Connecting to WS3600 by USB

  • scumbag1010
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi All,
      I am a newbie at all this. I have been running a ws3600 on remote
      property in NSW Australia and when I go there once a month I usually
      download data onto a laptop. Last week I took along a new Laptopwith
      no Serial ports. I do have a USB -232 -serial bridgethat I control a
      telescope off.
      Is any body using a USB conncetion to this unit and or could exp[lain
      to me how I can get my data on a new machine.

      Cheers

      Don Whiteman
      Sydney Australia
    • stevech@san.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
        WS3600 must have a real serial port. Cannot do USB. Because the morons
        at the company that designed the 36xx for LaCrosse chose to use RS232
        serial in a most non-standard manner - bit-banging data using RTS/CTS
        etc instead of TD and RD as usual.

        > I am a newbie at all this. I have been running a ws3600 on remote
        > property in NSW Australia and when I go there once a month I usually
        > download data onto a laptop. Last week I took along a new Laptopwith
        > no Serial ports. I do have a USB -232 -serial bridgethat I control a
        > telescope off.
        > Is any body using a USB conncetion to this unit and or could exp[lain
        > to me how I can get my data on a new machine.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Don Whiteman
        > Sydney Australia

      • David Higgins
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hey Don,

          Fancy seeing you here :-)

          I have the same setup and same issue - I've just learned to live with
          it :-(

          Cheers

          David

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "scumbag1010" <don@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            If you can find a USB to serial adapter that advertises full hardware
            handshaking support as well as the RS-232 standard voltages (+/-
            12vdc), it will probably work with the WS-36xx.

            Most cheap serial adapaters (and some laptop integrated serial ports)
            use a voltage range of + / - 5 vdc.

            Let us know if you find a solution.