Re: WU Obs vs Reality

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      Deborah,

      I believe you are 100% correct. Specifically I believe that current
      conditions are derived from the METAR report from the nearby airport
      or official NWS station. If you look at lower left of the current
      conditions, you will see that METAR report.

      The suggestion was made that if a user were to specify a cloud or
      weather condition it would override the nearby observation. I do not
      believe that is implemented at this time.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"
      <debkee@...> wrote:

      > This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!) but
      it was
      > just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR)
      who was
      > taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather
      Hx page.
      > He noted it was currently raining, as he observed watching the rain
      amt
      > increase, but the current conditions list the cloud cover as clear.
      I'm
      > almost certain that this obs is made from the small airport north
      of here
      > which seems to report every 4 hrs. At least, that's what I told my
      family.
      > Said we had a monsoon happening at the moment, and the weather
      reporting at
      > the airport wasn't real time. Is this a correct assumption (that
      the cloud
      > obs is from someplace like an airport or other more official type
      of place)?

      > It does make for an interesting condition and forecast report. :-)
      >
      > ~ Deborah

    • Deborah Kee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Whew! So I assumed something right for a change!  :-)

        Truthfully, I haven't taken the time to learn how to decode the METAR reports, although I do recognize the call letters (?) for a local TV station. I think it's for the TV station - at least it's the same letters. Perhaps that's a coincidence. As for the METAR numbers, well, I'll have to sit down and learn about those some day. I know WU provides the FAQ's about it. Need to print that out I guess.

        Otherwise, it was an interesting phone call. I ended up telling him that we do weather differently here than in TX. Special clouds, etc.  :-)

        Thanks for the help!

        ~ Deborah

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
          Deborah,
          That happens many tims to me also. There are no full time airports
          anywhere close to me.
          It works both ways, especially when there are scattered showers &
          thundershowers vs. a large storm system.

          Can be sunny at my house and they show rain, can be raining and they
          show sunny.

          I too have asked WU about this and I would imagine it would be
          difficult to use our reports, at least in my case, as I do not report
          observations on a regular basis.

          Special weather here also :>

          Steve
        • schaka1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            I'm in a similar situation. I live south of Chicago. The official
            weather data is taken at O'Hare aitport, approximately 50 miles
            north. There is another METAR at Midway airport, approximately 25
            miles away.

            To the east of Chicago is Lake Michigan which has a HUGE impact on
            the area. How huge you say? There have been occasions when O'Hare
            was either slowed or in a couple of cases, closed because of snow
            storms. In my area you awaken to clear, cold weather!

            Conversely, I'm in the snow belt. What that means is that a cold
            dry north wind blowing from Canada will pick up moisture from the
            relatively warm Lake Michigan waters and drop that over land at the
            southern tip of the lake. I have had a foot or more of snow while
            O'Hare and Midway were reporting cold, clear weather!

            Bottom line, weather is a very localized phenomenon!