Re: Rain Gauge Reading

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6 12:17 PM
      Are you sure the gauge is free of debris?

      I checked mine recently after a zero rainfall report and sure enough
      it was plugged up.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "masonjh1" <masonjh1@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6 2:21 PM
        I have a 2310 and I do believe that each tip of the bucket is .02. SO
        I would not get a .03 reading.
        Was it in Heavyweather that you saw the reading and not WU.
        Just to add to my Duh's as Mark would be so quick to point out. I have
        mixed up the hourly rainfall with the total rainfall on the WU report.
        I have also had times when spider webs would stop the rain bucket from
        tipping. Those spider webs are strong, same thing with the wind
        sensor. Every so often, when I think of it, I spray around each of
        them to keep the bugs out.

        Steve
      • Tom Gunter
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6 2:43 PM
          I had a zero one time and cleaned some spider webs out.  But the low readings continued after that.

          wrote:

          > I know Rain Gauges have been talked about before--but I have a
          > LaCrosse 2317CP with rain gauge--my readings are all within
          acceptable
          > parameters, but I'm concerned about my rain gauge reading. We had
          > rain last night and my reading was .03 inch--I have a manual rain
          > gauge I used before I got my Christmas gift and it read .30 this
          > morning. That's 10 times more than my LaCrosse showed. Is there
          > anyway of tweaking--or adjusting the rainfall? If not, any
          suggestions
          > as to how I might improve my readings to be more accurate?

        • James Mason
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6 4:29 PM
            I checked mine--there was a little dirt--and a little spider web not attached--I cleaned it thoroughly--and tested it--it tripped 27 times and HeavyWeather showed .73 and WU showed .81.  Would have thought the 4 oz of water I used in the test would have shown at least an inch or two. As you can tell, I did dribble the water in to cause it to trip 27 times.  Thanks for all the comments.  I'm checking with LaCrosse ito see if they have any suggestions.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6 6:59 PM
              I am not sure, but .81 / 27 = .03 in per tip.

              The manual states a 1mm resolution. (0.0394 In).

              It is possible that your test was correct.

              I am not sure if 4 oz should have produced an inch or two. You have
              to calculate the surface area of the rain collector then in turn a
              volume calculation.

              It may prove to be accurate.

              I will dig up an old post I did on the calculations. It is in a
              message somewhere in the group.

              Will check it out tomorrow.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, James Mason

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7 9:12 AM
                Mason,

                I found my old post on the approximate surface area of the rain
                collector (I guessed 3" x 5", should be pretty close).

                If WUHU registered a .81 increase in the rain total then you can
                calculate the approximate volume of the water you poured.

                If the rain collector is approximately 15 sq inches then:

                .81 (in) x 15 (sq. inches) = 12.15 (cubic inches).

                12.15 cubic inches is approximately 6.73 fluid oz.

                Is it possible that you poured 6.73 oz versus 4 oz?

                > I am not sure, but .81 / 27 = .03 in per tip.
                >
                > The manual states a 1mm resolution. (0.0394 In).
                >
                > It is possible that your test was correct.
                >
                > I am not sure if 4 oz should have produced an inch or two. You have
                > to calculate the surface area of the rain collector then in turn a
                > volume calculation.
                >
                > It may prove to be accurate.
                >
                > I will dig up an old post I did on the calculations. It is in a
                > message somewhere in the group.
                >
                > Will check it out tomorrow.
                >
                > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, James Mason
                > <masonjh1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I checked mine--there was a little dirt--and a little spider web
                > not attached--I cleaned it thoroughly--and tested it--it tripped 27
                > times and HeavyWeather showed .73 and WU showed .81. Would have
                > thought the 4 oz of water I used in the test would have shown at
                > least an inch or two. As you can tell, I did dribble the water in
                > cause it to trip 27 times. Thanks for all the comments. I'm
                > checking with LaCrosse ito see if they have any suggestions.

                > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone
                > call rates.

              • James Mason
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7 5:57 PM
                  My rain gauge measures 2.25 inches by 4.875 inches.  So converting I figure mine was 4.9 fl oz.