WU/HU Uploader - Doesn't keep settings

  • Deborah Kee
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2005
      Anyone else having this problem?

      My WU/HU Uploader program will not keep the settings I put in - any of them. Lat & Lon, ID's, or alert settings. And, once I get it all in, if I click "OK", it closes the program and discards the info. I'd expect this when I click on "cancel" but not for "OK". So, is it me or is this normal for the program?

      Thanks,

      Deborah

    • Dickie.
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2005
        I had this problem once of not keeping settings and what i found, was my files and folder were set to "READ ONLY"  Once I fixed the permissions it was all good and kept the settings.

        Dickie

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Deborah Kee
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2005
          Thanks Dickie. I've changed the permissions but it still doesn't keep the settings. I closed the program and re-opened it after the change, no difference.

          I guess the positive side is that I've now memorized my lat/lon and such.  :-)

          ~ Deborah

          On 10/29/05, Dickie. <nevrenuf69@...> wrote:
          I had this problem once of not keeping settings and what i found, was my files and folder were set to "READ ONLY"  Once I fixed the permissions it was all good and kept the settings.

          Dickie

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Weather stations Personal weather station

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • jjantti2
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2005
            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Kee <debkee@g...>
            wrote:

            > Anyone else having this problem?
            > My WU/HU Uploader program will not keep the settings I put in - any
            > of them.

            I remember having the problem you described when I used version 135.
            This problem shouldn't exist in 138. Try editing the .ini file
            manually and saving it. If it gives you an error message saying that
            the file cannot be saved, it is likely the file has its Read-only
            attribute set.

            Best Regards,
            Juha
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2005
              Deborah,

              Thanks for the bug report.

              I believe that you were not uploading (not started) at the time when
              you pressed Ok. The program would then terminate and not save your
              settings as you describe.

              I have modified the program so that if you are not uploading, the
              program will ask you if you want to start uploading or exit. If you
              choose exit, the settings will be saved and the program will
              terminate. If you choose Yes, your settings will be saved and the
              uploads will start.

              Download version 139 at this link to correct the behavior:

              http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

              wrote:

              > Anyone else having this problem?
              > My WU/HU Uploader program will not keep the settings I put in -
              any of
              > them. Lat & Lon, ID's, or alert settings. And, once I get it all
              in, if I
              > click "OK", it closes the program and discards the info. I'd expect
              this
              > when I click on "cancel" but not for "OK". So, is it me or is this
              normal
              > for the program?
              > Thanks,
              > Deborah

            • Deborah Kee
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2005
                Thanks Juha and Software Guy (I don't know your name!) . . .

                Actually, I had the program in the start/run mode. I'd tried it both ways, started, stopped, but no matter it was the same results. I'm downloading 139 now and will let you know how it works out.

                Thanks!

                ~ Deborah

                wrote:

                > Anyone else having this problem?
                >  My WU/HU Uploader program will not keep the settings I put in -
                any of
                > them. Lat & Lon, ID's, or alert settings. And, once I get it all
                in, if I
                > click "OK", it closes the program and discards the info. I'd expect
                this
                > when I click on "cancel" but not for "OK". So, is it me or is this
                normal
                > for the program?
                >  Thanks,
                >  Deborah

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Deborah Kee
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2005
                  Wow! What a difference!

                  Actually, it still asks if I really want to quit when I click OK, but the big differences are that it started up with the ID etc already in there, AND when the program launched it was already "start"ed. This is cool!

                  Thanks for the fix - it sure makes a huge difference!

                  wrote:

                  > Anyone else having this problem?
                  >  My WU/HU Uploader program will not keep the settings I put in -
                  any of
                  > them. Lat & Lon, ID's, or alert settings. And, once I get it all
                  in, if I
                  > click "OK", it closes the program and discards the info. I'd expect
                  this
                  > when I click on "cancel" but not for "OK". So, is it me or is this
                  normal
                  > for the program?
                  >  Thanks,
                  >  Deborah

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 31, 2005
                    Deborah,

                    Let me know if you find any other bugs in the future.

                    Your feedback is appreciated.

                    unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                    > > ------------------------------

                  • Mark Lancaster
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                      I have tried 139_16 and 139_32 and can't get the software to save
                      the Weather Underground Account Info or the file name under general
                      settings. I know it's uploading because my current data is at the WU
                      website. It just won't save the settings. Any suggestions?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                        Deborah,

                        A couple of things I can think of.

                        1) Did you install WUHU to the default recommended program location?
                        (C:\Program Files\WUHU) during the install?

                        2) Make sure the file "WUHU Configuration Data.ini" is not write
                        protected.

                        Thanks.

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Lancaster"

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                          That last response was directed to Mark, not Deborah.

                          Sorry.
                        • Deborah Kee
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 13, 2005
                            Not a problem . . . thanks for thinking of me though.  :-)

                            ~ Deborah

                            On 11/13/05, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                            That last response was directed to Mark, not Deborah.

                            Sorry.

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • toquagroup
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 17, 2005
                              Have I missed the solution to this problem? I can't save settings
                              either.

                              Also, is there a referance to the upload specification for WU and
                              download from the 2310?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 17, 2005
                                As far as specifications, this software does not communicate through
                                the serial channel to the unit, you must be running another software
                                package (Heavyweather Beta 2.0) tha retrieves the information and
                                stores the data in a file (currdat.lst). You can view the contents of
                                the currdat.lst by opening with notepad.

                                As far as the saving of the settings goes, when you hit the Ok button
                                or the Start button the settings are saved. If you hit cancel (or the
                                little x in the upper right of the window), the settings are not
                                saved.

                                It is impossible for me to debug unless I receive more information.

                                It seems to be working fine for most people, so there must be
                                something that is happening on those machines where the settings are
                                not being saved.

                                If you can provide any more details?

                                1) Did you install WUHU to the default recommended program
                                location? (C:\Program Files\WUHU) during the install? If so, try
                                using the default path as suggested.

                                2) Make sure the file "WUHU Configuration Data.ini" is not write
                                protected. This file is installed by default in to the C:\Program
                                Files\WUHU directory. Right click the file, select properties, make
                                sure the read only attribute is not checked.

                                3) Type of machine? XP or 2000? Service packs?

                                4) Anything else you can think of that would make this machine unique
                                from most others?

                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "toquagroup"
                                <CMOwen@a...> wrote:

                                > Have I missed the solution to this problem? I can't save settings
                                > either.
                                >
                                > Also, is there a referance to the upload specification for WU and
                                > download from the 2310?

                                > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Deborah,
                                > >
                                > > A couple of things I can think of.
                                > >
                                > > 1) Did you install WUHU to the default recommended program
                                > location?
                                > > (C:\Program Files\WUHU) during the install?
                                > >
                                > > 2) Make sure the file "WUHU Configuration Data.ini" is not write
                                > > protected.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks.
                                > >
                                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Lancaster"
                                > > <otis4x5@e...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I have tried 139_16 and 139_32 and can't get the software to
                                save
                                > > > the Weather Underground Account Info or the file name under
                                > general
                                > > > settings. I know it's uploading because my current data is at
                                the
                                > > WU
                                > > > website. It just won't save the settings. Any suggestions?

                                > > > <debkee@g...>

                                > click
                                > > > OK,
                                > already
                                > > > in
                                > > cool!

                                > > > time
                                > save
                                > > > your

                                > uploading,
                                > > > the
                                > exit.
                                > > > If
                                > and
                                > > > the

                                > put
                                > > > in -
                                > > it
                                > > > all
                                > > I'd
                                > or
                                > > > is

                                > > Terms
                                > > > of

                              • toquagroup
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 17, 2005
                                  I did miss the solution. It was because the intallation archive sets
                                  it as read only.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 18, 2005
                                    Thanks for the feedback.

                                    I could not understand why the read-only attribute was somehow set
                                    during install on some installations.

                                    Looking over the installshield files, I found the problem.

                                    The install has been updated to include this fix for future releases
                                    (v. 1.40+).

                                    Thanks for the help.