Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Opinions Please

  • Deborah Kee
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 19, 2006
      Thanks Kevin, that's why I was thinking about a laptop - for the battery backup. I've been looking at some of the eBay listings and it looks like I may be able to get a great price on one if I stay up late and bid during the night / early morning hours.  :-)

      Thinkpads seem to be the lowest priced most of the time. I can't get one yet, but looks like I may be able to within a couple of months on the outside. Unless I hit the lottery soon.  :-)

      ~ Deborah

      On 8/19/06, Kevin <klacour@...> wrote:

      I know a lot of people have recommended you look into a desktop, but
      the reason I use a laptop is because it has a built-in battery
      backup! Unless a power outage hits for longer than a 3-4 hours, my
      PC continues to collect data (of course, my modem and router are
      out, so updates do not get to my web site).

      You can still get a good buy on eBay, occasionally. Make sure it
      comes with an operating system.

      My laptop is an old Thinkpad 600. 256mb memory, 20gb HD. Runs WinXP
      like a champ. And since the only thing I use it for is my weather
      station, I do not need to worry about performance for other
      applications, like Word, Excel, etc ...

      All the major PC retailers have outlets. Look for the "OUTLET"
      or "REFURB" link on their pages.

      Also, do not forget to check Costco, Sam's, etc ... I picked up a
      great little desktop, eMachines, for $399, with monitor.