Re: Hello again

  • tradewinds63
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006
      Well, as per a serial to USB adapter, it's going to take a bit more
      than just that, isn't it; less you know of a USB control driver that
      would repeat back as a com for WUHU , how would WUHU connect to USB?
      In the link is about what's needed to connect a La Crosse serial to a
      USB port and it comes with the appropriate software drivers. And, no,
      unfortunatly I don't have any around the house;p

      http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm

      I would like to see full "Rapid fire" data streaming into the network
      from the station. I'll see what La Crosse has to say and in the
      meanwhile, I keep sending the gimp packets.

      Thanks,
      Mike

> [...]
      > > delaying the updates further.
      > > What's up with that? Is there anything that can be done to stop
      all
      > > these dam errors aside from scrapping the project all together?
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "tradewinds63"
      > > <tradewinds63@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello Steve and wuhu_software,
      > > > Thank you for your replies.
      > > >
      > > > Just so happens, I just finished trying your recommendations
      > > before
      > > > I read them. Less the pc and console power strip sharing, of
      > which,
      > > > will try out next, but, at present. You two hit the nail on the
      > > head.
      > > >
      > > > It's now working; however, I dislike the necessary
      > configuration
      > > as
      > > > it restricts the data intervals. I put batteries in the
      > > Thermo/Hygro
      > > > unit and unplugged the hard wire to the Thermo/Hygro at the
      > > console.
      > > > The console then switched to 433mhz wireless mode at
      > > synchronization.
      > > >
      > > > The reason why I tried that configuration was because I
      > decided
      > > > swap the supplied 100ma power supply for an 800ma power supply
      > and
      > > the
      > > > console took 4 times longer to crash. So, I figured there was a
      > > power
      > > > issue somewhere, somehow...
      > > >
      > > > Now the com to PC no longer crashes/hangs the outdoor data
      at
      > > the
      > > > console. Unfortunately this decreases the data sending periods
      > and
      > > > therefore, very possibly missing strong gust periods between
      data
      > > > transfer periods. I lean towards maximum data collection when
      > ever
      > > > possible and I was expecting a minimum of 6 to 8 second
      readings
      > or
      > > > quicker.
      > > >
      > > > I live in the Sky valley, bottle necked in Gold Bar at the
      > > > Cascades gateway and it's a major weather gateway through the
      > > Cascade
      > > > Range into the eastern portion of the state, nestled right
      > between
      > > two
      > > > large "foot hills" actually mountains themselves. We've been
      > > observing
      > > > the commencement of funnel cloud formations within the past
      > couple
      > > > years and the weather about to come our way this time of year
      > will
      > > be
      > > > very erratic, to say the least. Knocked over fencing is typical
      > > > inclusive of some roofing tear off every year. It's not
      uncommon
      > > > find large sections of fencing 100' or more from its origin.
      I'd

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006

        Mike,

        Beware that all USB to serial adapters are not the same. We have tested a couple adapters in the group and found several that did not work. Some worked for 6-12 hours, then caused the machine to lock up or reboot.

        You will want to find an adapter that is based on the Prolific chipset. It may be the chipset or the well written driver that allows the adapter to work with the console and Heavyweather, we are not sure.

        Here is a posting on the subject:

      • tradewinds63
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006
          WUHU...

          At this point, I'll just wait till La Crosse gives a verdict
          pertaining to this model and the acceptable PC operation
          configurations.
          Could be that I simply have a defect in the consoles com hub...
          Unfortunately, La Crosse wasn't wise enough to write a Diagnostic
          utility and make it available on their website.
          Many technical hardware and software Corporations whine about the
          cost of customer service but fail to grasp the concept of the WWW and
          downloadable self reporting diagnostic utilities.

          La Crosse should use an EPROM chipset with flash support in one unit.
          That way, upgrades (from additional sensor sales) are merely a
          download/purchase away for the consumer. I don't get why these
          weather instrument companies insist on having more than one console
          model/OS. Make one console and one console only, sell it for cheap
          cheap cheap, then manufacture add-on sensors and the console owner
          could build a weather station however they like. Aren't we suppose to
          be thinking "Green" and about "recycling"? There's far more money to
          be had if one is wise enough to see where its hidden.

          Can't these folks see how the industry works? I've yet to see a smart
          console or company that offers a PC weather OS.

          YES WEATHER OS; they could simply write a PC program that uses
          wireless or port communications to communicate with the sensors that
          they manufacture from one old PC, they could simply give the software
          away for free and empower the software user to build the ultimate
          weather station from their available sensor products.

          How many old computers are in the grave yard store or in a garage or
          attic? Those computers are worthless with regard to modern all around
          computing tasks, however, they possess more than enough power to run
          a Linux based Weather OS. These weather station manufacturers have a
          gold mine right under their noses and can't see it. Today's
          mothballed computer offers such manufacturers the freedom to
          concentrate merely on perfecting a sensor.

          Are you LINUX kernel developers reading the above? Get to it!

          Sincerely,
          Mike

> [...]
          > >
          > > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm
          > >
          > > I would like to see full "Rapid fire" data streaming into the
          network
          > > from the station. I'll see what La Crosse has to say and in the
          > > meanwhile, I keep sending the gimp packets.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Mike

          > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I would write La Crosse and tell them about the dashes in the
          > > display
          > > > and that they do not appear when running wireless.
          > > >
          > > > Do not worry too much about the failure. After a successful
          read of
          > > > the data, it will be uploaded. You should not see any noticeable
          > > gaps
          > > > at Weather Underground or CWOP.
          > > >
          > > > It would be interesting to see how the console would work with a
          > > > different PC. No serial to USB adapter available?

        • Jim Kelleher
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
            Mike;

            I've read the various posts regarding your problem
            with consistant wired communication between the
            thermo/hygro unit and the console. I run a WS-2310
            completely hard-wired with no batteries in the outside
            unit but with batteries in the console for power
            outage protection. The modular cabling/signaling
            method used with these systems is not very robust when
            dealing with EMI issues. The cabling is not unshielded
            twisted pair/current loop as would be found with
            Ethernet, nor is it shielded/Tx, Rx, Return as would
            be found with serial communications such as RS-232. I
            would inspect the cable route used between the outside
            unit and the console for possible sources of EMI as
            this could be corrupting the data stream. It is my
            understanding that the dashes on the console indicate
            that the units are no longer synchonized. Hope this
            helps you out.

            Jim

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • tradewinds63
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
              La Crosse support writes the following:
              Mike,

              This unit will work hardwired and to the computer. After connecting
              the hardwire cord, please Press and Hold the PRESSURE and WIND buttons
              at the same time for 10 seconds to reset the base. Waith 30 minutes
              and everything should be reading.

              Is your wall outlet 2 prong or 3 prong?

              You can purchase a 9 pin serial to USB adapter at most department or
              computer stores. Or go to www.greatbigoutlet.com and purchase the BAFO
              USB adapter they stock which has been tested and confirmed to work
              with our stations. It is important that your USB adapter be Windows
              Certified as using non-certified adapters can lead to stability problems.

              After installing the adapter check in device manager to confirm that
              Windows has recognized the adapter. If it does not show under ports
              (com & lpt) double-check that the driver has been installed. If the
              adapter has been recognized, right click on it, choose properties >
              port settings > advanced. Then be sure to select a com port number
              between one and four. After configuring the adapter, connect the
              weather station and open the Heavy Weather software. Data should begin
              to download within a minute or two.

              Best Regards,

              Diane

              La Crosse Technology - Customer Support

              2817 Losey Blvd South

              La Crosse WI 54601

              (888) 211-1923 Phone

              (608) 796-1020 Fax

              www.lacrossetechnology.com

              support@...

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jim Kelleher
              <jkelleher_gk6513@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > my wind measures in 1 second intervals;)
              > > >
              > > > Anyhow, I'm going to check out the
              > > polarization theory next.
              > > I'd
              > > > like to increase the data rate to what I was
              > > expecting. If that
              > > doesn't
              > > > work, I'll have to contact La Crosse as they never
              > > mentioned within
              > > the
              > > > manual such a necessary configuration as I have
              > > now and had they...
              > > > would have bought something else. I read the
              > > manual on-line before
              > > > buying the dang thing and you would think they
              > > would mention such a
              > > > necessary configuration with a PC.
              > > >
              > > > BTW, my data is sent out as KWAGOLDB2 and CW6637.
              > > Looks nice and
              > > calm
              > > > out here now… lets see what transpires beginning

            • tradewinds63
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                Negative,

                The La Crosse e-mail recommendations for the serial connection was
                a bust, merely 2 good packets were sent (after 20 minutes) and the
                rest were garbage and after getting the 2 good packets the console
                outdoor data began to freeze up again.
                Without knowing the appropriate com configuration Parity, stop bits,
                fifo compatibility, etc, and not knowing the necessary BIOS support, I
                see no reason in attempting to hardwire to the Thermo/hygro unit, not
                unless - I want to spin my wheels the rest of the week.

                La Crosse dropped the ball with regard to providing these important
                details.

                I'd like to know what the 21 and 23 or 24 mean shortly after
                booting up the console, each appears to be a differing mode and
                contingent upon the connections to the console. But I see no reference
                in the manual of these console boot codes. It's another mystery,
                compliments of La Crosse and probably an important detail.

                I've never in 24 years of computer use encountered such a problem
                installing a device, from plotters, multi-meters, oscilloscopes,
                spectrometers, and a wide range of communication devices, etc. Of all
                the devices, this has been the most difficult and meager with regard
                to technical information, a real dead horse.

                Enough said, I'll simply use the radio transmission mode with the
                computer connection and give up on a hardwire connection.

                <tradewinds63@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > hell.
                > > >
                > > > I've sent an e-mail to La Crosse about the situation
                > > > with the
                > > > station, well see if it's the way it's suppose to
                > > > be.... GRRRRRR.
                > > > Ancient connectors!
                > > >
                > > > In the mean while, I'm using wuhu as a stand alone
                > > > with wireless mode
                > > > on the console and it appears that only 48 out of 58
                > > > updates on wuhu
                > > > were not corrupted data. I got the following errors
                > > > on the wuhu log
                > > > file: "An error occurred reading the storm alert
                > > > from the console",
                > > > five times in a row. But, it's not crashing the
                > > > console data just
                > > > delaying the updates further.
                > > > What's up with that? Is there anything that can be
                > > > done to stop all
                > > > these dam errors aside from scrapping the project

              • David Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                  Message
                  Mike,
                     Are you using the originally supplied cable marked for use with the console or did you make your own? I have my sensor about 40 feet away from my console (a little longer than the 32 feet supplied - plus I needed to run it through the wall so not having the connector on it makes it easier). Now I have run telephone cable all through my house and for work for many years - and did the same here. I use category 5 cable (to allow for multiple phone lines typically) and made the standard connectors for telephone. When I plugged in the cable and performed the reset, I was getting no data (just dashes). So I started doing some investigating. The first thing I did was check for voltages. Well I found them, but not on the pins they were supposed to be on. So, wondering what was going on I took a close look at the supplied cable and found that it is basically a cross-over cable where each of the two standard pairs were swapped on the opposite end of the cable. Once I corrected one connector and performed the reset, voila I was getting data. It sure is nice to see the data come in every 6 seconds (although faster would be even better). This is likely useful for anyone wanting to extend the cable with custom made cables. They say in the book that if you want to extend the cables, to add on to the existing cable using a coupler. Well that will work fine since the cross-over is already performed in the original cable. This is a lot like a null modem adapter and is likely what it is doing.

                  Let us know if this helps.

                  David

                  <tradewinds63@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > hell.
                  > > >
                  > > > I've sent an e-mail to La Crosse about the situation
                  > > > with the
                  > > > station, well see if it's the way it's suppose to
                  > > > be.... GRRRRRR.
                  > > > Ancient connectors!
                  > > >
                  > > > In the mean while, I'm using wuhu as a stand alone
                  > > > with wireless mode
                  > > > on the console and it appears that only 48 out of 58
                  > > > updates on wuhu
                  > > > were not corrupted data. I got the following errors
                  > > > on the wuhu log
                  > > > file: "An error occurred reading the storm alert
                  > > > from the console",
                  > > > five times in a row. But, it's not crashing the
                  > > > console data just
                  > > > delaying the updates further.
                  > > > What's up with that? Is there anything that can be
                  > > > done to stop all
                  > > > these dam errors aside from scrapping the project

                • Jim Kelleher
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                    David;

                    The cables supplied with the WS 23xx units are
                    standard 4 conductor telephone patch cables which, by
                    design, have a cross-over built into them (pin 1 to 4,
                    2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 4 to 1). When you add a standard
                    telephone coupler (which also has a cross-over
                    configuration) and another patch cable, they cancel
                    each other out and you end up where you started. With
                    a standard analog device (phone, modem, fax machine)
                    it generally doesn't matter if the cables are wired
                    straight thru like a data patch cable (i.e. Ethernet)
                    or with a cross-over (i.e. telephone). However, the WS
                    23xx units are non-standard devices and, therefore,
                    need to have the equivalent of one reversal in the
                    segment between the console and the thermo/hygro unit.

                    Jim

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • tradewinds63
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                      E gads...

                      I should leave this alone, but, there seems to be some confusion on
                      connector protocols here. Standard protocol is device face to face and
                      cord back to back, that's the first rule and it comes before pin#
                      standards as the pin number standards are established atop device face
                      to face and cord back to back.

                      Yes, that's what I have, the original patch and it "appears" to be
                      crossed with regard to the pins when reading the pin number to actual
                      internal wire connective, but you're missing the back to back or face
                      to face rule of same sex connections as the standard configuration for
                      all same sex and opposite sex connections.

                      Boils down to a connection of the thermo/hygro to console as same sex
                      devices Pin 1 to 4, 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 4 to 1. Because the cord is
                      simply a Male/Male extension a "true cross over" would be to flip one
                      of the male jacks when attaching the plug to the cord during
                      manufacturing so the pin# matched to the same wire. Common I/O
                      requires opposite sex connectors from device to device with pin #
                      matching or the same sex pins to match face to face of opposite pin #
                      and of 4 we would observe when held together at same sex 1-4, 2-3, 3-2
                      and 4-1 and that's same sex face to face. Always, no matter sex and
                      pin # it's face to face/back to back of either device or cord
                      respectively.

                      Case in point, the common CRT monitor to Video card is Monitors male
                      to video cards female. If by chance you have a monitor that has a jack
                      without a hardwire fixed cord, the monitors jack may be female like
                      the video card and the patch cord will be male/male and the pins will
                      be back to back (opposite at face) by default and face to face at
                      devices; that is not crossed over. In-fact the thermo/hygro to console
                      is indeed not crossed over and conforms to standard wiring protocol,
                      with no cross over.

                      This imaginary cross over is an illusion created by not understanding
                      the standards of device to device connective protocol. Which is simply
                      male1 to female1 or if same sex to same sex mirrored pin numbers. If
                      one device lacks a cord or cannot be directly connected without a
                      patch, its jack can be the same sex as the intended connecting device.

                      Imagine simply changing the sex of the Thermo/hygro sensor from what
                      is now, then if it were possible to connect it to the console without
                      an "extension" (note extension, not patch). They would pin m1 to f1,
                      m2 to f2, m3 to f3 and m4 to f4, no cross over occurs and is
                      essentially exactly what La Crosse has done using same sex device jacks.

                      As it stands with the current connector method; follow along here, f1
                      to patch m1 through cord to male 4 to consoles f4. The protocol is not
                      broken and no cross over occurs because it still ends up device face
                      to device face. You see, the female on each device will by default
                      face to face touch at opposite pin numbers...

                      There is no cross over unless a wire is permanently connected same sex
                      both sides through cord to same sex and same pin-out. That is a cross
                      over, as is a cord that has one female end and a male end (called a
                      crossed extension) and they are manufactured with opposing pin-out #'s
                      or some odd form therein.

                      If La Crosse had chosen an opposite sex connector at each device, we
                      would have an extension cable. With device A @ m-1 connecting to f-1 @
                      cable through @ m-1 connecting to f-1 @ device B; thus, device A is
                      connecting m-1 to device B F-1.

                      The La Crosse WS 2308 uses no cross over and is standard concerning
                      connector protocol. We're observing the back to back (cord) and face
                      to face (device) rule. Cords are back to back, devices are face to
                      face with no deviations in the natural contact as brought together and
                      if not a default natural contact face to face or back to back then
                      they are considered "crossed".

                      Remember the basic rule first - face to face and back to back.
                      Matching the pin#'s are only applicable when a face to face male to
                      female device connection is established and or a cord that's back to
                      back male/female and same sex connections will reflect opposite pin
                      numbers through the back to back rule.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                        Message
                        Egads is right!  I must have had myself screwed up too many times. I do normally work with network connections which do have a different way of handling things. I usually work with the wall plugs and not the connectors themselves so that is likely were my confusion came from. Thanks for clearing things up! This was just the source of my problem and thought it might be relevant. If you are just using the original cable and are still having problems, it may be you have a faulty unit. I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved.

                        David

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                          Hello Dave,

                          You didn't screw up; the all of industry is screwed up. Does some
                          things one way and then it turns around and does something else
                          another way, then some Maverick manufacturer comes along and does some
                          real odd ball thing. Bottom line, when creating any connection for
                          something new, need to have the specs on each device. Who knows for
                          sure anymore? Compatibility seems to be a problem in this industry
                          from time to time and every time they seem to merge everything
                          perfectly, they change the cords or standards again.

                          In the world of computers and power, you are correct, it's pin# to
                          pin# or like type, but, I've had some devices that didn't conform to
                          anything normal. I don't know why that occurs, it just does. There's
                          only one thing I have found to be semi true, it's that a majority of
                          the time, the connector type dictates its standard protocol, most of
                          the time.

                          I once had an RS232 cable in a box (molded, not a configurable
                          type), a friend used it with his ZIP drive. He plugged it in and smoke
                          came pouring out of his ZIP drive. Upon investigation of the RS232, we
                          found it had a couple real strange pin to pin configurations. It would
                          have been nice if the manufacturer would have put a red X or some
                          other eye grabbing marker on it.

                          Anyhow, I appreciate your input, and yes you're correct about the
                          cross-over, they do indeed cross over, but on the other hand, they
                          don't, not according to Ma Bells corner of the universe ;)

                          I wonder why La Crosse used Ma Bell connectors?

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Williams"

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                            Mike;

                            You have got to be kidding. There are standards in
                            this industry that define the specifications for the
                            various connectors used in the connectivity between
                            data devices. I don't care if you are using an RJ11,
                            RJ45, DB9, DB25 or any of the countless number of
                            other connectors used for data connectivity, pin#1
                            connects to pin#1 connects to pin#1 regardless of the
                            sex or physical location of the connector. Anyone with
                            any experience in data cabling should be able to point
                            out to you which pin is pin#1, pin#2 etc. As for all
                            of the other specs you require before you plug the
                            cable in between the console and the thermo/hygro
                            unit, I don't see the point. It is plug and pray. You
                            plug it in and pray that it works. Many of us have
                            done it and have been successful in downloading our
                            data to our PC's and various servers for many months
                            without any problems. If you have tried the basic
                            setup with the included cables in a 'burn in
                            configuration' i.e. on the kitchen table or the back
                            deck, and are still having problems, you have a
                            defective unit(s) or a flawed configuration. If the
                            system works 'on the ground' but fails after
                            installation, you'll need to look at the installation
                            techniques used. Many of us are here to help with any
                            questions you may have.

                            Jim

                            === message truncated ===

                            http://mail.yahoo.com