Re: WU Obs vs Reality

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Deborah,
      That happens many tims to me also. There are no full time airports
      anywhere close to me.
      It works both ways, especially when there are scattered showers &
      thundershowers vs. a large storm system.

      Can be sunny at my house and they show rain, can be raining and they
      show sunny.

      I too have asked WU about this and I would imagine it would be
      difficult to use our reports, at least in my case, as I do not report
      observations on a regular basis.

      Special weather here also :>

      Steve
    • schaka1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
        I'm in a similar situation. I live south of Chicago. The official
        weather data is taken at O'Hare aitport, approximately 50 miles
        north. There is another METAR at Midway airport, approximately 25
        miles away.

        To the east of Chicago is Lake Michigan which has a HUGE impact on
        the area. How huge you say? There have been occasions when O'Hare
        was either slowed or in a couple of cases, closed because of snow
        storms. In my area you awaken to clear, cold weather!

        Conversely, I'm in the snow belt. What that means is that a cold
        dry north wind blowing from Canada will pick up moisture from the
        relatively warm Lake Michigan waters and drop that over land at the
        southern tip of the lake. I have had a foot or more of snow while
        O'Hare and Midway were reporting cold, clear weather!

        Bottom line, weather is a very localized phenomenon!
        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"
        <debkee@...> wrote:

        > This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!)
        but it was
        > just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR)
        who was
        > taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather
        Hx page.