Heavyweather CPU utilization.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2005
      I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but Heavyweather Beta 2.0 is a
      CPU hog. My guess is that they did a poor job implementing the serial
      I/O routines and are rapidly polling the serial port for characters.
      On this particular machine (900Mhz AMD), it is eating up about 20% of
      the CPU at any given time.

      If you reduce Heavyweather's priority, your other applications will
      be more responsive.

      If you are running NT 4.0/2000/XP, you can go to the task manager and
      then click Processes, right click Heavyweather, select Set Priority,
      select Below Normal priority. Windows will warn you about changing
      the priorities, click yes to finish. Unfortunetly you will have to
      set the priority back to below normal each time you re-boot.

      Another method that can be used is to create a batch file to startup
      Heavyweather.

      Here is the contents of the .cmd file that I use:

      @echo off
      start /SEPARATE /BELOWNORMAL "" "heavy weather.exe"

      Save the file in the HeavyWeather Directory (C:\HeavyWeather), and
      call it something like "Startup HeavyWeather.cmd"

      Add a shortcut to "Startup HeavyWeather.cmd" in your startup folder.

      When the computer starts, HeavyWeather will be started with a below
      normal priority.