KARGREEN Back In Action!

  • DKee
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30 1:06 PM
      Still need to work on that solar shield, but for the most part, my station is back and in rapid fire mode! Seems like forever since it's been online. I'll work on that shield a little more over the next few days. The sensors are on temporary posts so I don't want to get too involved with making a shield then possibly having to re-invent another one.

      Just had to share the news!  :-)

      ~ Deborah

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30 1:29 PM
        Deborah,

        Welcome back.

        Did you get a WS-2310 again?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, DKee <debkee@...> wrote:

        > Still need to work on that solar shield, but for the most part, my
        station
        > is back and in rapid fire mode! Seems like forever since it's been
        online.
        > I'll work on that shield a little more over the next few days. The
        sensors
        > are on temporary posts so I don't want to get too involved with
        making a
        > shield then possibly having to re-invent another one.
        >
        > Just had to share the news! :-)
        >
        > ~ Deborah

      • DKee
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30 1:45 PM
          I replaced the rain and thermo sensors for the 2310. Ironically, the wind sensor was the only part not affected by the storms.

          ~ Deborah

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 30 2:18 PM
            Deborah,
            I too welcome you back to the world of real time weather reporting.
            Glad it all finally came together.

            Steve
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 30 3:40 PM
              For a shield, I use a 17" piece of 4" PVC with a 2" fan mounted in the far end drawing air over the hygro. Works like a charm. Is very easy to make and mount.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 30 3:55 PM
                Steve,
                Did you use just straight pipe?
                Did you just lay the sensor down inside the PVC?
                I posted a link awhile back for one made out of PVC, but it was more
                than just a straight piece. I was going to try it, but haven't gotten
                around to it yet. Ah I just found the link.
                http://www.gartholson.net/weathersensors/index.htm

                Is your fan an AC or DC fan? DO you know how many CFM it is.

                Sorry for all the questions, I have made two radiation shields of
                different designs, both aspirated and I am not pleased with the
                results I get.

                Thanks, Steve
              • DKee
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 30 4:25 PM
                  I'll have to try that Steve (akers305). Right now I have a thick Styrofoam ice chest around it with heat release holes cut at angles on top. Angled where the sun won't shine down through them. It worked pretty well on the last sensor, but I've had to relocate it where it faces west instead of east as before, which I'm sure causes more heating in the afternoons.

                  Actually, the last one had several holes in the top, with a "roof" of sorts anchored about 2 inches above it. I may do that this time as well, but as I said, this is a temporary set up, and I'm not completely sure where the permanent place will be. Somewhere it can't be taken with another straight line wind, that's for sure!

                  And Steve (03222) I looked at the link you sent out and perhaps I'm not mechanically inclined, but I couldn't quite figure it out. I'll take another look at it when I don't have distractions around.  :-)  Meanwhile, the questions you posted are great ones, and I'll be keeping an eye out for the answers.

                  ~ Deborah

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 30 4:31 PM
                    I used a straight piece, but on the lower end is mesh (to keep bugs out) then I mounted the sensor with screws on the inside about halfway up, then on top, took a 4" PVC cap, and cut a 2" hole in it, mounted the fan on the inside of the cap, hooked power to it, then closed the cap down. The fan is estimated (by manufacturer) to give 80,000 hours. I don't know about that, but they only cost 4 bucks. I had the NWS guys come by. They liked it alot.
                    I have mine going up into a homemade Stevenson Screen. Pictures of it are on FLCKR.com (CW6106)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 30 4:35 PM
                      This link will show you what I mean. In this photo one of the sides is removed for installation...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30 5:24 PM
                        Steve,
                        To make sure I understand. The fan is at the top and pulls air up from
                        the bottom and it exits out a 2" hole that also has the wires in it?

                        Where did you get such a small fan? I think I see a power cord, so is
                        it AC powered?

                        I built a screen and put a fan at the bottom and pushed air up over
                        the sensor. In direct sun it still read high.

                        Thanks, Steve
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 30 6:18 PM
                          I found that blowing the air over the sensor made the flow irregular. By drawing the air over the sensor, it is more uniform. The wires are attached from the fan to a typical "Wall wart" - AC adapter..and run through a small hole drilled in the cap. The a/c adapter is plugged into a power chord for now..working on solar power for it..My hygro sensor, which is ws-2310, is solar powered. The fans come from http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=16496+FN
                          and actually they are 2 3/8" in diameter. When I blew the air across the sensor, I was getting up and down humidity..but drawing it over it eliminated that...I built the Stevenson Screen with plywood and vent screens from Lowe's (cost about $1.80 each)...WE (my brother (he's the Archimedes of the family)and I) tried so many things...Coolers, wicker boxes..you name it..but I know Davis recommends anyone who has temps over 90 or 95 degrees to have an aspirated sensor, and I concur. It was a year of headaches to get it right, but that sort of is the fun of it.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 30 6:36 PM
                            OK Steve,
                            Thank you for the information I do appreciate it.

                            Steve
                          • Jim Kelleher
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 31 4:47 PM
                              Steve;
                              A picture is worth a thousand words. I was trying to picture it with a straight tube and just wasn't getting it. Now I got it! I was thinking of trying the design Steve_03222 posted a few weeks ago with a bigger pipe to allow for the big WS 2310 sensor. I'll let you guys know what I settled on. KARGREEN...Welcome back!
                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 31 7:07 PM
                                Jim, Yes when you decide what to do, post some pictures.

                                Steve
                              • Jim Kelleher
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
                                  Steve;
                                  I'll try to post before and afters (I'm sure that's
                                  not a word). I'm in southern NJ with Ernesto passing
                                  by on the west side. I won't be putting up big numbers
                                  like the NC station but I'll still be interested in
                                  what we get here.
                                  Jim
                                  KNJNEWFI1

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com