

            For the U.S., the country field is set to "US" (do not use quotes).

            If that is not the underlying issue, we will probably need WU to
            check in to it.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Schneidler"

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
              I checked that data, it is all correct. It is probably something
              unique to our ultra-rural situation out here. I'll send them an email
              and see what they say.
              peter