Re: Problems After Storm

  • KLINK
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222" <steve_03222@...> wrote:

      > I bought the IO Gear USB to Serial that was recommended on this list.
      > I had tried another brand and it did not work for the LaCrosse Console.
      > I bought the IO/Gear at NewEgg.com
      > See below for the info from my receipt.
      >
      > 12-107-906 USB to COM ADPTR IOGEAR GUC232A RT 1 $24.99 $24.99
      >
      > I had no problem with this at all. I just followed the directions and
      > it worked first try. Only thing I had to do was to change the Com Port
      > on Heavyweather and WUHU.
      > here is the link, looks like it went up a buck.
      >
      > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107906
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Steve

      Steve-
      I got the Belkin adapter from Staples yesterday afternoon. Within 5 mins. HW was getting data.
    • KLINK
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "flashrx57" <barry.rector@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I'm new to your group and the main reason I joined was to resolve
        > this same issue. Prior to this I could not get Heavy Weather to
        > respond to any COM ports. I just purchased a Belkin Serial to USB
        > adapter (from Staples) and was able to resolve the problem short of
        > 20 minutes. It works like a charm now that I have it set up and
        > it's great to have the computer interface as a USB port. I also
        > like the fact that the Belkin adapter has status lights so that I
        > was (an am able) to confirm that the Station is sending info to my
        > computer. Definetly worth the price ($29.98)after trying to deal
        > with this problem for countless hours.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Barry

        Thanks Barry.
        I got that adapter from Staples and after 5 mins. everything was back to normal.
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
          Glad to here the Belkin adapter worked for you.

          Steve
        • n1edu
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
            <steve_03222@...> wrote:

            > Glad to here the Belkin adapter worked for you.
            >
            > Steve

            I have the same issue. I can't get data from console into my serial
            port. So you guys are saying go get the usb adapter? I just got my
            unit back from la crosse, and it still doesn't work !! I did get it
            to work on my old P 166 down in the basement on the heavy weather
            beta using win 98, but I can't get it to work on my P 3-866 up
            stairs - you know, the one that actually HAS internet !!

            I fiddled with the Com port settings in WIN 2000, software & BIOS,
            and went back to default. I tried my Garmin GPS just to flash update
            it, needed to anyway, and the com port works fine.

            Guess I'll get a USB thingy. How do you know the com port once USB
            adapter is in place?

            DO any of you have digital camera or USB printer connected to your
            systems. I don't mind fixing this situation, but I'd like to know
            why.....

            Thanks.

            BTW- do you know what it is like to not have your wx station
            reporting to Wunderground or CWOP for a month or two, let alone no
            console for 2 weeks.

            Dave.
            N1EDU
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
              Dave,

              1) Are you sure Heavyweather is configured for the correct serial
              port? See the Setup button in Heavyweather to confirm the port you
              are using.

              2) I can try to remotely debug your setup if you have VNC installed.
              I will upload Tridia VNC to the file section if you want to download
              it and set it up.

              Thanks.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "n1edu" <N1EDU@...> wrote:

              > <steve_03222@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Glad to here the Belkin adapter worked for you.
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >
              > I have the same issue. I can't get data from console into my
              serial
              > port. So you guys are saying go get the usb adapter? I just got
              my
              > unit back from la crosse, and it still doesn't work !! I did get
              it
              > to work on my old P 166 down in the basement on the heavy weather
              > beta using win 98, but I can't get it to work on my P 3-866 up
              > stairs - you know, the one that actually HAS internet !!
              >
              > I fiddled with the Com port settings in WIN 2000, software & BIOS,
              > and went back to default. I tried my Garmin GPS just to flash
              update
              > it, needed to anyway, and the com port works fine.
              >
              > Guess I'll get a USB thingy. How do you know the com port once USB
              > adapter is in place?
              >
              > DO any of you have digital camera or USB printer connected to your
              > systems. I don't mind fixing this situation, but I'd like to know
              > why.....
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > BTW- do you know what it is like to not have your wx station
              > reporting to Wunderground or CWOP for a month or two, let alone no
              > console for 2 weeks.
              >
              > Dave.
              > N1EDU

            • n1edu
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                Yup, I have tried all in the heavy beta, none work. I've tried the
                safe mode boot, with network support too, no luck. Will install the
                vnc in moments.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2006
                  Dave,

                  Let me know when you have VNC installed.

                  I will be logged in to messanger if you have a yahoo account.

                  add me to your friends list, wuhu_software

                • n1edu
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 16, 2006
                    I picked up the Belkin USB/Serial adapter today, installed the
                    driver, set it to com 3, did a reboot, and all is well. 530 updates,
                    no corrupt data, and life is good again.

                    Makes one wonder why they don't do it that way from the get go, and
                    why it is SOOOO sensitive to proximity lightning.

                    Thanks for the great technical support.

                    Dave,
                    N1EDU
                    New Hampshire.