Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WU Obs vs Reality

  • Deborah Kee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Whew! So I assumed something right for a change!  :-)

      Truthfully, I haven't taken the time to learn how to decode the METAR reports, although I do recognize the call letters (?) for a local TV station. I think it's for the TV station - at least it's the same letters. Perhaps that's a coincidence. As for the METAR numbers, well, I'll have to sit down and learn about those some day. I know WU provides the FAQ's about it. Need to print that out I guess.

      Otherwise, it was an interesting phone call. I ended up telling him that we do weather differently here than in TX. Special clouds, etc.  :-)

      Thanks for the help!

      ~ Deborah

      On 7/4/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      Deborah,

      I believe you are 100% correct. Specifically I believe that current
      conditions are derived from the METAR report from the nearby airport
      or official NWS station. If you look at lower left of the current
      conditions, you will see that METAR report.

      The suggestion was made that if a user were to specify a cloud or
      weather condition it would override the nearby observation. I do not
      believe that is implemented at this time.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"

      <debkee@...> wrote:

      > This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!) but
      it was
      > just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR)
      who was
      > taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather
      Hx page.
      > He noted it was currently raining, as he observed watching the rain
      amt
      > increase, but the current conditions list the cloud cover as clear.
      I'm

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Deborah,
        That happens many tims to me also. There are no full time airports
        anywhere close to me.
        It works both ways, especially when there are scattered showers &
        thundershowers vs. a large storm system.

        Can be sunny at my house and they show rain, can be raining and they
        show sunny.

        I too have asked WU about this and I would imagine it would be
        difficult to use our reports, at least in my case, as I do not report
        observations on a regular basis.

        Special weather here also :>

        Steve
      • schaka1
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          I'm in a similar situation. I live south of Chicago. The official
          weather data is taken at O'Hare aitport, approximately 50 miles
          north. There is another METAR at Midway airport, approximately 25
          miles away.

          To the east of Chicago is Lake Michigan which has a HUGE impact on
          the area. How huge you say? There have been occasions when O'Hare
          was either slowed or in a couple of cases, closed because of snow
          storms. In my area you awaken to clear, cold weather!

          Conversely, I'm in the snow belt. What that means is that a cold
          dry north wind blowing from Canada will pick up moisture from the
          relatively warm Lake Michigan waters and drop that over land at the
          southern tip of the lake. I have had a foot or more of snow while
          O'Hare and Midway were reporting cold, clear weather!

          Bottom line, weather is a very localized phenomenon!