Re: 72 mile per hour wind gust??

  • mike_swe_seattle
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
      I have one more possible, but untested, solution by way of La Crosse.

      Background: my father-in-law's 2315  was giving erroneus winds and gusts at 14, 28, and 71 mph.  (See this page at WU  for the weirdest day yet.)  He called up La Crosse and, unsurprisingly, they were familiar with the problem.  Their recommendation was to install a toroid.  They kindly sent him one via UPS but we have yet to install it.

      Looks like we should get to it, I'm seeing 14 mph again... might visit him this weekend.

      Mike (vicariously KWAENUMC4/CW5958 )

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee" <debkee@...> wrote:

      > Ron, I think I'm the one with all the hot air with erroneous wind speed.
      > :-)
      >
      > Here's the email I received from La Crosse on how to remedy the situation:
      >
      > These incorrect wind speed readings are caused by electro-magnetic
      > interference; there are two ways this type of interference can be
      > prevented. The easier and less invasive method is to ensure that all
      > of the cable between the wind and thermo hygro sensors is firmly held
      > in place so that it cannot move. This will prevent a static charge
      > from building on the cable due to friction. The more difficult but
      > more effective method is to modify the sensor as shown here:
      > http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm By grounding the
      > cable as illustrated here, any charge will be drained to ground before
      > it can cause any incorrect wind readings.
      >

      > I have to tell ya, the link was rather scary to me. I asked La Crosse
      > if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and they
      > said it wouldn't be.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > ~ Deborah
      >

      > On 6/15/06, Ron W jeffrondee@... wrote:
      > >
      > > These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with the La
      > > Crosse 2310?
      > >
      > > I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
      > > station.
      > >
      > > I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know there has
      > > been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and tweaks
      > > added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.
      > >
      > > Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or delete
      > > the entry?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Ron

    • Ron W
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
        Mike,

        Let us know how the installation goes and the outcome.

        I may have to try that.

        Thanks,

        Ron

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "mike_swe_seattle"
        <cornflux@...> wrote:

        > I have one more possible, but untested, solution by way of La
        Crosse.

        > Background: my father-in-law's 2315
        > <http://franksweather.blessednotlucky.com/> was giving erroneus
        winds
        > and gusts at 14, 28, and 71 mph. (See this page at WU
        > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
        ID=KWAENU\
> [...]
        Crosse
        > > if the warranty would be void if I tried to do it myself, and
        they
        > > said it wouldn't be.
        > >
        > > Hope this helps,
        > >
        > > ~ Deborah
        > >

        > > On 6/15/06, Ron W jeffrondee@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > These wild wind gust must be something that is inherent with
        the
        > La
        > > > Crosse 2310?
        > > >
        > > > I got one today and it is the first time I have seen one, on my
        > > > station.
        > > >
        > > > I don't think I ever saw one on my Sam's club 2317. I know
        there has
        > > > been quite a bit of discussion on the high wind readings and
        tweaks
        > > > added to the WUHU to take care of the problem.
        > > >
        > > > Which is the better way to treat the problem, with tweaks or

      • Deborah Kee
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
          Hmmm, wonder why they didn't tell me about it. Did La Crosse send instructions as well? And if so, do they seem easier than the link La Crosse sent me:

          http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm

          I sure hope so. And as Ron said, please let us know how it goes.

          ~ Deborah