rain gauge problems

  • mtm81989
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19 2:04 PM
      well my rain gauge has been doing something weird. like at one point
      it was at 0.90 inches then all of a sudden it jumps to 64.61 inches
      and i wasnt even raining. so could you help
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19 3:53 PM
        What method are you using to communicate with the console (currdat.lst
        monitoring mode or direct serial)?

        Did you check the WUHU log to see if warnings were posted?

        Also, post your Weather Underground ID with the time and date when this
        happened and I will take a look.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mtm81989" <mtm81989@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21 8:37 AM
          well i have the cord going from the console to the computer if that
          is what you mean. but i have a WUHU account but no way to upload it
          to there so i dont think you can see what happened.

          > What method are you using to communicate with the console
          (currdat.lst
          > monitoring mode or direct serial)?
          >
          > Did you check the WUHU log to see if warnings were posted?
          >
          > Also, post your Weather Underground ID with the time and date when
          this
          > happened and I will take a look.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mtm81989" <mtm81989@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > well my rain gauge has been doing something weird. like at one
          point
          > > it was at 0.90 inches then all of a sudden it jumps to 64.61
          inches
          > > and i wasnt even raining. so could you help

        • mitchell
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
            ok, so today my rain gauge quit working. so i brought it in and looked inside. everything was working good looked like, then i took the little sensor out of the gauge. i looked to see if it was broke. then after i had it out the wire broke from the sauder, then the other wire did too. so i desided to change the wires because i thought there was probably a short in the wire somewhere. so i did and still the rain gauge doesnt work. do anyone have a clue wat it could be?
          • Rob Reab
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009

              What model weather station do you have? - Rob

              ok, so today my rain gauge quit working. so i brought it in and looked inside. everything was working good looked like, then i took the little sensor out of the gauge. i looked to see if it was broke. then after i had it out the wire broke from the sauder, then the other wire did too. so i desided to change the wires because i thought there was probably a short in the wire somewhere. so i did and still the rain gauge doesnt work. do anyone have a clue wat it could be?

            • H. Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009

                Check the reed switch with a continuity tester. It should close when you pass a magent past it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2009
                  ok the station name is ws-2310 twc, and i tested the reed switch and it works fine... and also i replaced the wire so its good... but still nothing. i still doesnt work. could it be the hydro/thermal sensor being messed up?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
                    Possible. Are you checking the changes to the rain total at the console or within WUHU? If within WUHU make sure that "disable all rainfall reporting" and "disable rainfall sensor" options are not checked.

                    I guess what I would to is use the meter at the end of the RJ-11 that connects to the remote thermo. If that checks out ok, pop the case on the remote thermo, trace the leads that go from the rain sensor's RJ11 port to where ever they are routed on the printed circuit board. If the signal makes it all the way to the chip it is connected to, then I would guess it is a bad sensor at that point.