Re: WU Obs vs Reality

  • schaka1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
      I'm in a similar situation. I live south of Chicago. The official
      weather data is taken at O'Hare aitport, approximately 50 miles
      north. There is another METAR at Midway airport, approximately 25
      miles away.

      To the east of Chicago is Lake Michigan which has a HUGE impact on
      the area. How huge you say? There have been occasions when O'Hare
      was either slowed or in a couple of cases, closed because of snow
      storms. In my area you awaken to clear, cold weather!

      Conversely, I'm in the snow belt. What that means is that a cold
      dry north wind blowing from Canada will pick up moisture from the
      relatively warm Lake Michigan waters and drop that over land at the
      southern tip of the lake. I have had a foot or more of snow while
      O'Hare and Midway were reporting cold, clear weather!

      Bottom line, weather is a very localized phenomenon!
      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"
      <debkee@...> wrote:

      > This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!)
      but it was
      > just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR)
      who was
      > taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather
      Hx page.