Re: Rain multiplier

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
      Audun,

      There is currently no method for tweaking the rainfall amounts.

      Why are you increasing the surface area of the rain gauge?

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
      <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm about to modify my rainbucket from 0.5mm to 0.1mm increments.
      > Could I hope for a fudge factor in WUHU to divide my measurement by
      5?
      > Physically I'll be doing this by adding a larger funnel (x5 the
      area of
      > the existing bucket)
      >
      > This would ensure correct reporting from my station using WUHU.
      >
      > Could my prayers be answered?
      >
      > Regards
      > Audun
      > Norway
      > http://vindkast.com

    • fikkaud
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
        My only reason is to increase the resolution. I hate to watch the
        rain pour down, and my gauge reacts 20 minutes later. hahaha
        Stupid me believes firmly that if I write a script to correct and
        rewrite the currdat.lst. And then only use currdat as the source for
        WUHU I'll get away with it. Am I right?? Or would I knock the socks
        off WUHU??

        Who am I??? Just full of ideas that probably never works.
        Audun
        http://vindkast.com

        > Audun,
        >
        > There is currently no method for tweaking the rainfall amounts.
        >
        > Why are you increasing the surface area of the rain gauge?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
        > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I'm about to modify my rainbucket from 0.5mm to 0.1mm increments.
        > > Could I hope for a fudge factor in WUHU to divide my measurement
        by
        > 5?
        > > Physically I'll be doing this by adding a larger funnel (x5 the
        > area of
        > > the existing bucket)
        > >
        > > This would ensure correct reporting from my station using WUHU.
        > >
        > > Could my prayers be answered?
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Audun
        > > Norway
        > > http://vindkast.com

      • utahweatherbear
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
          WUHU...I kind of dig the way he's thinking. I've never liked the fact
          that the rain gage on my 3610 only clicks every .02 inches. It would
          be nice to have a feature say, where you could double the opening
          into the rain gage, causing the gage to click when it thought .02
          inches had fallen, when in fact only .01 had in real time. Then,
          there would be an option somewhere in wuhu where you could multiply
          the amounts by half, ie the gage would click at twice the rate it
          does now, but the software would compensate, allowing for more
          accurate readings. Not sure if this would even work though. :-)

          Dan

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
            I would be concerned that the buckets would fill too fast and you
            could get inaccurate readings by the water spilling over each bucket.
            I know when I have been checking my bucket by pouring water in it
            from a glass has caused that problem if poured in too fast.

            Steve
          • utahweatherbear
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
              Yeah, that would be a concern for some. Though here in Utah it would be
              rare for it to rain that hard. However, I'm thinking that besides
              doubling the area, I would also at least double the height to avoid
              such a scenario. Still would be a nice click on option to have,
              something you could turn off if it's not working.

              Dan

              <steve_03222@...> wrote:

              > I would be concerned that the buckets would fill too fast and you
              > could get inaccurate readings by the water spilling over each bucket.
              > I know when I have been checking my bucket by pouring water in it
              > from a glass has caused that problem if poured in too fast.
              >

              > Steve

            • fikkaud
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
                WUHU
                Any comments on this post??
                Audun
                http://vindkast.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
                  fikkaud,

                  I will consider what modifications would be needed to create a tweak
                  for the rain sensor.

                  Right now, I do not have a station to test with so I am reluctant to
                  make any changes right now as it is impossible for me to debug it if
                  needed.

                  Will let you know when I can address that and other enhancement
                  requests.