Re: [wuhu_software_group] Audio Streaming Project, Phase 3 demo.

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      I hope there will be about a bazillion disclaimers before people can
      download this. I know I don't want somebody depending on my stream for
      critical information during hazardous weather. We know that's not a
      good idea. Others might not.

      On 7/1/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I have slapped together a very very basic demo for phase 3 of the weather radio streaming project.
      >
      > This is just a small program that demonstrates the possible functionality of the desk top weather radio.
      >
      > We will put together a list of feature requests from users so feel free to comment.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Demo Page:
      >
      > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Oddcast/StreamDemo.htm

    • Alan Steremberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006

        I think we should push an alert to the desktop, and then when you click there will be an option to listen to the stream, and/or view the NWS text. That way it will still work if the stream is down (ie: no power in a big storm)

        Alan

        --
        Alan Steremberg
        Weather Underground
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
          Looks like the rough draft is a terrific beginning. Simple yet inclusive. The first thing that jumped to my mind is cosmetic ... have the alert text and affected location button in red. Not a big issue at this point.

          Alan mentioned something I was wondering since we started the streaming phase, which is down time due to storms in the affected area. We don't always loose electricity in storms (not like some places I've lived in where the lights went out if a storm was within a 30 mile radius) but if/when it does, our broadcasts aren't going to help anyone. I know we could put the weather radio, computer and modem on a battery backup, but that's not an option for a lot of us. Those things - at least the ones that last a good amount of time during lights-out, are expensive.

          If some sort of action could be taken from WU, perhaps when a warning is issued and published on the corresponding pages, the action could include the broadcast  link for that area. Or maybe that's what the plan already is?

          As for the legal concern, there is no way we as the broadcasters could be liable for someone not getting the info. It would be compared to loosing electricity while watching the local weather guy telling everyone there is a tornado headed  ......   can't hold the messenger liable if the storm damages your property, and I seriously doubt anyone could hold us liable if our system is down for any reason.

          FWIW

          ~ Deborah

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
            Just though I would mention what I found out about my state.
            In New Hampshire all Severe Thunderstorm and Tornado warnings are
            broadcast over all the towers in the state.
            So if there were someone from a different part of the state
            broadcasting, then the odds of both of us being down due to a storm
            is pretty slim.
            SO in the case of NH anyways, one more individual for a backup and
            the entire state is covered even in the event of a power failure due
            to a storm. Would be very reliable.
            WU would just need a way to determine that one station was not
            broadcasting and automaticall switch listeners to the alternate
            station.

            I found this out with a quick E-mail to my local NWS office. Maybe
            it would be a good idea to find out how many other smaller states
            are handled in the same way. It would allow for good coverage with
            the minimal amount of participants needed.

            So, New Hampshire is covered from my broadcast, unless I am down.