Rain multiplier

  • fikkaud
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm about to modify my rainbucket from 0.5mm to 0.1mm increments.
      Could I hope for a fudge factor in WUHU to divide my measurement by 5?
      Physically I'll be doing this by adding a larger funnel (x5 the area of
      the existing bucket)

      This would ensure correct reporting from my station using WUHU.

      Could my prayers be answered?

      Regards
      Audun
      Norway
      http://vindkast.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
        Audun,

        There is currently no method for tweaking the rainfall amounts.

        Why are you increasing the surface area of the rain gauge?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
        <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm about to modify my rainbucket from 0.5mm to 0.1mm increments.
        > Could I hope for a fudge factor in WUHU to divide my measurement by
        5?
        > Physically I'll be doing this by adding a larger funnel (x5 the
        area of
        > the existing bucket)
        >
        > This would ensure correct reporting from my station using WUHU.
        >
        > Could my prayers be answered?
        >
        > Regards
        > Audun
        > Norway
        > http://vindkast.com

      • fikkaud
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
          My only reason is to increase the resolution. I hate to watch the
          rain pour down, and my gauge reacts 20 minutes later. hahaha
          Stupid me believes firmly that if I write a script to correct and
          rewrite the currdat.lst. And then only use currdat as the source for
          WUHU I'll get away with it. Am I right?? Or would I knock the socks
          off WUHU??

          Who am I??? Just full of ideas that probably never works.
          Audun
          http://vindkast.com

          > Audun,
          >
          > There is currently no method for tweaking the rainfall amounts.
          >
          > Why are you increasing the surface area of the rain gauge?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
          > <audun.fikke@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm about to modify my rainbucket from 0.5mm to 0.1mm increments.
          > > Could I hope for a fudge factor in WUHU to divide my measurement
          by
          > 5?
          > > Physically I'll be doing this by adding a larger funnel (x5 the
          > area of
          > > the existing bucket)
          > >
          > > This would ensure correct reporting from my station using WUHU.
          > >
          > > Could my prayers be answered?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Audun
          > > Norway
          > > http://vindkast.com

        • utahweatherbear
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
            WUHU...I kind of dig the way he's thinking. I've never liked the fact
            that the rain gage on my 3610 only clicks every .02 inches. It would
            be nice to have a feature say, where you could double the opening
            into the rain gage, causing the gage to click when it thought .02
            inches had fallen, when in fact only .01 had in real time. Then,
            there would be an option somewhere in wuhu where you could multiply
            the amounts by half, ie the gage would click at twice the rate it
            does now, but the software would compensate, allowing for more
            accurate readings. Not sure if this would even work though. :-)

            Dan

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
              I would be concerned that the buckets would fill too fast and you
              could get inaccurate readings by the water spilling over each bucket.
              I know when I have been checking my bucket by pouring water in it
              from a glass has caused that problem if poured in too fast.

              Steve
            • utahweatherbear
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
                Yeah, that would be a concern for some. Though here in Utah it would be
                rare for it to rain that hard. However, I'm thinking that besides
                doubling the area, I would also at least double the height to avoid
                such a scenario. Still would be a nice click on option to have,
                something you could turn off if it's not working.

                Dan

                <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                > I would be concerned that the buckets would fill too fast and you
                > could get inaccurate readings by the water spilling over each bucket.
                > I know when I have been checking my bucket by pouring water in it
                > from a glass has caused that problem if poured in too fast.
                >

                > Steve

              • fikkaud
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
                  WUHU
                  Any comments on this post??
                  Audun
                  http://vindkast.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
                    fikkaud,

                    I will consider what modifications would be needed to create a tweak
                    for the rain sensor.

                    Right now, I do not have a station to test with so I am reluctant to
                    make any changes right now as it is impossible for me to debug it if
                    needed.

                    Will let you know when I can address that and other enhancement
                    requests.