Re: [wuhu_software_group] Rain Gauge Reading

  • Tom Gunter
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
      I have the same problem.  I'm looking also for suggestions on placement.

      When I did what the instructions said (middle of the yard, 3-4 feet off the ground) I got good readings.  But I have a sprinkler system, so it can't stay there.  I've got it mounted on top of a six-foot fence, but it consistantly reads low.

      On 7/6/06, masonjh1 <masonjh1@...> wrote:

      I know Rain Gauges have been talked about before--but I have a
      LaCrosse 2317CP with rain gauge--my readings are all within acceptable
      parameters, but I'm concerned about my rain gauge reading. We had
      rain last night and my reading was .03 inch--I have a manual rain
      gauge I used before I got my Christmas gift and it read .30 this
      morning. That's 10 times more than my LaCrosse showed. Is there
      anyway of tweaking--or adjusting the rainfall? If not, any suggestions
      as to how I might improve my readings to be more accurate?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
        Are you sure the gauge is free of debris?

        I checked mine recently after a zero rainfall report and sure enough
        it was plugged up.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "masonjh1" <masonjh1@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
          I have a 2310 and I do believe that each tip of the bucket is .02. SO
          I would not get a .03 reading.
          Was it in Heavyweather that you saw the reading and not WU.
          Just to add to my Duh's as Mark would be so quick to point out. I have
          mixed up the hourly rainfall with the total rainfall on the WU report.
          I have also had times when spider webs would stop the rain bucket from
          tipping. Those spider webs are strong, same thing with the wind
          sensor. Every so often, when I think of it, I spray around each of
          them to keep the bugs out.

          Steve
        • Tom Gunter
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
            I had a zero one time and cleaned some spider webs out.  But the low readings continued after that.

            wrote:

            > I know Rain Gauges have been talked about before--but I have a
            > LaCrosse 2317CP with rain gauge--my readings are all within
            acceptable
            > parameters, but I'm concerned about my rain gauge reading. We had
            > rain last night and my reading was .03 inch--I have a manual rain
            > gauge I used before I got my Christmas gift and it read .30 this
            > morning. That's 10 times more than my LaCrosse showed. Is there
            > anyway of tweaking--or adjusting the rainfall? If not, any
            suggestions
            > as to how I might improve my readings to be more accurate?

          • James Mason
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
              I checked mine--there was a little dirt--and a little spider web not attached--I cleaned it thoroughly--and tested it--it tripped 27 times and HeavyWeather showed .73 and WU showed .81.  Would have thought the 4 oz of water I used in the test would have shown at least an inch or two. As you can tell, I did dribble the water in to cause it to trip 27 times.  Thanks for all the comments.  I'm checking with LaCrosse ito see if they have any suggestions.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006
                I am not sure, but .81 / 27 = .03 in per tip.

                The manual states a 1mm resolution. (0.0394 In).

                It is possible that your test was correct.

                I am not sure if 4 oz should have produced an inch or two. You have
                to calculate the surface area of the rain collector then in turn a
                volume calculation.

                It may prove to be accurate.

                I will dig up an old post I did on the calculations. It is in a
                message somewhere in the group.

                Will check it out tomorrow.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, James Mason

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Mason,

                  I found my old post on the approximate surface area of the rain
                  collector (I guessed 3" x 5", should be pretty close).

                  If WUHU registered a .81 increase in the rain total then you can
                  calculate the approximate volume of the water you poured.

                  If the rain collector is approximately 15 sq inches then:

                  .81 (in) x 15 (sq. inches) = 12.15 (cubic inches).

                  12.15 cubic inches is approximately 6.73 fluid oz.

                  Is it possible that you poured 6.73 oz versus 4 oz?

                  > I am not sure, but .81 / 27 = .03 in per tip.
                  >
                  > The manual states a 1mm resolution. (0.0394 In).
                  >
                  > It is possible that your test was correct.
                  >
                  > I am not sure if 4 oz should have produced an inch or two. You have
                  > to calculate the surface area of the rain collector then in turn a
                  > volume calculation.
                  >
                  > It may prove to be accurate.
                  >
                  > I will dig up an old post I did on the calculations. It is in a
                  > message somewhere in the group.
                  >
                  > Will check it out tomorrow.
                  >
                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, James Mason
                  > <masonjh1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I checked mine--there was a little dirt--and a little spider web
                  > not attached--I cleaned it thoroughly--and tested it--it tripped 27
                  > times and HeavyWeather showed .73 and WU showed .81. Would have
                  > thought the 4 oz of water I used in the test would have shown at
                  > least an inch or two. As you can tell, I did dribble the water in
                  > cause it to trip 27 times. Thanks for all the comments. I'm
                  > checking with LaCrosse ito see if they have any suggestions.

                  > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone
                  > call rates.

                • James Mason
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
                    My rain gauge measures 2.25 inches by 4.875 inches.  So converting I figure mine was 4.9 fl oz.