WU Obs vs Reality

  • Deborah Kee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
      This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!) but it was just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR) who was taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather Hx page. He noted it was currently raining, as he observed watching the rain amt increase, but the current conditions list the cloud cover as clear. I'm almost certain that this obs is made from the small airport north of here which seems to report every 4 hrs. At least, that's what I told my family. Said we had a monsoon happening at the moment, and the weather reporting at the airport wasn't real time. Is this a correct assumption (that the cloud obs is from someplace like an airport or other more official type of place)?

      It does make for an interesting condition and forecast report.  :-)

      ~ Deborah

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Deborah,

        I believe you are 100% correct. Specifically I believe that current
        conditions are derived from the METAR report from the nearby airport
        or official NWS station. If you look at lower left of the current
        conditions, you will see that METAR report.

        The suggestion was made that if a user were to specify a cloud or
        weather condition it would override the nearby observation. I do not
        believe that is implemented at this time.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee"
        <debkee@...> wrote:

        > This is probably another "duh" subject (keep that count going!) but
        it was
        > just brought to my attention by a family memeber in TX (I'm in AR)
        who was
        > taking a look at my WU Conditions & Forecast page, and my Weather
        Hx page.
        > He noted it was currently raining, as he observed watching the rain
        amt
        > increase, but the current conditions list the cloud cover as clear.
        I'm
        > almost certain that this obs is made from the small airport north
        of here
        > which seems to report every 4 hrs. At least, that's what I told my
        family.
        > Said we had a monsoon happening at the moment, and the weather
        reporting at
        > the airport wasn't real time. Is this a correct assumption (that
        the cloud
        > obs is from someplace like an airport or other more official type
        of place)?

        > It does make for an interesting condition and forecast report. :-)
        >
        > ~ Deborah

      • Deborah Kee
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
          Whew! So I assumed something right for a change!  :-)

          Truthfully, I haven't taken the time to learn how to decode the METAR reports, although I do recognize the call letters (?) for a local TV station. I think it's for the TV station - at least it's the same letters. Perhaps that's a coincidence. As for the METAR numbers, well, I'll have to sit down and learn about those some day. I know WU provides the FAQ's about it. Need to print that out I guess.

          Otherwise, it was an interesting phone call. I ended up telling him that we do weather differently here than in TX. Special clouds, etc.  :-)

          Thanks for the help!

          ~ Deborah

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
            Deborah,
            That happens many tims to me also. There are no full time airports
            anywhere close to me.
            It works both ways, especially when there are scattered showers &
            thundershowers vs. a large storm system.

            Can be sunny at my house and they show rain, can be raining and they
            show sunny.

            I too have asked WU about this and I would imagine it would be
            difficult to use our reports, at least in my case, as I do not report
            observations on a regular basis.

            Special weather here also :>

            Steve
          • schaka1
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
              I'm in a similar situation. I live south of Chicago. The official
              weather data is taken at O'Hare aitport, approximately 50 miles
              north. There is another METAR at Midway airport, approximately 25
              miles away.

              To the east of Chicago is Lake Michigan which has a HUGE impact on
              the area. How huge you say? There have been occasions when O'Hare
              was either slowed or in a couple of cases, closed because of snow
              storms. In my area you awaken to clear, cold weather!

              Conversely, I'm in the snow belt. What that means is that a cold
              dry north wind blowing from Canada will pick up moisture from the
              relatively warm Lake Michigan waters and drop that over land at the
              southern tip of the lake. I have had a foot or more of snow while
              O'Hare and Midway were reporting cold, clear weather!

              Bottom line, weather is a very localized phenomenon!