Re: WS-2317!!!

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
      I've been playing around with a laptop with WIN 98 and a serial
      port/Com1 on the back, still get very...very spotty connections,
      I'll start heavy weather and it will connect and show everything. I
      can close Heavy Weather and restart it and there is nothing...or just
      partial display of info from the weather station.
      Ok..my questions then are...
      Does the port need any special setting? Baud rate? Hand Shaking?
      etc...etc? Does the unit only send info to Heavy Weather on a 'time'
      basis? ie...every 5 sec? every 15 sec? I'm going to have to run an
      extension to get to 'my' desktop. Does the extension telephone wire
      need to be 4 wire teminal? or will 2 wire terminal work?
      When it is hooked to Serial/USB adapter on com2 on the laptop, The
      Belkin shows data tranfer when I hook up the
      adapter...but nothing....

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Marion C. Maher"
      <msmaher@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone;
      >
      > The beta version of Heavy Weather would not work for me at all. I
      went to the Heavy Weather website and downloaded the latest version
      for my unit, a LaCrosse 3610, which was Heavy Weather Pro 3610. Then
      I was able to get everything up and running. I am also running
      Windows XP Pro, and I think that might have something to do with it,
      but I don't understand exactly what. The cable that came with my
      unit has a serial coupling and I just connected that to a port on my
      motherboard, if that makes any difference. The right version of
      software was what did it for me. Good luck to you Bob in getting
      things set up, I don't have any other suggestions except to check out
      a different version of the HW software.

      > Marion

      Checking
      > in device manager, com port is set to com4, which I have set in
      HW2.0.
      > Anybody have any ideas?
      > I ran HW pro for the 3600 and it reported no weather station
      detected.
      > Thanks all...
      >
      > .

    • KLINK
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <razbre@...> wrote:

        > I've been playing around with a laptop with WIN 98 and a serial
        > port/Com1 on the back, still get very...very spotty connections,
        > I'll start heavy weather and it will connect and show everything. I
        > can close Heavy Weather and restart it and there is nothing...or just
        > partial display of info from the weather station.
        > Ok..my questions then are...
        > Does the port need any special setting? Baud rate? Hand Shaking?
        > etc...etc? Does the unit only send info to Heavy Weather on a 'time'
        > basis? ie...every 5 sec? every 15 sec? I'm going to have to run an
        > extension to get to 'my' desktop. Does the extension telephone wire
        > need to be 4 wire teminal? or will 2 wire terminal work?
        > When it is hooked to Serial/USB adapter on com2 on the laptop, The
        > Belkin shows data tranfer when I hook up the
        > adapter...but nothing....

        Bob-

        When you open HW click on the paper clip icon next to Show History.
        Then click on Change Settings.There you can change the Recording
        Interval from 1 min. to 60 hrs.. The default is 1 Hr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2006
          Heavyweather will poll the station continously. It will pause every 5-
          10 seconds when the console is busy collecting data from the remote
          sensor.

          The com settings are 2400,n,8,1 (RTS and DTR and held high and low
          respectively. This is required). The software should configure the
          port automatically when it is opened.

          If you run an extension, you must use the 4-wire. Make sure you do
          not flip the modular connectors if you make your own.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2006
            The Beta 2.0 version of Heavyweather is designed for the WS23xx
            stations only.

            WS36xx must always run the Pro versions.

            The Pro version does not support the WS23xx at this time.

            As mentioned by another user, the WS36xx uses a communication scheme
            where the hand shake lines are used exclusively for communications
            (bytes are not transmitted over the normal TX and RX lines).

            This being the case, you must use a serial port that has full
            handshaking capabilities when attempting to communicate with the
            console.

            Beware that many laptops and USB serial adapters are using a + / - 5
            VDC signal levels on all of the serial port lines. I would recommend
            using a built in serial port or buy and PCI serial card to
            communication with the console. These ports usually support the +/-
            12 VDC voltages needed. Check the specs on the port before you buy.