WS-2317!!!

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hi All....
      New guy here, I have had various Lacrosse weather stations over the
      years but never to my PC. I got a WS-2317 from Sams last X-Mas and
      finally bought the rain gauge and cable to get it hooked up, so far
      though with absolutely no luck!
      Have tried 3 different Serial to USB cables and finally went out and
      bought the Belkin one that everyone here seems to find works, but still
      no go.
      Running Win XP pro, plenty of mem and Heavy Weather 2.0 beta. Checking
      in device manager, com port is set to com4, which I have set in HW2.0.
      Anybody have any ideas?
      I ran HW pro for the 3600 and it reported no weather station detected.
      Thanks all...
    • stevech@san.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
        the 3600 cannot work with a USB-to-serial dongle because it doesn't
        actually do serial I/O - it toggles RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD. Stupid.

        The 23xx can work with certain dongles - look for ones that use the FTDT
        chip set, or buy one on FTDI's website.

        > New guy here, I have had various Lacrosse weather stations over the
        > years but never to my PC. I got a WS-2317 from Sams last X-Mas and
        > finally bought the rain gauge and cable to get it hooked up, so far
        > though with absolutely no luck!
        > Have tried 3 different Serial to USB cables and finally went out
        > and
        > bought the Belkin one that everyone here seems to find works, but
        > still
        > no go.
        > Running Win XP pro, plenty of mem and Heavy Weather 2.0 beta.
        > Checking
        > in device manager, com port is set to com4, which I have set in HW2.0.
        > Anybody have any ideas?
        > I ran HW pro for the 3600 and it reported no weather station detected.
        > Thanks all...

      • Marion C. Maher
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hello Everyone;

          The beta version of Heavy Weather would not work for me at all.  I went to the Heavy Weather website and downloaded the latest version for my unit, a LaCrosse 3610, which was Heavy Weather Pro 3610.  Then I was able to get everything up and running.  I am also running Windows XP Pro, and I think that might have something to do with it, but I don't understand exactly what.  The cable that came with my unit has a serial coupling and I just connected that to a port on my motherboard, if that makes any difference.  The right version of software was what did it for me.  Good luck to you Bob in getting things set up, I don't have any other suggestions except to check out a different version of the HW software.

          Marion

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
            I've been playing around with a laptop with WIN 98 and a serial
            port/Com1 on the back, still get very...very spotty connections,
            I'll start heavy weather and it will connect and show everything. I
            can close Heavy Weather and restart it and there is nothing...or just
            partial display of info from the weather station.
            Ok..my questions then are...
            Does the port need any special setting? Baud rate? Hand Shaking?
            etc...etc? Does the unit only send info to Heavy Weather on a 'time'
            basis? ie...every 5 sec? every 15 sec? I'm going to have to run an
            extension to get to 'my' desktop. Does the extension telephone wire
            need to be 4 wire teminal? or will 2 wire terminal work?
            When it is hooked to Serial/USB adapter on com2 on the laptop, The
            Belkin shows data tranfer when I hook up the
            adapter...but nothing....

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Marion C. Maher"
            <msmaher@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone;
            >
            > The beta version of Heavy Weather would not work for me at all. I
            went to the Heavy Weather website and downloaded the latest version
            for my unit, a LaCrosse 3610, which was Heavy Weather Pro 3610. Then
            I was able to get everything up and running. I am also running
            Windows XP Pro, and I think that might have something to do with it,
            but I don't understand exactly what. The cable that came with my
            unit has a serial coupling and I just connected that to a port on my
            motherboard, if that makes any difference. The right version of
            software was what did it for me. Good luck to you Bob in getting
            things set up, I don't have any other suggestions except to check out
            a different version of the HW software.

            > Marion

          • KLINK
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <razbre@...> wrote:

              > I've been playing around with a laptop with WIN 98 and a serial
              > port/Com1 on the back, still get very...very spotty connections,
              > I'll start heavy weather and it will connect and show everything. I
              > can close Heavy Weather and restart it and there is nothing...or just
              > partial display of info from the weather station.
              > Ok..my questions then are...
              > Does the port need any special setting? Baud rate? Hand Shaking?
              > etc...etc? Does the unit only send info to Heavy Weather on a 'time'
              > basis? ie...every 5 sec? every 15 sec? I'm going to have to run an
              > extension to get to 'my' desktop. Does the extension telephone wire
              > need to be 4 wire teminal? or will 2 wire terminal work?
              > When it is hooked to Serial/USB adapter on com2 on the laptop, The
              > Belkin shows data tranfer when I hook up the
              > adapter...but nothing....

              Bob-

              When you open HW click on the paper clip icon next to Show History.
              Then click on Change Settings.There you can change the Recording
              Interval from 1 min. to 60 hrs.. The default is 1 Hr.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2006
                Heavyweather will poll the station continously. It will pause every 5-
                10 seconds when the console is busy collecting data from the remote
                sensor.

                The com settings are 2400,n,8,1 (RTS and DTR and held high and low
                respectively. This is required). The software should configure the
                port automatically when it is opened.

                If you run an extension, you must use the 4-wire. Make sure you do
                not flip the modular connectors if you make your own.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2006
                  The Beta 2.0 version of Heavyweather is designed for the WS23xx
                  stations only.

                  WS36xx must always run the Pro versions.

                  The Pro version does not support the WS23xx at this time.

                  As mentioned by another user, the WS36xx uses a communication scheme
                  where the hand shake lines are used exclusively for communications
                  (bytes are not transmitted over the normal TX and RX lines).

                  This being the case, you must use a serial port that has full
                  handshaking capabilities when attempting to communicate with the
                  console.

                  Beware that many laptops and USB serial adapters are using a + / - 5
                  VDC signal levels on all of the serial port lines. I would recommend
                  using a built in serial port or buy and PCI serial card to
                  communication with the console. These ports usually support the +/-
                  12 VDC voltages needed. Check the specs on the port before you buy.