Discrepancy with Relative Pressure in Heavy Weather and wuhu

  • jmottle
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2005
      I'm having some problems with the relative pressure in both Heavy
      Weather and in wuhu.

      On my console the pressure that is displayed does not match the data I
      see in Heavy Weather. The absolute pressure is correct. I checked the
      currdat.lst file and it is correct and does match the console. I
      originally had wuhu reading the history.dat file which obviously was
      uploading incorrect relative pressure, so I switch it to read the
      currdat.lst file, but I've discovered that there is a discrepancy
      there as well. Here are the differences:

      HW (1009.1 hPa) - Console (1007.7 hPa)
      LST File (1007.7 hPa) - wuhu upload of the LST file (1007.3 hPa)

      Can anyone explain this to me.

      Cheers,
      Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
        Jeff,

        Here is the forumla used for the conversion to CWOP:

        fPressureMillibars=atof(m_OutdoorPressureRelativeINHG) * 33.86388158
        * 10.0

        Is it the CWOP data, WU data, or both that is not correct?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jmottle" <jmottle@y...>
        wrote:

        > I'm having some problems with the relative pressure in both Heavy
        > Weather and in wuhu.
        >
        > On my console the pressure that is displayed does not match the
        data I
        > see in Heavy Weather. The absolute pressure is correct. I checked
        the
        > currdat.lst file and it is correct and does match the console. I
        > originally had wuhu reading the history.dat file which obviously
        was
        > uploading incorrect relative pressure, so I switch it to read the
        > currdat.lst file, but I've discovered that there is a discrepancy
        > there as well. Here are the differences:
        >
        > HW (1009.1 hPa) - Console (1007.7 hPa)
        > LST File (1007.7 hPa) - wuhu upload of the LST file (1007.3 hPa)
        >
        > Can anyone explain this to me.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeff

      • jmottle
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
          <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

          > Is it the CWOP data, WU data, or both that is not correct?

          Using your formula the CWOP pressure seems to be correct and on
          their page it shows as it does on my console. I'm going to post a
          link to all my data becuase it will be easier to see at one
          particular time how every item compared. I'm seeing huge
          discrepancies in wind now as well.

          http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
          ID=IALBERTA36

          http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wx.cgi?call=CW4667&units=metric

          Here is the data from Heavy Weather pro in the data section for
          comparsison:

          WU

          11.12.2005 11:18am / 1015.5hPa Rel Pressure / -0.9C Out temp / 71%
          Out Hum. / -5.6C Dewp / 1.6km/h wind speed / North direction /
          8.00km/h Gust

          CWOP

          20051112181816 / 1015.6hPa Rel Pressure / -1C Out temp / 71% Out
          Hum. / 3.2km/h wind speed / 7 direction / 9.70km/h Gust

          Heavy Weather

          11.12.2005 11:18am / 1017.4hPa Rel Pressure / 867.4 hPa Abs / -0.9C
          Out temp / 71% Out Hum. / -5.4C Dewp / -0.9C Windc / 1.8km/h wind
          speed / NNE direction / 0.00km/h Gust /

          What I see on my console for the rel pressure is always higher by
          0.3-0.4hPa

          Wind speeds are not even close. There are no gusts in HW and they
          are being reported at times in the other sites. There are some small
          discrepancies in dew point too.

          Hope this helps.

          Cheers,
          Jeff

          I am now seeing that the wind of not match anythign either.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
            Jeff,

            That is interesting. This seems to be more than a rounding error.

            Could you possibly capture the currdat.lst file and see if it matches
            heavyweather? At times I have seen a mis-match between the data
            heavyweather is displaying and what it is sending to the currdat.lst
            file.

            As far as the dewpoints and wind speed goes, there may be mismatches
            in the following cases:

            1) If you are using currdat.lst, WUHU will report the highest
            windspeed reported in the currdat.lst over the past 10 minutes. Note
            that this file does not have a gust field so it is simply monitoring
            the wind speed.

            2) If you are using WS36xx history.dat file monitoring, the dewpoint
            is a calculated value since this is not stored in the history.dat.

            Let me know what you find.