Re: Hello again

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
      Mike,
      Just a couple quick thoughts;
      These units seem to be easily affected by the cable length and cable
      movement due to wind.

      So just wondering if you used any extension cables or if it is
      possible that cable movement is causing interferance.

      I also wonder what the effect of not having batteries in the units
      are. I run hard wired, but always keep fresh batteries to handle any
      power outage or even a brief brown out or flucuation.

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
        Tradewind,

        There is no diagnostic mechanism to check the unit through the serial
        port. There is a tricky and unreliable serial protocol that I would
        not bother digging in to if I were you (nothing you can do with hyper-
        terminal).

        If the unit is displaying dashes, either the console is having
        communications issues with the remote thermo unit or the remote
        thermo unit cannot communicate with the sensors.

        If they dashes are appearing randomly for all outdoor data, then it
        is probably a problem with the thermo unit. If you are seeing bad
        temperature and humidity readings, this is probably the case as those
        sensors are contained in the remote thermo unit.

        As suggested by Steve, you should try putting the batteries in the
        remote thermo to see if that has an effect. I have never tried
        running the remote thermo unit without them. It may draw power from
        them when it needs to.

        If the batteries do not solve the issue, and if the cabling is good
        (modular connections are good, etc), it is probably a faulty thermo
        unit.

        A couple of other things you might try would be to completely
        disconnect the unit from the PC. The console ground is not connected
        to the PC ground. They are creating some type of virtual ground using
        the handshake lines. If possible, plug the console's A/C adapter in
        to the same power strip / outlet that the PC is plugged to.

        You might try running the console in wireless mode to see if the
        dashes are still displayed. This might clue you in to whether or not
        it is a console to PC issue or whether the remote thermo unit is flat
        out defective. When you switch between wired mode and wireless mode,
        hold the + key on the console down until it beeps. It will then try
        to determine the communication mode it should use.

        If all else fails my guess is that you will probably have to send the
        console and the thermo unit back to La Crosse since it is impossible
        for us end users to debug these things. Any and all technical details
        of the communications are kept secret (for whatever reason).

        Let us know how it turns out.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "tradewinds63"
        <tradewinds63@...> wrote:

        > I was curious about the base station standing alone with the
        > computer and no software running/communicating with it. So last
        night I
        > shut down the system, rebooted and left the ws 2308 hooked up and
        > alone, just it and the PC together on com 1... it was blanked out
        again
        > this morning when I got up. So, it's not a software issue. It's
        either
        > my com port or my ws 2308 that is screwed up. However, the comport
        > works just fine when using other hardware devices.
        >
        > Will have to contact La Crosse to see if they have some sort of
        system
        > diagnostic check I can preform with hyperterminal or command promt.
        > tried to connect with it on Hyperterminal but I get no hand shake
        or
        > any other activity on the prompt upon connect.
        >
        > The issue seems more complex than a casual setting of some sort, so
        > please disregard my questions.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike

      • tradewinds63
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hello Steve and wuhu_software,
          Thank you for your replies.

          Just so happens, I just finished trying your recommendations before
          I read them. Less the pc and console power strip sharing, of which, I
          will try out next, but, at present. You two hit the nail on the head.

          It's now working; however, I dislike the necessary configuration as
          it restricts the data intervals. I put batteries in the Thermo/Hygro
          unit and unplugged the hard wire to the Thermo/Hygro at the console.
          The console then switched to 433mhz wireless mode at synchronization.

          The reason why I tried that configuration was because I decided to
          swap the supplied 100ma power supply for an 800ma power supply and the
          console took 4 times longer to crash. So, I figured there was a power
          issue somewhere, somehow...

          Now the com to PC no longer crashes/hangs the outdoor data at the
          console. Unfortunately this decreases the data sending periods and
          therefore, very possibly missing strong gust periods between data
          transfer periods. I lean towards maximum data collection when ever
          possible and I was expecting a minimum of 6 to 8 second readings or
          quicker.

          I live in the Sky valley, bottle necked in Gold Bar at the
          Cascades gateway and it's a major weather gateway through the Cascade
          Range into the eastern portion of the state, nestled right between two
          large "foot hills" actually mountains themselves. We've been observing
          the commencement of funnel cloud formations within the past couple
          years and the weather about to come our way this time of year will be
          very erratic, to say the least. Knocked over fencing is typical
          inclusive of some roofing tear off every year. It's not uncommon to
          find large sections of fencing 100' or more from its origin. I'd like
          my wind measures in 1 second intervals;)

          Anyhow, I'm going to check out the polarization theory next. I'd
          like to increase the data rate to what I was expecting. If that doesn't
          work, I'll have to contact La Crosse as they never mentioned within the
          manual such a necessary configuration as I have now and had they... I
          would have bought something else. I read the manual on-line before
          buying the dang thing and you would think they would mention such a
          necessary configuration with a PC.

          BTW, my data is sent out as KWAGOLDB2 and CW6637. Looks nice and calm
          out here now… lets see what transpires beginning next month :)

          Thanks,
          Mike
        • tradewinds63
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
            I tried the same power strip as the PC and it was a bust.
            It appears that I cannot use the hardwire to the thermo/hygro sensor
            if I want to connect to the PC. I can't test it with my other
            computers because they don't support serial port connectors. I have
            one old ancient beast that I had to resurrect from the dead out in
            the garage, just to use this weather station. I had to clean (blow
            can) off the dust from the garage, reformat the drive, load Xp from
            scratch, etc. It's been a real pain and the noise from the cooling
            fan is driving me up the wall! It's the pc from hell.

            I've sent an e-mail to La Crosse about the situation with the
            station, well see if it's the way it's suppose to be.... GRRRRRR.
            Ancient connectors!

            In the mean while, I'm using wuhu as a stand alone with wireless mode
            on the console and it appears that only 48 out of 58 updates on wuhu
            were not corrupted data. I got the following errors on the wuhu log
            file: "An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console",
            five times in a row. But, it's not crashing the console data just
            delaying the updates further.
            What's up with that? Is there anything that can be done to stop all
            these dam errors aside from scrapping the project all together?

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
              I would write La Crosse and tell them about the dashes in the display
              and that they do not appear when running wireless.

              Do not worry too much about the failure. After a successful read of
              the data, it will be uploaded. You should not see any noticeable gaps
              at Weather Underground or CWOP.

              It would be interesting to see how the console would work with a
              different PC. No serial to USB adapter available?

              <tradewinds63@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > like
              > > my wind measures in 1 second intervals;)
              > >
              > > Anyhow, I'm going to check out the polarization theory next.
              > I'd
              > > like to increase the data rate to what I was expecting. If that
              > doesn't
              > > work, I'll have to contact La Crosse as they never mentioned
              within
              > the
              > > manual such a necessary configuration as I have now and had
              they...
              > > would have bought something else. I read the manual on-line
              before
              > > buying the dang thing and you would think they would mention such
              > > necessary configuration with a PC.
              > >
              > > BTW, my data is sent out as KWAGOLDB2 and CW6637. Looks nice and
              > calm
              > > out here now… lets see what transpires beginning next month :)

            • tradewinds63
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006
                Well, as per a serial to USB adapter, it's going to take a bit more
                than just that, isn't it; less you know of a USB control driver that
                would repeat back as a com for WUHU , how would WUHU connect to USB?
                In the link is about what's needed to connect a La Crosse serial to a
                USB port and it comes with the appropriate software drivers. And, no,
                unfortunatly I don't have any around the house;p

                http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm

                I would like to see full "Rapid fire" data streaming into the network
                from the station. I'll see what La Crosse has to say and in the
                meanwhile, I keep sending the gimp packets.

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006

                  Mike,

                  Beware that all USB to serial adapters are not the same. We have tested a couple adapters in the group and found several that did not work. Some worked for 6-12 hours, then caused the machine to lock up or reboot.

                  You will want to find an adapter that is based on the Prolific chipset. It may be the chipset or the well written driver that allows the adapter to work with the console and Heavyweather, we are not sure.

                  Here is a posting on the subject:

                • tradewinds63
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 5, 2006
                    WUHU...

                    At this point, I'll just wait till La Crosse gives a verdict
                    pertaining to this model and the acceptable PC operation
                    configurations.
                    Could be that I simply have a defect in the consoles com hub...
                    Unfortunately, La Crosse wasn't wise enough to write a Diagnostic
                    utility and make it available on their website.
                    Many technical hardware and software Corporations whine about the
                    cost of customer service but fail to grasp the concept of the WWW and
                    downloadable self reporting diagnostic utilities.

                    La Crosse should use an EPROM chipset with flash support in one unit.
                    That way, upgrades (from additional sensor sales) are merely a
                    download/purchase away for the consumer. I don't get why these
                    weather instrument companies insist on having more than one console
                    model/OS. Make one console and one console only, sell it for cheap
                    cheap cheap, then manufacture add-on sensors and the console owner
                    could build a weather station however they like. Aren't we suppose to
                    be thinking "Green" and about "recycling"? There's far more money to
                    be had if one is wise enough to see where its hidden.

                    Can't these folks see how the industry works? I've yet to see a smart
                    console or company that offers a PC weather OS.

                    YES WEATHER OS; they could simply write a PC program that uses
                    wireless or port communications to communicate with the sensors that
                    they manufacture from one old PC, they could simply give the software
                    away for free and empower the software user to build the ultimate
                    weather station from their available sensor products.

                    How many old computers are in the grave yard store or in a garage or
                    attic? Those computers are worthless with regard to modern all around
                    computing tasks, however, they possess more than enough power to run
                    a Linux based Weather OS. These weather station manufacturers have a
                    gold mine right under their noses and can't see it. Today's
                    mothballed computer offers such manufacturers the freedom to
                    concentrate merely on perfecting a sensor.

                    Are you LINUX kernel developers reading the above? Get to it!

                    Sincerely,
                    Mike

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm
                    > >
                    > > I would like to see full "Rapid fire" data streaming into the
                    network
                    > > from the station. I'll see what La Crosse has to say and in the
                    > > meanwhile, I keep sending the gimp packets.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Mike

                    > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > I would write La Crosse and tell them about the dashes in the
                    > > display
                    > > > and that they do not appear when running wireless.
                    > > >
                    > > > Do not worry too much about the failure. After a successful
                    read of
                    > > > the data, it will be uploaded. You should not see any noticeable
                    > > gaps
                    > > > at Weather Underground or CWOP.
                    > > >
                    > > > It would be interesting to see how the console would work with a
                    > > > different PC. No serial to USB adapter available?

                  • Jim Kelleher
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                      Mike;

                      I've read the various posts regarding your problem
                      with consistant wired communication between the
                      thermo/hygro unit and the console. I run a WS-2310
                      completely hard-wired with no batteries in the outside
                      unit but with batteries in the console for power
                      outage protection. The modular cabling/signaling
                      method used with these systems is not very robust when
                      dealing with EMI issues. The cabling is not unshielded
                      twisted pair/current loop as would be found with
                      Ethernet, nor is it shielded/Tx, Rx, Return as would
                      be found with serial communications such as RS-232. I
                      would inspect the cable route used between the outside
                      unit and the console for possible sources of EMI as
                      this could be corrupting the data stream. It is my
                      understanding that the dashes on the console indicate
                      that the units are no longer synchonized. Hope this
                      helps you out.

                      Jim

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • tradewinds63
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                        La Crosse support writes the following:
                        Mike,

                        This unit will work hardwired and to the computer. After connecting
                        the hardwire cord, please Press and Hold the PRESSURE and WIND buttons
                        at the same time for 10 seconds to reset the base. Waith 30 minutes
                        and everything should be reading.

                        Is your wall outlet 2 prong or 3 prong?

                        You can purchase a 9 pin serial to USB adapter at most department or
                        computer stores. Or go to www.greatbigoutlet.com and purchase the BAFO
                        USB adapter they stock which has been tested and confirmed to work
                        with our stations. It is important that your USB adapter be Windows
                        Certified as using non-certified adapters can lead to stability problems.

                        After installing the adapter check in device manager to confirm that
                        Windows has recognized the adapter. If it does not show under ports
                        (com & lpt) double-check that the driver has been installed. If the
                        adapter has been recognized, right click on it, choose properties >
                        port settings > advanced. Then be sure to select a com port number
                        between one and four. After configuring the adapter, connect the
                        weather station and open the Heavy Weather software. Data should begin
                        to download within a minute or two.

                        Best Regards,

                        Diane

                        La Crosse Technology - Customer Support

                        2817 Losey Blvd South

                        La Crosse WI 54601

                        (888) 211-1923 Phone

                        (608) 796-1020 Fax

                        www.lacrossetechnology.com

                        support@...

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jim Kelleher
                        <jkelleher_gk6513@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > my wind measures in 1 second intervals;)
                        > > >
                        > > > Anyhow, I'm going to check out the
                        > > polarization theory next.
                        > > I'd
                        > > > like to increase the data rate to what I was
                        > > expecting. If that
                        > > doesn't
                        > > > work, I'll have to contact La Crosse as they never
                        > > mentioned within
                        > > the
                        > > > manual such a necessary configuration as I have
                        > > now and had they...
                        > > > would have bought something else. I read the
                        > > manual on-line before
                        > > > buying the dang thing and you would think they
                        > > would mention such a
                        > > > necessary configuration with a PC.
                        > > >
                        > > > BTW, my data is sent out as KWAGOLDB2 and CW6637.
                        > > Looks nice and
                        > > calm
                        > > > out here now… lets see what transpires beginning

                      • tradewinds63
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                          Negative,

                          The La Crosse e-mail recommendations for the serial connection was
                          a bust, merely 2 good packets were sent (after 20 minutes) and the
                          rest were garbage and after getting the 2 good packets the console
                          outdoor data began to freeze up again.
                          Without knowing the appropriate com configuration Parity, stop bits,
                          fifo compatibility, etc, and not knowing the necessary BIOS support, I
                          see no reason in attempting to hardwire to the Thermo/hygro unit, not
                          unless - I want to spin my wheels the rest of the week.

                          La Crosse dropped the ball with regard to providing these important
                          details.

                          I'd like to know what the 21 and 23 or 24 mean shortly after
                          booting up the console, each appears to be a differing mode and
                          contingent upon the connections to the console. But I see no reference
                          in the manual of these console boot codes. It's another mystery,
                          compliments of La Crosse and probably an important detail.

                          I've never in 24 years of computer use encountered such a problem
                          installing a device, from plotters, multi-meters, oscilloscopes,
                          spectrometers, and a wide range of communication devices, etc. Of all
                          the devices, this has been the most difficult and meager with regard
                          to technical information, a real dead horse.

                          Enough said, I'll simply use the radio transmission mode with the
                          computer connection and give up on a hardwire connection.

                          <tradewinds63@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > hell.
                          > > >
                          > > > I've sent an e-mail to La Crosse about the situation
                          > > > with the
                          > > > station, well see if it's the way it's suppose to
                          > > > be.... GRRRRRR.
                          > > > Ancient connectors!
                          > > >
                          > > > In the mean while, I'm using wuhu as a stand alone
                          > > > with wireless mode
                          > > > on the console and it appears that only 48 out of 58
                          > > > updates on wuhu
                          > > > were not corrupted data. I got the following errors
                          > > > on the wuhu log
                          > > > file: "An error occurred reading the storm alert
                          > > > from the console",
                          > > > five times in a row. But, it's not crashing the
                          > > > console data just
                          > > > delaying the updates further.
                          > > > What's up with that? Is there anything that can be
                          > > > done to stop all
                          > > > these dam errors aside from scrapping the project

                        • David Williams
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 7, 2006
                            Message
                            Mike,
                               Are you using the originally supplied cable marked for use with the console or did you make your own? I have my sensor about 40 feet away from my console (a little longer than the 32 feet supplied - plus I needed to run it through the wall so not having the connector on it makes it easier). Now I have run telephone cable all through my house and for work for many years - and did the same here. I use category 5 cable (to allow for multiple phone lines typically) and made the standard connectors for telephone. When I plugged in the cable and performed the reset, I was getting no data (just dashes). So I started doing some investigating. The first thing I did was check for voltages. Well I found them, but not on the pins they were supposed to be on. So, wondering what was going on I took a close look at the supplied cable and found that it is basically a cross-over cable where each of the two standard pairs were swapped on the opposite end of the cable. Once I corrected one connector and performed the reset, voila I was getting data. It sure is nice to see the data come in every 6 seconds (although faster would be even better). This is likely useful for anyone wanting to extend the cable with custom made cables. They say in the book that if you want to extend the cables, to add on to the existing cable using a coupler. Well that will work fine since the cross-over is already performed in the original cable. This is a lot like a null modem adapter and is likely what it is doing.

                            Let us know if this helps.

                            David

                            <tradewinds63@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > hell.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've sent an e-mail to La Crosse about the situation
                            > > > with the
                            > > > station, well see if it's the way it's suppose to
                            > > > be.... GRRRRRR.
                            > > > Ancient connectors!
                            > > >
                            > > > In the mean while, I'm using wuhu as a stand alone
                            > > > with wireless mode
                            > > > on the console and it appears that only 48 out of 58
                            > > > updates on wuhu
                            > > > were not corrupted data. I got the following errors
                            > > > on the wuhu log
                            > > > file: "An error occurred reading the storm alert
                            > > > from the console",
                            > > > five times in a row. But, it's not crashing the
                            > > > console data just
                            > > > delaying the updates further.
                            > > > What's up with that? Is there anything that can be
                            > > > done to stop all
                            > > > these dam errors aside from scrapping the project

                          • Jim Kelleher
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                              David;

                              The cables supplied with the WS 23xx units are
                              standard 4 conductor telephone patch cables which, by
                              design, have a cross-over built into them (pin 1 to 4,
                              2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 4 to 1). When you add a standard
                              telephone coupler (which also has a cross-over
                              configuration) and another patch cable, they cancel
                              each other out and you end up where you started. With
                              a standard analog device (phone, modem, fax machine)
                              it generally doesn't matter if the cables are wired
                              straight thru like a data patch cable (i.e. Ethernet)
                              or with a cross-over (i.e. telephone). However, the WS
                              23xx units are non-standard devices and, therefore,
                              need to have the equivalent of one reversal in the
                              segment between the console and the thermo/hygro unit.

                              Jim

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • tradewinds63
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                                E gads...

                                I should leave this alone, but, there seems to be some confusion on
                                connector protocols here. Standard protocol is device face to face and
                                cord back to back, that's the first rule and it comes before pin#
                                standards as the pin number standards are established atop device face
                                to face and cord back to back.

                                Yes, that's what I have, the original patch and it "appears" to be
                                crossed with regard to the pins when reading the pin number to actual
                                internal wire connective, but you're missing the back to back or face
                                to face rule of same sex connections as the standard configuration for
                                all same sex and opposite sex connections.

                                Boils down to a connection of the thermo/hygro to console as same sex
                                devices Pin 1 to 4, 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 4 to 1. Because the cord is
                                simply a Male/Male extension a "true cross over" would be to flip one
                                of the male jacks when attaching the plug to the cord during
                                manufacturing so the pin# matched to the same wire. Common I/O
                                requires opposite sex connectors from device to device with pin #
                                matching or the same sex pins to match face to face of opposite pin #
                                and of 4 we would observe when held together at same sex 1-4, 2-3, 3-2
                                and 4-1 and that's same sex face to face. Always, no matter sex and
                                pin # it's face to face/back to back of either device or cord
                                respectively.

                                Case in point, the common CRT monitor to Video card is Monitors male
                                to video cards female. If by chance you have a monitor that has a jack
                                without a hardwire fixed cord, the monitors jack may be female like
                                the video card and the patch cord will be male/male and the pins will
                                be back to back (opposite at face) by default and face to face at
                                devices; that is not crossed over. In-fact the thermo/hygro to console
                                is indeed not crossed over and conforms to standard wiring protocol,
                                with no cross over.

                                This imaginary cross over is an illusion created by not understanding
                                the standards of device to device connective protocol. Which is simply
                                male1 to female1 or if same sex to same sex mirrored pin numbers. If
                                one device lacks a cord or cannot be directly connected without a
                                patch, its jack can be the same sex as the intended connecting device.

                                Imagine simply changing the sex of the Thermo/hygro sensor from what
                                is now, then if it were possible to connect it to the console without
                                an "extension" (note extension, not patch). They would pin m1 to f1,
                                m2 to f2, m3 to f3 and m4 to f4, no cross over occurs and is
                                essentially exactly what La Crosse has done using same sex device jacks.

                                As it stands with the current connector method; follow along here, f1
                                to patch m1 through cord to male 4 to consoles f4. The protocol is not
                                broken and no cross over occurs because it still ends up device face
                                to device face. You see, the female on each device will by default
                                face to face touch at opposite pin numbers...

                                There is no cross over unless a wire is permanently connected same sex
                                both sides through cord to same sex and same pin-out. That is a cross
                                over, as is a cord that has one female end and a male end (called a
                                crossed extension) and they are manufactured with opposing pin-out #'s
                                or some odd form therein.

                                If La Crosse had chosen an opposite sex connector at each device, we
                                would have an extension cable. With device A @ m-1 connecting to f-1 @
                                cable through @ m-1 connecting to f-1 @ device B; thus, device A is
                                connecting m-1 to device B F-1.

                                The La Crosse WS 2308 uses no cross over and is standard concerning
                                connector protocol. We're observing the back to back (cord) and face
                                to face (device) rule. Cords are back to back, devices are face to
                                face with no deviations in the natural contact as brought together and
                                if not a default natural contact face to face or back to back then
                                they are considered "crossed".

                                Remember the basic rule first - face to face and back to back.
                                Matching the pin#'s are only applicable when a face to face male to
                                female device connection is established and or a cord that's back to
                                back male/female and same sex connections will reflect opposite pin
                                numbers through the back to back rule.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 8, 2006
                                  Message
                                  Egads is right!  I must have had myself screwed up too many times. I do normally work with network connections which do have a different way of handling things. I usually work with the wall plugs and not the connectors themselves so that is likely were my confusion came from. Thanks for clearing things up! This was just the source of my problem and thought it might be relevant. If you are just using the original cable and are still having problems, it may be you have a faulty unit. I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved.

                                  David

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                                    Hello Dave,

                                    You didn't screw up; the all of industry is screwed up. Does some
                                    things one way and then it turns around and does something else
                                    another way, then some Maverick manufacturer comes along and does some
                                    real odd ball thing. Bottom line, when creating any connection for
                                    something new, need to have the specs on each device. Who knows for
                                    sure anymore? Compatibility seems to be a problem in this industry
                                    from time to time and every time they seem to merge everything
                                    perfectly, they change the cords or standards again.

                                    In the world of computers and power, you are correct, it's pin# to
                                    pin# or like type, but, I've had some devices that didn't conform to
                                    anything normal. I don't know why that occurs, it just does. There's
                                    only one thing I have found to be semi true, it's that a majority of
                                    the time, the connector type dictates its standard protocol, most of
                                    the time.

                                    I once had an RS232 cable in a box (molded, not a configurable
                                    type), a friend used it with his ZIP drive. He plugged it in and smoke
                                    came pouring out of his ZIP drive. Upon investigation of the RS232, we
                                    found it had a couple real strange pin to pin configurations. It would
                                    have been nice if the manufacturer would have put a red X or some
                                    other eye grabbing marker on it.

                                    Anyhow, I appreciate your input, and yes you're correct about the
                                    cross-over, they do indeed cross over, but on the other hand, they
                                    don't, not according to Ma Bells corner of the universe ;)

                                    I wonder why La Crosse used Ma Bell connectors?

                                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Williams"

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                                      Mike;

                                      You have got to be kidding. There are standards in
                                      this industry that define the specifications for the
                                      various connectors used in the connectivity between
                                      data devices. I don't care if you are using an RJ11,
                                      RJ45, DB9, DB25 or any of the countless number of
                                      other connectors used for data connectivity, pin#1
                                      connects to pin#1 connects to pin#1 regardless of the
                                      sex or physical location of the connector. Anyone with
                                      any experience in data cabling should be able to point
                                      out to you which pin is pin#1, pin#2 etc. As for all
                                      of the other specs you require before you plug the
                                      cable in between the console and the thermo/hygro
                                      unit, I don't see the point. It is plug and pray. You
                                      plug it in and pray that it works. Many of us have
                                      done it and have been successful in downloading our
                                      data to our PC's and various servers for many months
                                      without any problems. If you have tried the basic
                                      setup with the included cables in a 'burn in
                                      configuration' i.e. on the kitchen table or the back
                                      deck, and are still having problems, you have a
                                      defective unit(s) or a flawed configuration. If the
                                      system works 'on the ground' but fails after
                                      installation, you'll need to look at the installation
                                      techniques used. Many of us are here to help with any
                                      questions you may have.

                                      Jim

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com